I'm sure that this has been posted somewhere, but would someone please remind me why Plano and Plano West do not perform at Area? They are two of the 5 biggest high schools in Texas so participation can't be an issue. PESH has done well historically and has put some very nice, competitive shows on the field.

I'm a Plano alum so I can only speak for them and not necessarily Plano West (though the reasons are probably pretty similar). Plano used to go to area and made it to area finals in 2008. For personal reasons (and I believe this sentiment was well received with the students) the directors decided to quit going to competitions aside from the Mesquite Marching Festival (used for judges commentary I believe) and UIL. As a result, rehearsals were also shortened from 8 hours a week to just 5, and only 2 Saturdays were lost the entire marching season. The reasoning behind the decision was that the directors thought that marching band should be more about having fun than worrying about competitions (I think a lot of students were overly disappointed to miss state in 2008). 

I'm competitive as heck, so I was always jealous watching Hebron and Marcus whenever we played them in football games, but I do think the majority of students preferred the 5 hours a week to the 8 (shocker, right?). It did create a much more relaxed environment, and since the Plano schools tend to be some of the most academically rigorous in the Dallas area (granted, the Lewisville ISD schools are as well) many students had a lot of other priorities elsewhere and the directors wanted to help with the balance between school and band.

The end result was learning a "fun" show that only required 5 hours of rehearsal time a week, and after UIL was over, we would learn a second "fun" show for the rest of the football season. Just a different way of doing things.

That being said, the Plano schools each average about 7-10 students advancing to all-state each year in a very competitive region and area. I would LOVE to see what each would be capable of if they were to go the BOA direction and compete again, but as long as the students and directors are happy with the way things are done now, I don't foresee a change coming for a long long time. 

My son graduated from PESH, so we did all of the marching competitions.   My daughter is currently at PSHS, and although so many of us wanted them
to go to the Area contest,  she said they, like knoxisawesome said, they want it to remain fun.   Although, they still rehearsed 8 hours a week, so not sure
if the 5 hours is still followed or not :).    But PSHS show was so fun this year.  Maybe not competition ready, but definitely a crowd pleaser!

Plano West is marching at All Area this year.   Here are the bands going to Area B.  Since there are only 22 bands, it will mean just 4 spots.  How to pick out of these schools is
definitely a challenge! 

1. Lewisville HS  - 9:15

2. Richland HS - 9:30

3. Mansfield HS - 9:45

4. Bowie HS - 10:00

5. Plano West - 10:15

BREAK

6. Southlake Carroll -  10:45

7. Plano East - 11:00

8. Paschal HS - 11:14

9. Martin HS - 11:30

10. Colleyville Heritage - 11:45

BREAK

11.Trinity - 1:00

12. Haltom - 1:15

13. Sam Houston - 1:30

14. LD Bell - 1:45

15. Weatherford - 2:00

16. Allen - 2:15

BREAK

17. Marcus - 2:45

18. Arlington - 3:00

19. Flower Mound - 3:15

20. Hebron - 3:30

21. North Crowley - 3:45

22. McKinney Boyd - 4:00

Finals announced at 4:45 pm

Finals start at 7:00 pm

There is a schedule, but I can't figure out how to paste it in here, or attach it.   I just found it at

www.uilforms.com/regions/24/ 

Enter into the section that says "Area B Marching", and then go into the 6A Area B section and you can download the official schedule. 

My son is coming home from college just to attend so he can watch Plano East play so I did some searching to find it!  

Lewisville starts at 9:15  and they go everything 15 minutes from there.   A 15 minute break after Plano West, so  Southlake Carroll starts back at 10:45. 

The Lunch break starts at Noon and Trinity will be the first band starting at 1:00.  There is another 15 break between Allen and Marcus. 

Finals start at 7:00 pm. 

My son graduated from PESH, so we did all of the marching competitions.   My daughter is currently at PSHS, and although so many of us wanted them

to go to the Area contest,  she said they, like knoxisawesome said, they want it to remain fun.   Although, they still rehearsed 8 hours a week, so not sure

if the 5 hours is still followed or not :).    But PSHS show was so fun this year.  Maybe not competition ready, but definitely a crowd pleaser!

Plano West is marching at All Area this year.   Here are the bands going to Area B.  Since there are only 22 bands, it will mean just 4 spots.  How to pick out of these schools is

definitely a challenge! 

Just curious, do they still have Wednesdays off from rehearsals?

And I'll take a stab at the rankings:

1. Hebron

2. Marcus

3. Flower Mound

4. LD Bell

---------------------

5. Plano East*

6. Richland*

7. Mansfield

8. Martin

9. Haltom

10. McKinney Boyd

* = good chance at taking a state spot

1. Hebron

2. Marcus

3. Flower Mound

4. LD Bell

---------------------

5. Plano East*

6. Richland*

7. Mansfield

8. Martin

9. Haltom

10. McKinney Boyd

Seems Bowie is missing here... Then again - there are multiple bowies so I'm now all kinds of confused :(

Knoxisawesome -

Regarding Wednesday rehearsals.  They originally planned to have some off, but ended up having quite a few of them.  They had a pretty long show this year especially with the Preshow, so I think they had to have them in order to finish it.   The finished with just 15 seconds left in their allotted time
at the UIL Region competition, kind of added to the drama of the show!  If you haven't seen PSHS show this year, just google it search on PSHS band, Batman.  There is a UIL one out there somewhere.

It's to bad Area B can't send 5 to state this year.  It's going to be a tough cut.

1. Hebron

2. Marcus

3. Flower Mound

4. LD Bell

---------------------

5. Plano East*

6. Richland*

7. Mansfield

8. Martin

9. Haltom

10. McKinney Boyd

Dude you forgot Bowie... Bowie is gonna beat Flower Mound no question

Most recent shows that can be found on Youtube of the competing bands:

Lewisville: 

Mansfield: 

Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g0XsqH_vuiY

Plano East: 

Paschal: 

Martin: 

Colleyville: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojeKpVM2A20

Trinity: 

Haltom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBvNJp8Cxk

Weatherford: 

Allen: 

Marcus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2p26W96ps

Flower Mound: 

(a Colorado school)

Hebron: 

North Crowley: 

McKinney Boyd: 

I don't think some of these videos are a very good representation of the bands (I can't really figure out a way to say that the way I wanted to). I mean like I watched the Hebron video and its a video from the top left corner and there's a bunch of wind. So most of the time you hear more woodwinds than brass, considering that the brass is on the right side for a lot of this show. they are still having some timing issues, but besides that they sound pretty good, but again it's just kindof hard to tell because its a completely different experience watching a show from the middle and from the side

This is the worst judging EVER. Bias, but Richland is way better than Trinity, Martin, and Allen. Trinity couldn't t get into the top 5 at Wylie and now they're beating the 1st place band. Something is terribly wrong.

Richland's music scores were 940, 900, and 550.

This just shows how if one judge doesn't like a show then they can destroy a bands chance.

Oh well I guess we will just have to see how Richland does at BOA SA.