Grand Nationals 2015 - Thoughts on Our Attending Bands

So San Antonio is done, and all that is left after state is Grand Nationals.  I think we're sending 5 REALLY good bands this year!  Some thoughts on the shows and their potential growth:

Hebron - 360

It has been tons of fun watching them develop since 2011 when they missed SA finals.  They're definitely at the forefront of the Texas scene right now.  And their show this year is a doozy.  Musically, they're just going to be a masterclass of technique at Nationals, I would not be at all surprised if they come home with a music caption.  Notes EVERYWHERE!  Visually, still some work to do.  Closer seems fresh, and there's some moments in the opener that could definitely be more polished.  That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with the visual design of the show.  It's not 1st in Visual GE strong, but it's not 12th either.  Clean visually and keep progressing musically and they're looking at a very strong first Nationals.  I think the show works really well, not too complex, but it's fully realized.  And that ballad, that's going to be THE moment of Nationals this year.  

Placement Prediction

Ceiling - 1st

Floor - 6th

The Woodlands - Timebenders

The Woodlands has been on my mind a lot since Saturday.  The more I think about it, the more I think about how much I really enjoyed their show.  I think by nationals it could become my favorite show from them for a few reasons:

1)  Use of Narration

I'm definitely not a huge fan of narration in general unless it does a few things:

a)  Doesn't sound cheesy/unprofessional.

B)  Only contributes to the shows thematic material.

c)  Doesn't get in the way of music.  

I think they nailed it in all three of those categories.  Kinda quirky voice that fit in well with the shows strangeness, it HUGELY helped my understanding of the show, which is pretty obviously a time distortion theory show, and it was used only in the transitional moments to introduce the idea of each section.  

2)  FANTASTIC Visual Program

The Woodlands DEFINITELY has a reputation for having some of the best performed and designed visual programs in a state that often gets ridiculed for "boring" and "uninspired" visual programs.  I don't agree with that, and I'll venture to say out of all the GN shows I've seen, my two favorite visual programs come from Texas bands!  The Woodlands is just downright cool.  The time distortion theme is present in ALL aspects of this show, music, visual, props, and narration.  Visually, there is some just downright cool stuff going on.  The juxtaposition of the two different time theories in the beginning is represented by a few things.  Curvlinear vs. Linear is utilized throughout this part.  And my favorite thing, towards the end of the opener there is a REALLY cool ripple that is slow on one half, and fast on the other, and somehow manages to end at the same time!  That blew my mind.  Through the rest of the show it's pretty evident as well, in the ballad where it talks about time standing still, the guard has some really neat choreography that just plays PERFECTLY with what is happening in the narration.  Then in the closer, where it talks about order, quite the opposite is going on with some pretty crazy drill.  Also of note, was it just a few years ago where their guard was under 20 members?  They've REALLY grown in recent years, and they're fantastic this year.  LOVE the color scheme and choreography, they just fill the field with color and movement, and play on the theme very well.  

3)  Cohesiveness

Their last two shows were awesome, definitely 2013.  But why I like this one a bit more is it's a bit more direct in its theme, less up for interpretation.  The combination of the narration, drill, visuals, music, ect. just comes together really well.  I really enjoyed it.

Placement Prediction?

This literally just comes down to cleaning.  I think the show is definitely there.  I think they have a little more cleaning to do musically than visually, but this show will place as high as they can clean IMO.  IF magic happens and they show up at 2013 levels..............you never know.  But IMO:

Ceiling - 2nd (1st if the REALLY clean)

Floor - 8th (only if they don't get a lot cleaner).

Round Rock - This is My Letter to the World

One of the bigger surprises for me this year.  Round Rock the last few years has been just RAW POWER.  Remember the opening impacts of "The Raven" and "Elemental Evolution"?  Talk about blowing your socks off.  So when I heard they were scaling down size a little bit and doing a Copland show I was a bit puzzled.  Needless to say, they proved me wrong and they pulled through with an absolutely beautiful show this year.  Visually, it's just exquisite!  The drill is SO smartly written with great staging, tons of demand, and FANTASTIC effect.  The guard's color scheme in the pastels and their silks is just downright gorgeous.   And I love the backdrops.  Musically it's everything you'd expect from a GOOD "Appalachian Spring" show.  Beautiful, emotional, lush, and engaging.  The last push starting back field and how it ends is just breathtaking.  I think their 4th in prelims was not a fluke, they seemed stronger in prelims.  Their visual performance is definitely there, and I think musically it is too.  Just polish some musically and keep growing, and they'll be set.  If they do what they did in 2013 in terms of growth, they're a dark horse.  

Placement Prediction:

Ceiling - 3rd

Floor - 9th

Keller - Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Finals in Conroe, finals in Arlington, and finals in San Antonio.  I'd say this is probably their best season since around 2008?  They've really blossomed in the past few years.  I think their show is really nice.  The highlight of which was their HUGE color guard.  Loved their contribution of color and movement.  Opening moment is particularly nice.  Some really nice drill in the show, lots of great symbolism in the program.  Some really nice musical moments as well, the intro again is just lush.  I think the back half of the show seems pretty fresh, and once it cleans it will be really great!  Just an overall nice program.

Placement Prediction:

Ceiling - 10th

Floor - 20th

Keller Central - Found

Cracking finals at Arlington was very impressive, and they were in the top 30 in San Antonio!  Really solid program, lots of great technical moments which is to be expected in a show that includes "Harrison's Dream", I've played the concert version and it is an animal.  Some really nice ensemble visual moments, love the color scheme that the guard provides.  Overall, great show.  I think they'll make a solid semifinalist.  

Placement Prediction:

Ceiling - 15th

Floor - 30th (Lots of good bands in this range).  

Anyone else have any thoughts, potential growth, predictions, how they'll stack up?  

I said this in another topic, but I think The Woodlands and Round Rock will have much stronger finishes at nationals than they did at San Antonio, simply because it won't be nearly as competitive at the top as San Antonio was. Not to mention that Round Rock seems to explode with improvement after San Antonio. Heck, Round Rock could even pass Hebron at Nationals on the off chance Hebron doesn't improve much. They definitely shouldn't be underestimated. And I think the Woodlands can finish strongly in the top 5, especially with enough tweaking to their show. The Woodlands still has just as strong of performers as they always do, so they will no doubt be a serious force to be reckoned with at Nationals even if their program isn't "Crossing Boundaries" strong this year. The Woodlands is also very experienced in going to Grand Nationals, so I'm sure that will play into their favor as well. I truly believe that both Round Rock and The Woodlands have it in them to finish in the top 5 at least. They should both represent Texas very well! 

Hebron is kind of unpredictable since this is their first time going to Nationals. They could move up or down in placements, but there's just no way to tell for sure. If I had to guess right now I would put them solidly around 3rd or 4th, but we'll see what they look like a week and a half from now. The one thing about them that I do feel pretty sure about is their chances to win the Music caption. I don't think Hebron really has any major competition in that area like they do at San Antonio, so they'll most likely win that caption pretty easily. Nothing's a guarantee in BOA though, so you never know. How they finish overall will be determined by how they do in visual and GE. I have no doubt they'll improve in those areas, but the question is how much. There are 2 other things about them that I'll be interested to see, which is 1). Will they add anything else to their show? and 2). What will their new uniforms do for their look visually (assuming the talk about Hebron getting new uniforms is actually true)? Regardless, they should do very well!

I'm SO excited to see how Keller does. This is another group that may be a bit unpredictable since this is their first trip to Nationals. I want them to make finals so bad! And the exciting thing is that they definitely have it in them to pull it off. I was extremely impressed with how strong they were at BOA San Antonio, I mean this is honestly the strongest Keller group I've ever seen. There are other strong bubble bands that are going to be giving them competition, but I think they've put themselves in a good position as far as being able to compete for that finals spot. Since there will be so much competition it's all going to come down to whether or not the judging goes in their favor, and I really hope it does! They would be a very worthy Grand Nationals finalist. Good luck Keller! 

I think Keller Central is going to finish much better than people may expect them to. They have really made some impressive strides these past few years. In fact they kind of remind me of Wakeland last year. They may not quite make finals, but they are still a fantastic band that will make some noise in semis. This group has a bright future ahead of them and this first Grand Nationals appearance will no doubt continue their growth. Can't wait to see how they do!  

And as a side note, I really wish Flower Mound and Reagan were going this year. I think Flower Mound would have a very good shot at the Eagle, and it would be awesome to see Reagan return to Indy as a powerhouse/ medalist contender. They will no doubt get their chance some day in the future along with CTJ. 

I'm thinking Round Rock could surge at Nationals again. I was really impressed by what I saw from them in prelims at SA. (I didn't watch finals.) I feel like they took to heart some of the criticisms that people have made about their show this year -- namely the one about how it was lacking their signature power. I got a lot more out of it than I was expecting, and they could even improve on that within the next two weeks. I still think the show is visually exquisite and one of the stronger shows of the year in that regard. I know that Marie C popped them a 19.0 in ensemble visual in prelims, which certainly helped with that 4th place finish. It's nice to see some of my earlier predictions about their visual program come to fruition, even if the finals judges at SA didn't agree as much.

I think Hebron should just keep on doing what they're doing. After SA, they have to be the Texas hope at Nationals this year, even though that probably means that they will place 3rd at best, with Avon and Broken Arrow battling it out for first. Still, I'll be shocked (SHOCKED!) if Hebron doesn't walk away with that music caption. At the moment, they sound so much better than any of the other groups going to Nationals this year, and I don't think anyone will catch up. Notes and notes galore, and played magnificently. By the way, Hebron is another group that I think let their hair down a little bit at San Antonio. The energy of the rest of the show seemed to come closer to the energy of the ballad, which is something I've wanted from them all season.

The Woodlands' show seems like it will ultimately be too divisive to place in the top 3 at Nationals. Maybe that's the price of being different. In prelims at SA, all 3 GE judges gave them Box 5 scores, as did the ensemble music judge, but in finals, their music scores dropped across the board. Not a single Box 5 score. Their visual scores in finals, on the other hand, were the highest of the Nats group, including a whopping 18.8 in visual GE, similar to the 18.5 they received in prelims. I'm not really sure what to make of this, besides the fact that they're stronger visually than they are musically. One thing to keep in mind is that The Woodlands will definitely sound better relative to the groups at Nationals than they did at San Antonio. Texas bands just sound so much better.

My feeling watching Keller in prelims was that the show was very, very close to being National finalist caliber, but maybe not quite there. They were the one group that got away in my SA finals predictions. I had Westlake in finals over them. Still, I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. They placed 12th in prelims. The fact that they were able to make the cut at SA means they've got a good shot at making the cut at Nats, though don't tell Blue Springs that.

I'm not sure I caught Keller Central in prelims. Maybe part of the show. They're doing Harrison's Dream, right? With the compass? I think it's super ambitious of them to tackle Harrison's Dream. I think Marian Catholic's 2002 show casts a very long shadow over just about every group that has tried the piece since then. Anyway, since I missed KC in prelims, I definitely look forward to seeing what they bring to Nats as I watch the GN webcast!

Best of luck to all!

Round Rock seems to have one of the most polarizing shows this year. Either the judges love them or hate them. I think this is especially evident in the huge difference in scores that they received from MGE judges at Arlington and SA. How does one MGE judge score you 15.5 while the other 17.4 (Arlington prelims),  15.6 vs 16.8 (Arlington finals), or 16.8 vs 18.0 (SA)? I know that judges often disagree, but 1.2 to 1.9 difference in the same category? It's especially disconcerting because at Arlington finals the second largest diff between MGE judges was .8 and at SA finals the second largest diff was .7. 

For those in the DFW area, Hebron is having a Grand Nationals send off performance on Monday Nov 9.

https://twitter.com/TheHebronBand/status/661314125792849922

I know there will be groups from FloMo and Marcus going over to wish them great success.

it makes me SO happy when schools go out of there way to support each others programs. bravo!

Round Rock seems to have one of the most polarizing shows this year. Either the judges love them or hate them. I think this is especially evident in the huge difference in scores that they received from MGE judges at Arlington and SA. How does one MGE judge score you 15.5 while the other 17.4 (Arlington prelims),  15.6 vs 16.8 (Arlington finals), or 16.8 vs 18.0 (SA)? I know that judges often disagree, but 1.2 to 1.9 difference in the same category? It's especially disconcerting because at Arlington finals the second largest diff between MGE judges was .8 and at SA finals the second largest diff was .7. 

What I've seen with Round Rock this season is inconsistency. In San Antonio, their prelim performance was so much better than their finals performance. Heck, they beat Hebron and The Woodlands in that prelim and then fell below both of them in the finals - by quite a bit. In Arlington, their finals performance was much better than their prelim performance. I hope they can get the issues worked out and have consistently good performances at Indianapolis.

Really look forward to seeing all of the Texas bands at Grand Nats next week.  So much respect for those bands who always bring incredible performances.  The Marcus performance from a few years ago is still one of my favorites and turned this Indiana band fan into a Marcus fan!  Thanks for the synopsis of each of the bands attending, gives me a little history and what to look for when I am watching.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to a Texas band take home the championship, but having seen Avon several times this year they will be difficult to beat.  I'm sure Broken Arrow will also be right there at the top.  Although Carmel hasn't been close to Avon (in scores) this season their sound is great and I think they will be in the mix.  Best of luck to all of the Texas bands, look forward to a great Grand Nats.

I think that Hebron has a VERY good chance at winning the eagle, in addition to the music caption. Even with the non-Texas bands that are very consistent in placing high at grand nationals, such as Avon, Carmel, and Broken Arrow, I strongly believe that a "Texas sweep" is possible (Hebron, The Woodlands, Round Rock). Also very excited for Keller, their show is fantastic and they definitely have a great chance at making finals.

I think that Hebron has a VERY good chance at winning the eagle, in addition to the music caption. Even with the non-Texas bands that are very consistent in placing high at grand nationals, such as Avon, Carmel, and Broken Arrow, I strongly believe that a "Texas sweep" is possible (Hebron, The Woodlands, Round Rock). Also very excited for Keller, their show is fantastic and they definitely have a great chance at making finals.

I'd like to believe that.  But both Avon and Broken Arrow boasted a considerable lead over some very strong GN-tier bands at the St. Louis and Indy Super Regionals (Broken Arrow was 4 points ahead of Union, OK, which I'd say is a comparable band to maybe Bowie or Cedar Park). I have Hebron and the Woodlands in 3rd and 4th ahead of Carmel....but even they could prove to be problematic.  Round Rock will be somewhere in the middle of finals and I think Keller will slip in to 11th or 12th (with Central somewhere in the Semis block).

I'd like to believe that.  But both Avon and Broken Arrow boasted a considerable lead over some very strong GN-tier bands at the St. Louis and Indy Super Regionals (Broken Arrow was 4 points ahead of Union, OK, which I'd say is a comparable band to maybe Bowie or Cedar Park). I have Hebron and the Woodlands in 3rd and 4th ahead of Carmel....but even they could prove to be problematic.  Round Rock will be somewhere in the middle of finals and I think Keller will slip in to 11th or 12th (with Central somewhere in the Semis block).

Actually after watching Round Rock's SA prelims performance, that 4th place wasn't a fluke. From what I heard, their finals performance was ROUGH and they had some electronics issues. I personally didn't like the show very much early on, but it's turned into something really beautiful and powerful. My bold prediction is that they along with Hebron will be in the top 4 with Broken Arrow and Avon. I also think they're the strongest Texas group visually right now. 

Speaking of Round Rock, what's the significance of the woman in the picture at the end that is being held up?  I get that it's a man, his bride, and family there at the end, but not sure what her significance is.  Thanks in advance!  Like stated above, this show grows on me every time I see it.  

I had to do some research on this: The lady is Martha Graham. She was a dancer (ballet) and it was her choreographed 1944 version of Appalachian Spring that Round Rock's show is based on. If you watch the videos, the show will make a lot more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=martha+graham+appalachian+spring

Actually after watching Round Rock's SA prelims performance, that 4th place wasn't a fluke. From what I heard, their finals performance was ROUGH and they had some electronics issues. I personally didn't like the show very much early on, but it's turned into something really beautiful and powerful. My bold prediction is that they along with Hebron will be in the top 4 with Broken Arrow and Avon. I also think they're the strongest Texas group visually right now. 

This year was weird though.  Round Rock's destiny was sealed in the eyes of much of the band community once their penalty cost them the gold in Austin......but Round Rock technically was the strongest band at Austin, and also right behind FloMo, Hebron and Marcus at Arlington.  Despite all that, them getting 10th at SA doesn't surprise me any more than if they had won the whole thing.  The placement of the Conroe finalists were hard to transfer to San Antonio based on the fact that CTJ didn't score as well as expected at McAllen and the Woodlands only performed in prelims.

Even if Flower Mound were going instead of one of the other bands, it doesn't change how I think the Texas bands would fare against BA, Avon & Carmel.