It is a possibility that they take 5.  I am pretty sure that Plano Senior (it's on their calendar) will actually attend the
area competition if they qualify, and they haven't did that in quite a few years. 

I will add Plano East to the list of possible top 5 contenders.   They have a bit of work to do before UIL (I watched them at BOA),
but I also know they just finished the last movement so it was pretty sloppy.   They had some of the toughest music I heard all day 
at the regionals.   They only performed at BOA in exhibition as they were the host of the event.   I no longer have any kids there
(and we are at Plano Senior now anyway), so I haven't really seen much of their show or have any insights about it though!  

Plano Senior sounds really good, but don't think their show design is state material quite yet :)

It's really hard to predict who will advance considering this area is pretty stacked but i'll go ahead and predict the 10 finalists.

(random order) With 1-8 all being possible state qualifiers in my opinion:

1 .Keller

2. L.D.Bell

3. Keller Central

4. Coppell

5. Martin

6. Timber Creek

7. Duncanville

8. Plano East

9. Mansfield

10. Fossil Ridge

Does anyone know which bands will be at the Oct 29 UIL contest at Pennington Field (besides Bell and Trinity)? 

I'm DYING to see FloMo's show but I know that rezoning was done after last marching season that might affect who attends which UIL contest.

Here's the link which has the list of all the bands that could potentially be at the Area B contest on Oct 29. This is a pretty stacked contest with Duncanville, Coppell, LD Bell, Keller, Haltom and Keller Central. Martin and Timber creek potentially could make it as well, especially after their BOA Plano performances (yes I know judging is different for BOA and UIL but they clearly will be in the running). Could we potentially have a contest where one of the regulars does not advance? 

http://www.uilmusic31.org/uploads/7/4/1/7/74170681/6a_area_draw_order_2016.pdf

Isn't it 1 band advances for every 5 bands that make Area? So if Area B has currently 31 schools, and hopefully 25 of those make it past Region to Area, then we should have 5 advancing. Is my thinking correct?

Yes. As long as 25 make 1s and compete then 5 bands will advance to state.

If I absolutely had to choose five, I would choose: L.D. Bell, Duncanville, Keller, Haltom, Martin. My second and third choice would be Coppell and Keller Central, respectively.

I figured I'd also throw my brainstorming out there for fun:

Plausible and not altogether unlikely scenarios:

(1) Coppell places fifth or higher in finals.

(2) Haltom places third or higher in finals.

(3) Either Keller or Duncanville does not place in the top three in either finals or prelims.

(4) Duncanville places over either Keller or L.D. Bell in either prelims or finals.

(5) Either Trinity or Fossil Ridge makes finals.

(6) Keller Central places fifth or higher in finals.

Plausible but less likely scenarios:

(1) Haltom does not place in the top five in finals but two of Martin, Coppell, and Keller Central do.

(2) James Martin, Haltom, and Keller Central place in the top six in finals while Coppell does not.

(3) Duncanville places over both L.D. Bell and Keller in either prelims or finals.

(4) Keller places over both Duncanville and L.D. Bell in either prelims or finals.

Possible, but very unlikely scenarios:

(1) Two of L.D. Bell, Keller, or Duncanville tie either in prelims or in finals.

(2) L.D. Bell places third or lower in finals.

(3) Timber Creek places higher than either Coppell or Keller Central in either prelims or finals.

(4) Both James Martin and Haltom place in the top three in finals while neither Duncanville nor Keller places below fifth.

(5) None of Haltom, Martin, or Coppell takes third or fourth in finals, but two of L.D. Bell, Keller, Duncanville, and Keller Central do.

(6) Haltom places first or second or ties for first or second in either prelims or finals. 

(7) Finals is rained out.

Very improbable scenarios:

(1) Only one of L.D. Bell, Duncanville, Keller, or Haltom places in the top three while both Coppell and James Martin do, in finals.

(2) Either L.D. Bell or Duncanville does not advance.

(3) A band placing lower than seventh in prelims advances to state in finals.

(4) Coppell places fifth or lower in prelims, but then places third or higher in finals.

Hey Mom2BandKid, do you know where I can find the schools participating for other Areas.

A little bit of sleuthing on the region websites and here's what I found. 

Area B- http://www.uilmusic31.org/uploads/7/4/1/7/74170681/6a_area_draw_order_2016.pdf

Area C  http://www.uilregion3music.net/2016%20Area%20Performance%20Order.pdf

Area E- http://www.texasmusicforms.com/regions/13/AREA%20MARCHING/AREA%20MARCHING%20INFORMATION.htm (scroll and click on performance draw order

Area F- http://www.texasmusicforms.com/regions/19/AreaMarching/2016-2017/2016%20Area%20F%206A%20Draw%20Order.xls 

I'll update more if I find them. Ran out of time

Looking at the list of 31 possible bands for Area B, I see losing anywhere from 4 to 7 of those. If we lose 6, we still have 25 and can advance 5. If we lose 7+, we can only advance 4 to State.

We won't fully know until after Region 24 has their contest on October 22nd, but the Region 20 and Region 5 contests on October 15 and 18 respectively will be very telling.

Yes, disappointing results from Region 20 today! Also, surprised to see North Crowley not get a 1 in the new Region 30. This does make things very tight moving forward for advancing 5. I think it will come down to Region 5 on Tuesday and seeing what the Arlington ISD schools do. Last year, only 2 of them received 1's...

Yup, Area B can't lose any more and 3 of the remaining schools got 2's last year. :(

Area B taking just 4 means  some great bands are going to be left out of State. Can you imagine a State marching contest without Duncanville or LD Bell or Coppell? (I guess LD Bell knows what that feels like :(  , didn't they get left out in 2014?)

In 2014, 6A Area B was held at HEB's Pennington Field, had 22 bands in Prelims, 10 in Finals, and advanced 4 bands to State. Marcus, Hebron, Flower Mound, and Haltom. LD Bell was the Alternate.

Since then, the Regions and Areas have been re-aligned and Marcus, Hebron, and Flower Mound (all State Finalists) have been moved out of Area B, but Duncanville, Coppell, and Keller (also all State Finalists) were moved in.

2016 6A Area B will also be held at HEB's Pennington Field and looks very likely to have

In 2014, 6A Area B was held at HEB's Pennington Field, had 22 bands in Prelims, 10 in Finals, and advanced 4 bands to State. Marcus, Hebron, Flower Mound, and Haltom. LD Bell was the Alternate.

Since then, the Regions and Areas have been re-aligned and Marcus, Hebron, and Flower Mound (all State Finalists) have been moved out of Area B, but Duncanville, Coppell, and Keller (also all State Finalists) were moved in.

2016 6A Area B will also be held at HEB's Pennington Field and looks very likely to have <25 bands in Prelims, 10 in Finals, and advancing only 4 bands to State.

the band advancing to state just depends on how many bands get 1s in uil. If 25 bands in our area get 1s and move onto area then 5 bands will advance