Duncanville Marching Invitational 2015

I just wanted to start off a page for this contest. It's a long way away, but looks like it's going to be an interesting one. Thoughts? Predictions? Here's the participating bands:

Allen HS

Byron Nelson HS

Dawson HS

Fossil Ridge HS

Hebron HS

Jack C Hays HS

James Martin HS

Keller HS

Klein Oak HS

Krum HS

L.V. Berkner HS

Langham Creek HS

MacArthur HS

Marcus HS

McKinney Boyd HS

New Braunfels HS

Plano Senior HS

Plano West HS

Richardson HS

Rockwall HS

Rowlett HS

Sandra Day O'Connor HS

Southlake Carroll HS

Timber Creek HS

Trinity HS

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how Marcus and Hebron look this year? I'm trying to think of which bands could make up finals. I've heard some good thing about some of these programs and wanted to see what anyone else thought of them.

Based on the BOA regional, I would say that Hebron is in the lead, but honestly both programs (Hebron and Marcus) are incredibly talented and anything can happen.

I would keep an eye on New Braunfels and Sandra Day O'Connor. From what I've heard, both bands had extremely good showings at the Westlake Marching Festival yesterday and I think they both could be contenders for finalist spots.

I saw both of these groups oh my they are a lot better than I would expect. I definitely have both of them in my finals predictions

A couple things...first please notice that Plano Senior is scheduled to be in this contest.  I've always said that if the Plano schools ever reengage in marching band that they could be a force. They have a ton of state musicians every year.

Also, this contest is usually a very telling barometer for the big year-end contests. I know that I'll be making a trip south for this one.

I'd normally think that this competition is a "barometer" like you said, especially in the past when Marcus was dominant. But in 2013 Marcus beat Hebron taking most of the captions except music I believe (I'm 60% sure what the caption was). But a week later, Marcus basically got creamed by Hebron and The woodlands. Maybe that was just an odd year, but the fact that that happened is making me really anxious about the next three weeks.

Here's the performance schedule:

Band Perform MacArthur HS 10:00:00 AM Krum HS 10:15:00 AM Rockwall HS 10:30:00 AM Plan West HS 10:45:00 AM Richardson HS 11:00:00 AM BREAK   Southlake Carroll HS 11:45:00 AM Timber Creek HS 12:00:00 PM Byron Nelson HS 12:15:00 PM Rowlett HS 12:30:00 PM LUNCH   Trinity HS 01:45:00 PM L.V. Berkner HS 02:00:00 PM Plan Senior HS 02:15:00 PM McKinney Boyd HS 02:30:00 PM Jack C. Hays HS 02:45:00 PM BREAK   Fossil Ridge HS 03:15:00 PM New Braunfels HS 03:30:00 PM Keller HS 03:45:00 PM Sandra Day O'Connor HS 04:00:00 PM Hebron HS 04:15:00 PM BREAK   Marcus HS 04:45:00 PM James Martin HS 05:00:00 PM Klein Oak HS 05:15:00 PM Langham Creek HS 05:30:00 PM Allen HS 05:45:00 PM DUNCANVILLE HS EXHIBITION 06:00:00 PM PRELIM AWARDS / DINNER 06:15:00 PM     FINALS   FINALS 10 07:30:00 PM FINALS 9 07:45:00 PM FINALS 8 08:00:00 PM FINALS 7 08:15:00 PM FINALS 6 08:30:00 PM BREAK   FINALS 5 09:00:00 PM FINALS 4 09:15:00 PM FINALS 3 09:30:00 PM FINALS 2 09:45:00 PM FINALS 1 10:00:00 PM TCU HONORED FROG BAND EXHIBITION 10:15:00 PM FINALS AWARDS 10:30:00 PM

Enjoy

A couple things...first please notice that Plano Senior is scheduled to be in this contest.  I've always said that if the Plano schools ever reengage in marching band that they could be a force. They have a ton of state musicians every year.

Also, this contest is usually a very telling barometer for the big year-end contests. I know that I'll be making a trip south for this one.

While I agree on Plano Senior's potential, I've seen some videos of their performances this year and they have a bit of a ways to improve before they can make finals at a competition like this. Their shows are getting better, but it takes a lot even to make finals at a competition like Duncanville. If they somehow make it though, I'll be one incredibly happy alum.

I would keep an eye on New Braunfels and Sandra Day O'Connor. From what I've heard, both bands had extremely good showings at the Westlake Marching Festival yesterday and I think they both could be contenders for finalist spots.

I saw both of these groups oh my they are a lot better than I would expect. I definitely have both of them in my finals predictions

I agree. Both bands were very good but Buda Hays beat O'Connor in Prelims and Finals at Westlake this past weekend. And I believe they were just below New Braunfels in the placements. It will be interesting to see if they are a competitor this year as well. 

I just saw Plano Senior put on an awesome show at UIL (my daughter is in the band), but coming from the Plano East band (my son went there), I know there show isn't as

competition ready as many of the bands.  However, with the new band director, it is a little obvious that maybe they might start to get into the marching competitions since they are

actually attending Duncanville this year.  Maybe by the time my youngest son goes there they will be in the thick of marching band competitions (4 years) too. 

I will probably be heading to Duncanville to check it all out next week.  Last time was to watch the Plano East band who made the finals but it was rained out.

All these bands are just remarkable!   I am looking forward to the Marcus and Hebron shows, haven't seen them yet this year!

In response to the question.... "Anyone know how Marcus and Hebron look this year?"

At the BOA in Arlington on Oct 3rd....  

The finals results were

1. Flower Mound (their 1st ever BOA championship)

2. Hebron

3. Marcus

So I would say Marcus & Hebron are again looking very good this year.

Best of luck to all the banks in the Duncanville Invitational this coming Saturday.....

Notably absent is Flower Mound. They participated two years ago during an off-state year but they're not taking part this time.

It seems Flower Mound likes to rotate through the local competitions rather than hitting the same ones every year.

2011 - Birdville

2012 - Tournament Of Champions (Carrollton)

2013 - Duncanville

2014 - No local comp presumably due to Grand Nats trip

2015 - Birdville

http://www.worldofpageantry.com/scores/index.php

Jeepers, I think we all need to do a "rain, rain, go away" dance....  Every day I look at the forecast & it gets worse.... not looking good for Saturday....

As for non weather predictions, I find that difficult as there are so many bands I have not seen this year.....

But, from what I have seen, I would say Hebron, Marcus, & Keller will all finish in the top 5.

Good luck to all the participating bands

Of the band I saw last weekend at UIL, the order I would put the bands in from Region 25 6A would be:

Plano East (but they aren't attending)

McKinney Boyd

Plano Senior

Allen

Plano West

Allen is very impressive just because of their size and sound, but I thought it was messy. But sometimes just being as big as they are

and how they sound may move them up.

Plano Senior has a good show but not as flashy as others.  But they sound good.   I am also happy to report
that they moved back the time for them which means the many kids which weren't going to make it because of the ACT

are now going to be there.    The issue with having a new band director that decided to attend only to figure out

many kids were scheduled for the ACT that day, LOL.

McKinney Boyd has a nice show...   I could see them making finals if they march well.

I agree. Both bands were very good but Buda Hays beat O'Connor in Prelims and Finals at Westlake this past weekend. And I believe they were just below New Braunfels in the placements. It will be interesting to see if they are a competitor this year as well. 

Hays making finals at DMI is more or less implied due to their reputation at other contests (Namely Area D Finals & the 5A SMBC).  The reason they mentioned New Braunfels and O'Connor is that they're lesser known bands from the San Antonio area (New Braunfels specifically) who are actually quite good that aren't typically matched up against the Dallas/Austin bands that compete in DMI.