BOA McAllen - September 17th

8:00 Johnny G. Economedes H.S., TX
8:15 Edinburg H.S., TX
8:30 Raymondville H.S., TX
8:45 McAllen Memorial H.S., TX
9:00 Veterans Memorial H.S., TX (Mission)

BREAK

9:45 Lopez H.S., TX
10:00 Pioneer H.S., TX
10:15 Santa Rosa H.S., TX
10:30 Robert Vela H.S., TX
10:45 Grulla H.S., TX
11:00 Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX
11:15 Valley View H.S., TX

LUNCH

12:30 Harlingen H.S., TX
12:45 Harlingen South H.S., TX
1:00 Rivera Early College H.S., TX
1:15 Edinburg North H.S., TX
1:30 Lake Travis H.S., TX
1:45 Juarez-Lincoln H.S., TX
2:00 Roma H.S., TX

BREAK

2:45 Homer Hanna H.S., TX
3:00 Judson H.S., TX
3:15 James Bowie H.S., TX
3:30 McAllen H.S., TX
3:45 Veterans Memorial H.S., TX (Brownsville)
4:00 McAllen James Nikki Rowe H.S., TX
4:15 Palmview H.S., TX

Music Panel - Carl Bly, Dave Carbone, Marty Griffin, Stephen Meyer
Visual Panel - Ken Giese, Adam Sage, Jim Sturgeon
Chief Judge - Albert Lo

For this, I'm thinking Bowie takes it and all captions. Not sure about the margin though. 

I definitely see Judson and Harlingen battling for second for an interesting preview of the new Area G. 

The rest of this regional, besides putting Hidalgo, Hanna and Roma in finals, is more difficult to predict. I like Grulla's chances a lot - depending on their exact enrollment, they could potentially knock Hidalgo off from 1A Champion. Lake Travis is also one to watch - it could be their first regional finals

I think it's great that Bands of America decided to make an installment down south for the RGV schools. There is definitely plenty of talented schools down there. For Grand Champions, I'm thinking James Bowie should be able to take that title, and with almost no competition. The rest, we'll have to wait and see. Here's my Finalists Prediction:

1. James Bowie H.S., Austin

2. Judson H.S., Converse

3. Harlingen H.S., Harlingen

4. Lake Travis H.S., Austin

5. Grulla H.S., Rio Grande City

6. Hanna H.S., Brownsville

7. Lopez H.S., Brownsville

8. Roma H.S., Roma

9. Harlingen South H.S., Harlingen

10. Hidalgo H.S., Hidalgo

Bands that could be in the mix:

Palmview H.S., La Joya

Edinburg North H.S., Edinburg

Pioneer H.S., Sharyland

Vela H.S., Edinburg

I believe that Bowie will sweep this event - just as CTJ did last year when this BOA was launched in South Texas.

I think it is great to get some of the BOA big names to attend and promote the event and continue to build those programs and drive them to do more - in time we can hope that some of those programs will then compete in Austin, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio BOA Events and show bring new energy to the program.there is a great deal of talent in those programs

I am surprised that Bowie is attending this but not attending the BOA in Austin the following week

I am surprised that Bowie is attending this but not attending the BOA in Austin the following week

Bowie was initially signed up for the BOA Plano regional, but they were later dropped from the regional list, so I don't think Bowie is wanting to attend many (as in more than 3) regionals at all, despite the fact that they typically attend the BOA Austin regional.

So I'll definitley admit I am no expert on bands form the Valley area/down south.  

I'm thinking this is definitely Bowie's to lose.  Yes they had a director change, but with it being a Nationals and State year, I'm sure they'll be fine.  I'm not going on much with them, but they're historically good so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

After James Bowie I'm thinking Judson, Lake Travis, and Harlingen.  I haven't seen anything of Harlingen but they're historically a very good band from that area, and even tied Claudia Taylor Johnson in Music at this even last year, so they're obviously a talented group of musicians.  I've seen some videos of Lake Travis and Judson online.  Seems like Judson is a band coming into their own, very nice big sounds and a really strong color guard, to my untrained eye at least.  Lake Travis looks and sounds a ton better than they have this early in awhile from what I can tell.  They should have a really strong showing.  

After that, Hana is alwyas really solid.  Grulla is a newer school if I'm not mistaken than has really blossomed in the last few years and is constantly growing.  Hidalgo is coming off of their very successful season in Class A last year, and made finals pretty easily last year so I expect them to put on a great show.  Roma is another historically strong program in that area, and made finals as well last year.  

After that it gets a little bit unclear for me, lots of programs that could be right on that bubble.  Should be a fun fight for finals!  Looking forward to watching it online.  

HornRank has weighed in:

1. James Bowie H.S., TX[/size]2. Harlingen H.S., TX[/size]3. Lopez H.S., TX[/size]4. Hidalgo H.S., TX[/size]5. Lake Travis H.S., TX[/size]6. Homer Hanna H.S., TX[/size]7. Roma H.S., TX[/size]8. Edinburg North H.S., TX[/size]9. Harlingen South H.S., TX[/size]10. Palmview H.S., TX[/size]

Wow! No Grulla HS in that top 10 list! That's an eyebrow-raiser. Grulla HS got 4th place in the TMEA State Honor Band competition this summer. They also got 4th place at the State Marching Band Contest in 2014, and 14th in 2012. Hidalgo HS, on the other hand, their rival school, didn't make finals at the 2014 Area Marching contest.

For the record: I am not affiliated with Grulla HS or any Valley band for that matter. Just stating some facts. My children march for Cedar Park High School. I'm just very surprised and proud of Grulla's successes in the very short amount of time that they've been around.

Wow! No Grulla HS in that top 10 list! That's an eyebrow-raiser. Grulla HS got 4th place in the TMEA State Honor Band competition this summer. They also got 4th place at the State Marching Band Contest in 2014, and 14th in 2012. Hidalgo HS, on the other hand, their rival school, didn't make finals at the 2014 Area Marching contest.

For the record: I am not affiliated with Grulla HS or any Valley band for that matter. Just stating some facts. My children march for Cedar Park High School. I'm just very surprised and proud of Grulla's successes in the very short amount of time that they've been around.

I'm attributing that to a lack of awareness of the program's down there myself. They're definitely worthy of being on that list.

Prelims Results:

Class A:

Music - Pioneer

Visual - Pioneer

GE - Pioneer

1) Pioneer

2) Hidalgo Early College

3) Raymondville Early College

Class AA:

Music - Roma

Visual - Roma

GE - Grulla

1) Roma

2) Grulla

3) Valley View

Class AAA:

Music - Robert Vela

Visual - Harlingen South

GE - Lopez Early College

1) Lopez Early College

2) Robert Vela

3) Harlingen South

Class AAAA:

Music - James Bowie

Visual - James Bowie

GE - James Bowie

1) James Bowie

2) Harlingen

3) Homer Hanna

Finalists (Random Order):

- Judson

- Pioneer

- Edinburg North

- Homer Hanna

- Harlingen

- Lopez Early College

- Lake Travis

- James Bowie

- Robert Vela

- Hidalgo Early College

FINALS PERFORMANCE ORDER

7:45 p.m. - Lopez Early College H.S., TX

8:00 p.m. - Robert Vela H.S., TX

8:15 p.m. - Judson H.S., TX

8:30 p.m. - Edinburg North H.S., TX

8:45 p.m. - Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX

9:00 p.m. - Pioneer H.S., TX

9:15 p.m. - Lake Travis H.S., TX

9:30 p.m. - James Bowie H.S., TX

9:45 p.m. - Harlingen H.S., TX

10:00 p.m. - Homer Hanna H.S., TX

10:15 p.m. - Class Champion Exhibition: Roma H.S., TX

Also notably, this is the first time a 2A band medaled in Texas in at least a solid decade, and probably closer to 15ish years (maybe Leander or The Colony?).

Just kidding - Vandegrift did so at Houston in 2010. Still pretty rare and a nice accomplishment!

Bowie is in great shape judging by winning every judge in prelims and finals. Can't wait to see them amongst peer competition in Plano.