Whoa!

- McKinney went from 10th to top-5! (10th to 2nd???) :o

- McKinney North from 6th to top-5.

- Wylie 3rd to out

- Sherman 4th to out

Do you have recaps? Uiltexas site still hasn't updated.

Could one of the reasons for McKinney's jump be caused by their performance time? They were first to perform at 10 AM. Maybe the judges scored them too low to begin with??? Still interesting though!

The prelims marching judges were Keith Bearden (judge 4) and Bill Centera (judge 5). Area C seemed to suffer from poor number management from the beginning of the day to the end, as well as five very distinctive opinions on what successful marching band should look and sound like.

I did not get to see all the bands in finals, but the ones that I did see all had stronger performances than in prelims. Screwy judging aside, I think some very deserving, former state-finalist bands are being left at home this year. But, that just goes to show that Area C is growing in depth and is no longer a top-heavy, completely predictable contest.

The prelims marching judges were Keith Bearden (judge 4) and Bill Centera (judge 5). Area C seemed to suffer from poor number management from the beginning of the day to the end, as well as five very distinctive opinions on what successful marching band should look and sound like.

I did not get to see all the bands in finals, but the ones that I did see all had stronger performances than in prelims. Screwy judging aside, I think some very deserving, former state-finalist bands are being left at home this year. But, that just goes to show that Area C is growing in depth and is no longer a top-heavy, completely predictable contest.

Well you gotta remember, like you said each one has a different opinion on what's most important. Like Keith Bearden and Kathy Johnson have been directors for 25+ years so their preferences would obviously differ from the others. Mr. Taylor from Westlake has a different taste in shows than those 2 and probably the rest. Bill Centera (Newman Smith Ret.) and Daniel Galloway (Clements) I would guess have similar likes. I like the panel for the exact reason you stated, each has their own view so you're getting what I would say "better results" than if it wasn't totally diverse.

If you had a judging panel with directors that are all retired you'd probably get the cleaner shows advancing, if you got younger directors you'd probably have the more GE geared shows advancing. Have a mix and you'll get a mix in the results.

Unfortunately Wylie and Sherman didn't get to advance but McKinney and McKinney North are both great and up-and-coming programs that I'm sure could surprise some people on Tuesday. Really wish we would've had 30 bands make a 1 this year :/

I do agree that Area C, in the past didn't have the depth of some of the other areas. We have so many truly outstanding 6A bands in the DFW area.   It is good to see the entire level of performance in 5A bands being pushed to a new level.  The bands from Area C generally aren't the favorites to make finals and truly compete with the bands in Area D.  I think the bands advancing to state have a real chance of making finals.  I believe Waxahachie and Poteet have made finals before.  Wouldn't it be great if two bands from Area D made finals again.

I do agree that Area C, in the past didn't have the depth of some of the other areas. We have so many truly outstanding 6A bands in the DFW area.   It is good to see the entire level of performance in 5A bands being pushed to a new level.  The bands from Area C generally aren't the favorites to make finals and truly compete with the bands in Area D.  I think the bands advancing to state have a real chance of making finals.  I believe Waxahachie and Poteet have made finals before.  Wouldn't it be great if two bands from Area D made finals again.

Poteet has won 3x before! But that program, while still very good, isn't what it used to be. Waxahachie is indeed a 3x consecutive state finalist, and they have a great shot at making it again. Forney is also a former state finalist. McKinney is really, really strong this year. I was stunned they were so low in prelims, but I wasn't at the contest. They could do very well in San Antonio.