How many 6A high school bands are there in Texas?

244.  The 6A number has always been very close to the number of 5A schools, which is why I was pretty sure your number wasn't right.  I was about to ask where you got this number, but after painstakingly counting each and every school in your link, I realized that you had done the exact same thing to find your own total, except you skipped the 200s somewhere in the middle of counting which is why your number was exactly 100 off.

I couldn't tell you the number of 6A schools that don't have bands (in fact, I couldn't even name 1), but I estimate it's a number in the single digits.  Most of these would be inner city 6A schools who have *temporarily* axed their program due to either inability to find a qualified teacher or lack of student interest to justify the program.  In situations like these the admin usually stores away the equipment and temporarily repurposes the band room for another class...at least until the following school year.  Also, I do know there are several inner city schools that march "Show Style" (Can't remember the official name for this style, but think "Drumline" the movie).  I would estimate there are at least a dozen 6A schools statewide that do this, primarily in the inner city districts...some do UIL (and often don't do very well) and some choose not to because they figure the system doesn't favor their style of marching.  They're probably right.

But to correct your numbers, 15.17% of 6A schools advanced to the SMBC this school year, and 4.09% of all 6A bands in the state made State Finals.

244.  The 6A number has always been very close to the number of 5A schools, which is why I was pretty sure your number wasn't right.  I was about to ask where you got this number, but after painstakingly counting each and every school in your link, I realized that you had done the exact same thing to find your own total, except you skipped the 200s somewhere in the middle of counting which is why your number was exactly 100 off.

That was supposed to be a 2, that was just a typo on my part, adjusted the percentages accordingly.  Around 15% for prelims and 4% of schools for finals out of the total amount of schools.