Area E Predictions?

I'm very very interested to see how Area E will turn out this year. From what I've heard, a lot of bands in this area have started very successful seasons and are only getting better. With the new schools in the area, I think making state will be tougher if they keep the same number of bands to advance (4 I believe). I don't feel like there are any locks in this area... anything could happen really. Area E Finals might be surprising this year. By no means will I be accurate. I'm just making my prediction on what I know/have seen/have heard.

(List in no particular order):

Top Four:
Cy-Fair HS
Cypress Falls HS
Clements HS
Stephen F. Austin HS

Upper Bubble:
Friendswood HS
Clear Brook HS 

James E. Taylor HS

Seven Lakes HS

Lower Bubble:

Langham Creek HS
Dickinson HS

Looking forward to attending this competition! Good luck to all the bands!

There are a lot of schools that deserve to go to state in this area. Hopefully, there will be enough bands qualifying for area to guarantee 6 or 7 spots to state.

The competition will be like the old Area E (CFISD, KISD, and FBISD) with the addition of notable schools such as Friendswood, Clear Brook, and Brazoswood. Schools who show some promise include Cy-Fair and James E. Taylor. Langham and Cy-Falls prove to compete as well as Seven Lakes and Tompkins in Katy. SFA has been very clean and have been improving steadily in the past few years. Friendswood is still a very strong contender even with their mishaps through the season so far.

The schools who advance to Area finals have a high likelihood to make state.

Isn't Friendswood usually a lock for state and usually 1st place at area? What has happened this year to make them not be locks? Just curious as I haven't been able to see their show yet.

19th at BOA Conroe. The show is perfectly fine but it was REALLY dirty. Nothing they can't clean just a slow start.

Here is my analysis of Area A for what it's worth:

There are 46 6A bands which could potentially advance to the Area E competition.  32 of the bands got a 1 at UIL in 2015 including 5 in 5A last year which have moved up to 6A this year.  7 more received a 1/2/2 in 2015 and, of those, 4 received a 1 in 2014 and advanced to Area.  Based on this data, I think it is a lock that Area E will advance 6 bands to State and likely to advance 7 if all 32 bands from last year receive a 1 again and 3 of the 7 who received a 1/2/2 receive a 1 this year.

That being said, here are my thoughts on the most likely bands to advance to Area E finals based on recent history and competitions so far this year:

(1) SFA (1st at Friendswood this year; 5th at BOA Conroe in 2015; 2nd at Area E in 2014/26th at State in 2014)

(2) Cy-Falls (Will perform at Battle of Berry this Saturday); 6th at BOA Atlanta in 2015; 3rd at Area E in 2014/24th at State in 2014)

(3) Cy-Fair (7th at BOA Conroe this year; 17th at BOA San Antonio in 2015; 4th at Area E in 2014/14th at State in 2014)

(4) Friendswood (3rd at Texas Music Classic in Round Rock this year; 15th at BOA San Antonio in 2015; 1st at Area F in 2014/15th at State in 2014)

(5) J. E. Taylor (8th at BOA Conroe this year; 13th at BOA Conroe in 2015)

(6) Brazoswood (11th at BOA Conroe this year; 15th at BOA San Antonio in 2015; 8th at Area E in 2014)

(7) Clements (7th at Friendswood this year; 11th BOA Atlanta; 1st at Area E in 2014/22nd at State in 2014)

(8) Clear Brook (2nd at Friendswood this year; 3rd at Friendswood in 2015; 13th at Area F in 2014)

(9) Seven Lakes (14th at BOA Conroe this year; 6th at Area E in 2014)

(10) Langham Creek (15th at BOA Conroe this year; 5th at Area E in 2014)

Other possibilities:

Dickinson

Tompkins

Clear Lake

Jersey Village

October 29th at the Berry Center will be suspenseful as there many solid bands fighting for the 6-7 spots.  Good luck to all the Area E bands!

Thoughts?

I don't know specifics, but if I'm not mistaken Dickinson made state in 2014. And Clear Lake was 11th at Area F in 2014. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Brook band has a very good sound. Their drumline is amazing but I feel like it's heavily featured because they just aren't there with their winds.

Did you see the Clements band yesterday? How were they?

Didn't get to see them yesterday, but they did get 5th at the Lone Star Preview. They must be cleaning pretty well. I saw their show on  the 13th and it is still visually below a lot of bands in this area, but musically they are tearing it up (in a good way!). Given some time and it should be very good. They march a difficult show.

Didn't get to see them yesterday, but they did get 5th at the Lone Star Preview. They must be cleaning pretty well. I saw their show on the 13th and it is still visually below a lot of bands in this area, but musically they are tearing it up (in a good way!). Given some time and it should be very good. They march a difficult show.

They were very close to winning the music caption yesterday I heard, if they can get it clean I'm sure they'll do well at area/state.

Anyone see Friendswood/Seven Lakes/Tompkins shows in October? I've been trying to catch their performances, but have never found the time.

I have seen Seven Lakes and Tompkins this past week. 

Seven Lakes' show is really taking shape. They have some really difficult brass features that have been cleaned up as the weeks have gone by. I absolutely love the music and the contrast between movement to movement. They really put on a show.

Tompkins' show is growing too. They have a very mature sound for a band that is only three years old. Their show did not move me as much as Seven Lakes', but they definitely look a lot more cleaner in general. The woodwind section has some pretty neat runs throughout the show that are plenty difficult, and I think making 6A Area Finals a year after 5A Area Finals is completely doable. 

i think top 5 will be 

1) Stephen F Austin (2nd Place at Lone Star Preview)

2) Cy Fair ( won Battle at the Berry, and finalist at Conroe BOA)

3)Brazoswood ( 2nd place at Battle at the Berry, 6th place visual performance, and 5th place music performance at Conroe BOA

4) James Taylor ( 3rd place at Battle at the Berry, and Conroe BOA finalist)

5 )Clear Brook ( 4th Place at Lone Star Preview)

next 5- Clements, North Shore, Friendswood, Dickinson, Cy Falls

Lots of good bands, and hopefully 7 advancing to state

i think top 5 will be 

1) Stephen F Austin (2nd Place at Lone Star Preview)

2) Cy Fair ( won Battle at the Berry, and finalist at Conroe BOA)

3)Brazoswood ( 2nd place at Battle at the Berry, 6th place visual performance, and 5th place music performance at Conroe BOA

4) James Taylor ( 3rd place at Battle at the Berry, and Conroe BOA finalist)

5 )Clear Brook ( 4th Place at Lone Star Preview)

next 5- Clements, North Shore, Friendswood, Dickinson, Cy Falls

Lots of good bands, and hopefully 7 advancing to state

I do believe Langham Creek, Seven Lakes, and Tompkins should be put in the mix as well.