2015 UIL State Comments Thread

Xenon

I think I can EASILY say this is the absolute best 5A (old 4A) contest there has ever been.  Some of these bands would contend for a medal in 6A for that matter.  

I think the depth in Austin has been building for some time, with those schools splitting off into new schools to avoid jumping to 6A. I disagree with you though. It is not the "absolute best" 5A contest ever. It is one of the best. And there have been bands from previous years at the contest that would have had a chance to make top 5 at 6A state as well.

Judge 2 will be all the talk but the crazy part is despite his weird rankings it really didn't seem to change much. His disparity in the top 3 wasn't much even though they were lower. I thought the top 3 had a clear tier above anyone else and he almost single handily but vista ahead of Leander. So at least it didn't seem to displace a band from where they shouldve been in that sense. If he had had CP or Vandy 1 or 2 and then the other as low as 5 or 6 that would've been even harder to swallow for the band getting the lower rank. Despite Leander's issues in finals these numbers stayed pretty consistent with prelims so I think for whatever reason Vandy and CP just surged ahead of them since Area, at least on the UIL scope. I'm for Leander and even I knew we were probably getting bronze although CP and Vandy was extremely close to call, and indeed it was. So yeah judge 2 is questionable but it all played out the way I think it should've anyway so that's good.

ladybookwork - it's somewhat been done already based on BOA San Antonio (with the variation being the quality of the specific run) -

At BOA (for those of the finalists that competed) it was:

- Cedar Park

- Vandegrift

- Wakeland

in finals

layering in the prelims, you then get:

- Vista Ridge

- Aledo

The big wild card are the bands that didn't get to compete at BOA due to weather (Leander, Dripping Springs)