UIL Texas 5A State Marching Contest predictions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

McCallum, LBJ, Dripping Springs and Connally always push the Leander Schools in Area D. I think Cedar Park wins State this year, their concept is well done and their show looks clean. They are by far my favorite. Here's who I think makes area D finals:

- Cedar Park

- Leander

- Vandegrift

- Vista Ridge

- Connally

- Dripping Springs

- LBJ

- McCallum

- Georgetown

- East View (or Seguin)

• 2 weeks later...

Out of all the bands I've seen this year, I think Vista Ridge takes it.  Their production has more marching than the others.  Their marching routine is more complex and the music is difficult.  They don't come out and try to blast you out of the stands with "melt your face big notes".  They play balanced with very well defined dynamics.   They don't have any "ensembles" come up and play the "hard stuff" while the rest of the band dances around.  I think all 4 of the LISD bands are lights out on music production.  While Vista's "visuals" do not come close to the other LISD bands, I think they win it with their marching and playing (since this is UIL and not BOA).  LISD will sweep with Vista, Cedar Park, and Leander being very close.

Vista Ridge

Cedar Park

Leander

Vandegrift

Dripping Springs

Connally

....   Uh....  anyone's guess!

ok, yeah. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. Your top 4 are going to be 

Cedar Park

Leander

Vandegrift 

Wakeland

In my opinion there is just no contest outside of this group. Say what you want about the TMC results. I don't think in reality Vista Ridge and Vandegrift are that close, and I don't think Leander is that far a head of Cedar Park and Vandegrift.

Cedar Park: My favorite to win it all. This is honestly probably going to be the best show and execution they have ever fielded. Some aspects of it are a little weird to me (arrangement wise, how some of the pieces are thrown together). But Cedar Park is a band very similar to Hebron, IMO. They sound IMMACULATE, but they have lots and lots of under the surface individual performance issues from attempting insanely technical music (my opinion as to why they didn't win the title last cycle). Right now they are struggling because their show just books it the whole way through and its combined with insane musical technique all across the board. I find myself laughing out of pure amazement. If the night goes right, they could run away with another gold on their hands. heck, I'd even say they could be a contender to medal at BOA if everything locks in as its supposed to on the right night. But maybe I'm just fanboying.

Leander:  Not as big of a fan as I was Color Study, but once again they have the right mix of everything. This show is obviously going to kill it at BOA, but music wise I think at UIL they are going to struggle to compete with Vandegrift, CP and Wakeland. They sound quite good, but lack that refined and orchestral sound that the aforementioned bands have. As we all know UIL judges ooze over that style. I think they are a safe bet to medal, with their visual looking strong.  Again, "any given night."

Vandegrift: 2013 was a gorgeous show that was a fresh spin on a classic show... which is why I'm scratching my head a little about their show this year. They are going for a more intense, edgy, angry sound that is super controlled and rip roaring. It's insanely good in its own right, but a huge contrast to the past two years. Right now, their strength is in music. They sweeped music at UIL state finals two years ago. Their lush, centered, yet electrifying sound was preferred over the insanely technical CP. Once again, they are incredibly strong in music. (I'm a tad bit surprised they aren't doing as well in contests this year, its their best designed show yet.. but thats a conversation for another time). As usual, they also have some pretty dang good marching technique and are looking clean. If they max out their music and visual, they are going to be another medal contender... again, "Any given night"

Wakeland: can't say I've seen this show as many times as I have the LISD shows (I live in the Austin area). But the videos I've seen are incredbile, and I think the word of mouth speaks for itself

and finally..once again.. "any given night." It's going to come down to one performance.

Should get a better idea with Area contests happening soon 

While BOA and UIL are different I don't see any reason that those differences would move vandegrift above cp or leander. They had a refined orchestral sound in 2013 but this is 2015 and currently after seeing all three live at tmc, none of them do. They all have a very big BOA impact sound, all three have quieter refined moments but none shy away from the in your face DCI sounds (which is in no way a bad thing). However if we are comparing that, Leander takes the cake by a mile and that's why in finals of both BOA Austin and TMC they were only .2 and .05 behind Cedar Park in music respectively. They aren't behind in music in the slightest, but they are consistently ahead in visual, and that's why I think they take state.

I know area D has a fantastic band program but I still wonder why this site never has anything good to say about Forney. They have been to state finals since 2009 and made finals once. This year they have been grand champions at every contest they have participated in (Parade of Champions in Mansfield, Mesquite Marching festival, and the Desoto classic) Sherman, Wylie, Poteet and some great 6A bands where in the competition and Forney beat them. I am unsure why this forum seems to always leave them out of the conversations. Dazed and confused.

I think part of it is the fact that the Area D bands (and the other shows that are talked about a lot) all have high quality videos available on a regular basis.  I personally don't do a lot of speculation and talk about what I have actually seen.  If you have anything on Forney, I'd love to see it.  They've been competing well, but other than that, not much to go off of.  Wish them the best in the rest of the season.  I don't think there's any ill will/lack of interest or anything like that.  Just a lot less to go off of.  

I think in the context of 5A, it's also that LISD is just *so* dominant right now. To the point where they would all be in medal contention in 6A, had they not all fallen down a few years ago. But I think people are open to other bands' ability to challenge them - that's why Wakeland is getting a lot of attention in this conversation too. And to LKendrick's point, Wakeland also has very high quality videos every week which makes it easy to judge their progress.

Another aspect is how well you compete with the big boys in 6A. Leander, Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge, and Wakeland (to a smaller extent) all do this regularly and pretty much weekly whereas a lot of other 5As, especially in Dallas with tons of local competitions, play against other 5A and lower bands more often than the Marcuses, Hebrons, Bowies and CTJs. Because we see them (the aforementioned 5) compete with and even best the top 6As regularly, it's easy and not really incorrect to assume that they are all at the top of the 5A conversation.

While I agree, the LISD bands all have great shows, I think it is too early to count out Frisco Wakeland and Waxahachie.  I saw them both at BOA Arlington.  They both have amazing shows.  I can't believe how fast Waxahachie plays and marches their show.  They are beautiful on the field.  Also, Frisco Wakeland blew me away!  Their show is just visually stunning.

Wakeland advanced to finals and Waxahachie was 12th against the Marcus/Hebron/Flowermound group.  However, I heard that penalties were assessed for leaving the field to slowly and then the directors unhappiness over that penalty.  I don't know if that affected their placement.  I hope I can go to the 5A state finals this year.  It is going to be wonderful to watch!

I think Lone Star high school has a wonderful chance in the competition. It's really the first big show they've done and they are OWNING it. It's interesting to see the "little guy" of the Frisco district take on such an intricate show and execute it to such a great extent! Area B will be a fun contest.

I think you should not count out Frisco Centennial. They had bad luck with finals being rained out 2 years ago and being very first for prelims but 4 years ago, they go 3rd at state and recently got 4th at Newman Smith's TOC only behind Hebron, PESH, and Coppell. Something to look into!

it'll be very interesting to see how the bands that were rained out in '13 do this year. I know my school had a top 5 spot with only one band left in finals and lost it due to rain. We're out for blood this time! fingers crossed.

Weather doesn't look great for most of Texas this weekend...which is a real bummer because these are competitions that desperately need prelims/finals to get the right bands through to state. Not optimistic we'll see too many finals with the current forecast. 

yep! Two years ago our finals were rained out and it caused my band to miss state by a place! Hopefully the rain will hold off until Sunday.