2016 Nationals

So who from Texas is going next year besides Leander? I know there's a lot of discussion right now and I'm kind of jumping the gun but I just wanted to know. I don't even mean just Texas bands but what are the frequencies of prominent other bands... Tarpon absent this year so are they every other and back next year? Broken Arrow every year? Any big names from other parts of the country that can't go regular that would have an impact on finals? I also realize some programs haven't made the call on 2016 yet. I heard Vista Ridge has already made the decision as well? Is this accurate?

So who from Texas is going next year besides Leander? I know there's a lot of discussion right now and I'm kind of jumping the gun but I just wanted to know. I don't even mean just Texas bands but what are the frequencies of prominent other bands... Tarpon absent this year so are they every other and back next year? Broken Arrow every year? Any big names from other parts of the country that can't go regular that would have an impact on finals? I also realize some programs haven't made the call on 2016 yet. I heard Vista Ridge has already made the decision as well? Is this accurate?

I can most likely rule out three bands - the Lewisville ISD schools - Hebron, Marcus and Flower Mound. Hebron is going this year, of course. I would expect to see Marcus attend again in 2017, and then Flower Mound in 2018. I believe they're on some kind of four-year rotation now.  

I would suspect that there will be less 6A groups attending nationals because of UIL state, but I've seen it happen. (Ronald Reagan and Bowie 2012).

Attending-

Leander

Possibly attending-

Cedar Park

Ronald Reagan

Claudia Taylor Johnson

James Bowie

Not sure of any other groups rumored to be thinking about it. Interesting topic, even if it is still 2015 and more than a year away.

Any band planning on attending in 2016 is basically beginning their planning stages right around now.  I can't imagine Scott Morrison beginning to coordinate such a massive undertaking for Reagan in his first year at the helm (and also with 2016 being a state year).  2017 is certainly in the cards though, especially with their recent explosive success and the fact they went in 2007 & 2012.

Like Brandon said, at this point I'd bet nothing is set in stone with anyone.  In the spring Cedar Ridge and Bell were both on the Nationals list, now they're not.  Things change, happen, ect.  

Just be careful what you share, in some cases certain people might not be ready/committed enough to want it public that they're planning on attending or trying to as of yet.  I bet that's a MASSIVE undertaking, especially if it's the first time a school/director is going.  Logistically, it blows my mind how bands like Flower Mound that are pretty large, had tons of props, front ensemble, guard equipment, 200+ kids, ect are able to make it go smoothly.  A big undertaking no doubt and it probably takes a LOT of time.  

Anyways, didn't someone say last year that Marcus, Hebron, and FloMo were on a cycle now?  I guess maybe that's not every year.  We've seen some schools do it on a state year, Bowie/Reagan in 2012, Marcus last year, Bell when they went every year, ect.  So while it's probably less likely, wouldn't surprise me to see a 6A or to go.  

Hope the rumors are true about Leander, I feel like they've hid a stride in performance AND design, and could be extremely dangerous in an extended season.   What they do is perfect for Nationals.  I'd love to see Cedar Park go back, they had a nice showing in I think 2010, and I think they're stronger now and could compete well.  Then Vandegrift, they'd do well too.  

Leander is for sure going. No rumor. They have an entire page dedicated to it on their web page and they made the call several months back already. They seem to be really on top of the planning stages and have done this to have a long period of time to raise funds, etc. If next year is on par with Color Study and Choral Works they will be top half of finals caliber and pose a threat to medal and maybe even a dark horse to win the Eagle if it all comes together with the right show next year. I use last year as a gauge, they would've been top 5 at worst, 3rd at best I think. Would've been tough to touch Tarpon Springs and Broken Arrow at 1-2 but noting scoring gap between BA and Avon I'm not so sure they (or CTJ or Bowie last year for that matter) couldn't have gotten 3rd.

Leander is for sure going. No rumor. They have an entire page dedicated to it on their web page and they made the call several months back already. They seem to be really on top of the planning stages and have done this to have a long period of time to raise funds, etc. If next year is on par with Color Study and Choral Works they will be top half of finals caliber and pose a threat to medal and maybe even a dark horse to win the Eagle if it all comes together with the right show next year. I use last year as a gauge, they would've been top 5 at worst, 3rd at best I think. Would've been tough to touch Tarpon Springs and Broken Arrow at 1-2 but noting scoring gap between BA and Avon I'm not so sure they (or CTJ or Bowie last year for that matter) couldn't have gotten 3rd.

SWEET.  I hadn't seen that before.  If they've had it in the works for awhile, this could be fun.  

Like Brandon said, at this point I'd bet nothing is set in stone with anyone.  In the spring Cedar Ridge and Bell were both on the Nationals list, now they're not.  Things change, happen, ect.  

Just be careful what you share, in some cases certain people might not be ready/committed enough to want it public that they're planning on attending or trying to as of yet.  I bet that's a MASSIVE undertaking, especially if it's the first time a school/director is going.  Logistically, it blows my mind how bands like Flower Mound that are pretty large, had tons of props, front ensemble, guard equipment, 200+ kids, ect are able to make it go smoothly.  A big undertaking no doubt and it probably takes a LOT of time.  

Anyways, didn't someone say last year that Marcus, Hebron, and FloMo were on a cycle now?  I guess maybe that's not every year.  We've seen some schools do it on a state year, Bowie/Reagan in 2012, Marcus last year, Bell when they went every year, ect.  So while it's probably less likely, wouldn't surprise me to see a 6A or to go.  

Hope the rumors are true about Leander, I feel like they've hid a stride in performance AND design, and could be extremely dangerous in an extended season.   What they do is perfect for Nationals.  I'd love to see Cedar Park go back, they had a nice showing in I think 2010, and I think they're stronger now and could compete well.  Then Vandegrift, they'd do well too.  

Marcus went two years ago, and the FloMo directors tagged along to learn the logistics.  A lot of it is handled by a tour company, from hotels and buses, to storage and practice space at the convention center.

The tough part is making sure you have the adults to help out with chaperoning, pit crew, and equipment transportation.

As far as a cycle is concerned, there is nothing set at this time.  At best it will be every 4 years so every class has a chance to go.  But the director has been known to mention every 5 years is closer to what he'd like.  He definitely doesn't want to do like TWHS, and put that kind of financial burden on families by going every other year.

• 1 month later...

So according to what I've seen, the list of Texas Bands has increased.

Attending 2016 Grand Nationals -

Leander

Cedar Park

James Bowie

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Ronald Reagan

Winston Churchill

Wakeland

Wow, next year seems to be stacked with a lot of non-regulars from Texas. It'll be really exciting to see what they bring to Grand Nats next season, along with State (for 6A). I think it's pretty awesome that almost all of these bands are from the old Area D, an area often said to be one of, if not the most stacked region in the country. 

This is of course assuming all of these bands DO go. Like last year, we can't really expect to see everyone who's going until the end of summer, but as of now it looks insane.

The only two confirmed announcements/post I can find are for:

Leander - http://leanderband.org/grand-nationals-2016/

James Bowie - https://www.facebook.com/BowieHSBand/

2016 Nationals is on Cedar Park's calendar as well as many meetings for it so it appears they are going to make a showing too.

https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/calendar.asp?cb=2771028

Haven't heard anything about Northeast ISD schools yet be we at least have Cedar Park, James Bowie, and Leander attending Grand Nationals next year.

• 8 months later...