Westlake Marching Festival 2015

The schedule was just released. This contest is just about a week away. The competition doesn't seem as tight this year. Here are the schools in performance order:

Westlake Marching Festival

October 10th, 2015

LBJ HS - 1:00 PM

Medina Valley HS - 1:15 PM

Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders - 1:30 PM

Crockett HS - 1:45 PM

Dripping Springs HS - 2:00 PM

5A Awards Ceremony - 2:15 PM

Akins HS - 2:45 PM

New Braunfels HS - 3:00 PM

Lehman HS - 3:15 PM

Hays HS - 3:30 PM

Del Valle HS - 3:45 PM

BREAK

Judson HS - 4:15 PM

Tom C. Clark HS - 4:30 PM

Rouse HS - 4:45 PM

Sandra Day O'Connor HS - 5:00 PM

Hendrickson HS - 5:15 PM

6A Awards Ceremony - 5:30 PM

Westlake HS Band (Exhibition) - 7:00 PM

FINALS

Bands 10-6: 7:15 - 8:15 PM

BREAK

Bands 5-1: 8:45-9:45 PM

FINAL AWARDS CEREMONY: 10:10 PM

There doesn't seem to be as many bands going this year. I don't know much about some of them, but I think the six definite locks for finals will belong to Hendrickson, Dripping Springs, New Braunfels, Judson, Sandra Day O'Connor, and Rouse.

Anyone know if there was a specific reason for Bowie not to go? I was told last year that they weren't going because of the London trip.

Kinda disappointed at the number of bands and lack of really big names like RR or Bowie. The WMF website claims that anywhere from "18 to 50" bands have attended in its history. Hope we're not breaking records!

Anyone know if there was a specific reason for Bowie not to go? I was told last year that they weren't going because of the London trip.

Kinda disappointed at the number of bands and lack of really big names like RR or Bowie. The WMF website claims that anywhere from "18 to 50" bands have attended in its history. Hope we're not breaking records!

I believe Bowie is going to Texas Marching Classic. These two contests are held on the same day. RR is going to Arlington.

Even if the number of bands is at 15 for this year, hopefully a similar situation like what has happened to the Vista Ridge Marching Festival will occur for a couple of years, where a bunch of lower-profile (and sometimes from-out-of-town) bands register for the contest.

Even if the number of bands is at 15 for this year, hopefully a similar situation like what has happened to the Vista Ridge Marching Festival will occur for a couple of years, where a bunch of lower-profile (and sometimes from-out-of-town) bands register for the contest.

That would be awesome! Maybe the premiere marching festival for Central Texas (~30 years ago) can become a big small band contest.

I believe Bowie is going to Texas Marching Classic. These two contests are held on the same day. RR is going to Arlington.

I think it's kinda messed up for Cedar Ridge to schedule their contest on the same day as Westlake, which has been on the second Saturday of October

for 40 or so years. Even going so for as to call their contest "The premier Central Texas Band Competition," when the Westlake Contest has been around so long and was the only contest in the area apart from UIL for Decades and this other contest is in it's fourth year. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Why isn't it being held a week later?

Does anyone know what the theme is for Judson's and New Braunfels' shows? Since I'm predicting that one of them is likely to get the third spot, I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about their shows this year. You don't usually hear from these two programs that often, and since one of them is likely to place high, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on them.

I think the reason that TMC is picking up more traction is because their venue is often used for major competitions, which gets bands acclimated to the stadium. The other factor is that their sheets and scoring system better reflects BOA, which benefits bands that participate in that venue often. Apparently, that combination is working and taking market share from Westlake.

Does anyone know what the theme is for Judson's and New Braunfels' shows? Since I'm predicting that one of them is likely to get the third spot, I just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything about their shows this year. You don't usually hear from these two programs that often, and since one of them is likely to place high, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on them.[/quote

Speaking of New Braunfels, wasn't there a guy arrested recently for shooting pellets at the band members

I think it's kinda messed up for Cedar Ridge to schedule their contest on the same day as Westlake, which has been on the second Saturday of October

for 40 or so years. Even going so for as to call their contest "The premier Central Texas Band Competition," when the Westlake Contest has been around so long and was the only contest in the area apart from UIL for Decades and this other contest is in it's fourth year. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Why isn't it being held a week later?

there is always going to be two contests on the same weekend? what's the big deal?

Oustanding Percussion Dripping Springs HS

Outstanding Auxiliary Dripping Springs HS

Oustanding Marching Dripping Springs HS

Outstanding Music Dripping Springs HS

Overall Results in Class 5A

3rd place Medina Valley HS 71.80

2nd place LBJ HS 73.05

1st place Dripping Springs HS 89.80

Caption Awards in Class 6A

Oustanding Percussion Hendrickson HS

Outstanding Auxiliary Hendrickson HS

Oustanding Marching Hendrickson HS

Outstanding Music Hendrickson HS

Overall Results in Class 6A

3rd place Judson HS 85.60

2nd place Rouse HS 88.70

1st place Hendrickson HS 94.50

Finals Results

10th place Clark HS 76.35

9th place Akins HS 79.55

8th place LBJ HS 79.75

7th place Sandra Day O'Connor HS 81.60

6th place Hays HS 84.05

5th place New Braunfels HS 87.00

4th place Rouse HS 87.95

3rd place Judson HS 89.95

2nd place Dripping Springs HS 93.25

1st place Hendrickson HS 95.15

I watched ya'lls exhibition at the competition on saturday, just wanted to say that I love your show, and it's definitley got a different vibe than westlake has done in the past. Those props are insane btw, like really insane. I think it really ties in this abstract art theme that you're going for (right?). The only criticism that I have to give is that it feels very quiet throughout the show...Not sure if it's meant to be like that, but heard some parts that could have been more powerful. An example would be just after the guard mirrored props come in, it just felt so mellow, when it could have been sooo fierce! Just in simple terms, I just wish there would be some louder, bigger hits. Something to blow me out of the water. I've definitley heard ya'll gunning that sound before in previous shows, and I definitley found myself hoping for a big hit during the exhibition...that and some individual marching things I saw, but other than that, I think you all have a decent shot at BOA this year!! Ya'll always surprise everyone at the end with how much you clean up later on! I can't wait to see you guys later this month! Good job! 

I watched ya'lls exhibition at the competition on saturday, just wanted to say that I love your show, and it's definitley got a different vibe than westlake has done in the past. Those props are insane btw, like really insane. I think it really ties in this abstract art theme that you're going for (right?). The only criticism that I have to give is that it feels very quiet throughout the show...Not sure if it's meant to be like that, but heard some parts that could have been more powerful. An example would be just after the guard mirrored props come in, it just felt so mellow, when it could have been sooo fierce! Just in simple terms, I just wish there would be some louder, bigger hits. Something to blow me out of the water. I've definitley heard ya'll gunning that sound before in previous shows, and I definitley found myself hoping for a big hit during the exhibition...that and some individual marching things I saw, but other than that, I think you all have a decent shot at BOA this year!! Ya'll always surprise everyone at the end with how much you clean up later on! I can't wait to see you guys later this month! Good job! 

Thanks! It's a very different band, with a new drillwriter and 3 new directors.You're right about the props! We've got a great group of people that help with them, which kind of help tie in to the vague theme. Hopefully we can build up that sound, because that's something we've always been proud of, and it seems to be suffering thing year what with us losing music to Westwood at Vista Ridge. We're hoping to add a lot of visuals in the next few weeks, so the show should get a lot more interesting.