2015 BOA San Antonio Comments Thread

Xenon

I feel like a bunch of the performances got lost in all the discussion on the weather related things...................some personal thoughts on the finalist contention bands:

Cedar Ridge - BEAUTIFUL sounds coming from them this year, that certainly didn't change with the director change.  Great arrangements too, loved the interweaving of "Forever Young" reemerging in different ways throughout.  Thought the ballad was especially nice.  Visual Performance seems a tad down this year, as did the design.  However, overall, I was impressed.  Definitely still on the bubble.  

Vandegrift - They sound fantastic, seemed really on today.  The huge moments in this show are fantastic.  "Uranus" opening.  End of that section.  "Jupiter" impact.  That HUGE "Mars" moment was particularly fantastic.  And the "Jupiter" reprise at the end with the shooting star in the drill was very nice.  Not sure about the moments between those yet.  Overall though, great job.  Definitely upper bubble.  

Cedar Park - Oi.  They sound GOOD.  And CLEAN.  This show was just being performed at an INCREDIBLY high level.  Completely thought out and executed.  That's about all I can say.  They just sound really dang good.  Show doesn't have a lot of depth, but that's perfectly okay when you sound and move like that.  

Ronald Reagan - Favorite of the day definitely.  Same as Cedar Park it's currently being maxed out at the right time.  That opening is just fantastic in every way, absolutely glorious.  Ballad moment is still stunning with the dance team.  And the new ending continues to make fantastic use of them.  Fantastic job.  

Westlake - I knew they'd really clean up later on.  Really quirky (in a good way) visual program, definitely represents the art the show was inspired by well.  Love the Mozart section, and Slalom was really fun, drumline was smokin!  An overall just enjoyable, energetic show.  I'd say they're definitely on the bubble too.  

I wonder if Ronald Reagan is going to the bag of tricks once too often with their new ending. Their ballad was a 'wow' moment the first time I saw it, but not necessarily because of the band. I wonder if the dancing encore helps them or hurts them. Thoughts?

This is actually a really good point. It does tie the ballad and ending together but it does seem like a bit much. I'm not discounting them at all, in fact I think I'm the scores it will only help them. But from an audiences perspective I think it's, a lot to take in

I wonder if Ronald Reagan is going to the bag of tricks once too often with their new ending.  Their ballad was a 'wow' moment the first time I saw it, but not necessarily because of the band.  I wonder if the dancing encore helps them or hurts them. Thoughts?

In what way could this hurt?!  I can't imagine how anyone would think (overthink) that ending.  The emotions I felt when they brought that girl back out in red and them surrounded her.... amazing.  Those emotional connections, bringing the show full circle, demonstrating the beauty of the performance... that's want this activity is supposed to be all about.  Count me among those that were jaw dropped to miss the band completely disappearing.  Incredible.

Vandegrift - They sound fantastic, seemed really on today.  The huge moments in this show are fantastic.  "Uranus" opening.  End of that section.  "Jupiter" impact.  That HUGE "Mars" moment was particularly fantastic.  And the "Jupiter" reprise at the end with the shooting star in the drill was very nice.  Not sure about the moments between those yet.  Overall though, great job.  Definitely upper bubble.  

I wouldn't put them on any bubble... as far as I'm concerned theyre in!  Huge sounds, beautiful guard.  Great show Vandegrift!

I've heard shows with A LOT more electronics than what Reagan had, I don't even remember hearing any sound effects/electronic stuff in their show off the top of my head.  Just a bunch of fantastic playing from them.  And concerning the dance team..........I think it's pretty dang clever and effective.  They certainly don't get in the way of the marching.  They only enhance it.  

New schedule is available at:

http://www.musicforall.org/what-we-do/boa-marching-championships/regionals/san-antonio-super-regional

Starts at 7:30am with Mansfield. Dripping Springs, Hendrickson, and Leander are all scheduled later in the day as Tentative Exhibition performances.

None of those three bands could make the trip early enough to perform in the first block. Notice that the rest of the blocks have 12 competing bands in them; that is 3 hours straight of performances. MFA is legally and morally obligated to provide a break for their judges and staff after 3 hours of continuous work, so it is not possible to fit more than 12 bands per block.

As such, there were only two further possible options, both of which were exhausted:

1) Add another break at 4:45 and have another block go from 5:15 through 6:15, and then push finals back over 1.5 hours later at a minimum or just not having Finals.

2) Get some other 2nd/3rd block scheduled band to perform during the 1st block. The problem here is that it is nearly impossible from a logistics standpoint for a band to call up kids and parents and buses (that aren't already gathered) late in the evening and coordinate getting them all together at 4-5am instead of their planned 10am-12pm. This is infinitely easier (though still not easy at all) for the bands that are already gathered .

Adding bands to the end of prelims was never going to happen past the two slots they added.

I'm very, very close to one of the three programs affected by this decision, and am still upset as an alumnus, but nothing is going to change at this point. BOA couldn't accommodate it, and I know directors, district administrators as well as executive MFA staff were on the phone until about 11 last night trying to make solutions. We can hypothesize and formulate and guess all we want to, but if they said their hands are tied, then they're tied. It sucks to see that happen to two upper bubble bands and a potential medalist, but life unfortunately isn't fair. 

But the most important thing is that Hendrickson will be able to give its seniors one last run in the Dome with a great exhibition spot, and Dripping Springs and Leander at least get practice in the dome before State, where they both have a chance to medal (and in Leander's case, win). We've gotta move on.

So Leander has been moved to 1:30 due to traffic issues in the lot. That gives a 15 minute break in between the last block and them. Highly doubt that means they will judge the performance though, because that would incredibly difficult and absurd.

Obvious sarcasm here

To me, it sounds more and more like you're someone related to the program. Whether you are or not, your consistent whining and bitterness is getting beyond annoying at this point. It's indeed a s***** situation but I know Mr. Selaiden and the Leander band are going to make the most of the hand they were dealt, which is the best deal that BOA could give them considering the circumstances. Quit adding fuel to the fire and let the kids make this exhibition memorable.