6a Area D Marching Contest

Bowie, CTJ, Ronald Reagan, Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Hendrickson, Westlake, Pflugerville, Westwood, and Anderson seem to be the top competitors. 

I believe there will be 7 advancing to State? I may be wrong though.

Locks:

Bowie

CTJ

Reagan

Bubble:

Cedar Ridge 

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Westlake?? - not sure on where to put them after BOA Austin, then again that was pretty early in the season

Here's my breakdown of the bands. This could very well be the hardest section in Texas.

(I'm not sure who's going, so ill break down the top competitors.)

Bowie: Bowie is most likely going to make it. Their band is filled with exceptional players and they have great marching technique, thus showing their caption at BOA Austin. However, from the video I've seen of them, their show this year seems a big, plateauish (If you know what I mean). They don't particularly get loud and I just am not ready to jump out of my seat.

CTJ: I haven't seen their band this year but they usually are among the top.

Regan: They placed I the middle of finals at BOA Austin. They usually are right behind Bowie and Round Rock so I think they will go very far this year.

Cedar Ridge: Their show concept is really cool this year, with the huge props. Adding onto that they were a GN finalist band last year they could really pull ahead of these other bands if they can really push through.

Hendrickson: I absolutely love their show. However, since they skipped from 4A to 6A this year it's going to be a whole different competition.

Westlake: Now this band surprised me... They made finals at BOA SA and BOA Austin in 2013 but didn't make it at Austin this year. In fact, they were 4 spots away. I'm not sure if they had a bad show, but if they want to make Area, they need to start pulling into some finals.

Pflugerville: Another band who I was surprised that didn't make finals at BOA Austin. I'm not really sure about them.

Westwood: Last year I wasn't real impressed with them, however this year they missed finals at Austin by 1. They beat Westlake, Anderson, Vista Ridge, and Pflugerville. Maybe they got a better show this year.

Anderson: They got 7th at BOA Austin last year but this year got 18th. This was so surprising. It's another Westlake case. However, at the Westlake marching festival they got 5th, improving their score by over 16 points (Got around an 85). They really need to put it in high gear if they want to advance.

Round Rock: They won Westlake Marching Festival and got 2nd at BOA Austin. They will definitely be moving on. No questions asked. Their music is phenomenal.

(Here are some that I also think have a chance).

Lake Travis: They got 10th at Westlake Festival and 5th at Vista Ridge Competition. I think their visuals are good but I feel like they could be louder for their size. Still an idea.

Akins: Not many talk about Akins... They got 8th at the Vista Ridge Competition and just missed finals at the Texas Marching Classic. Their visuals are really cool but towards the end it kind of gets off.

This is such a hard area. I think all these bands are phenomenal.

Here are my list of the 7 that will be moving on.

1) Round Rock

2) Bowie

3) CTJ

4) Regan

5) Cedar Ridge

6) Hendrikson

7) ( A tie between Westlake and Anderson, could go either way).

Here's my breakdown of the bands. This could very well be the hardest section in Texas.

(I'm not sure who's going, so ill break down the top competitors.)

Bowie: Bowie is most likely going to make it. Their band is filled with exceptional players and they have great marching technique, thus showing their caption at BOA Austin. However, from the video I've seen of them, their show this year seems a big, plateauish (If you know what I mean). They don't particularly get loud and I just am not ready to jump out of my seat.

CTJ: I haven't seen their band this year but they usually are among the top.

Regan: They placed I the middle of finals at BOA Austin. They usually are right behind Bowie and Round Rock so I think they will go very far this year.

Cedar Ridge: Their show concept is really cool this year, with the huge props. Adding onto that they were a GN finalist band last year they could really pull ahead of these other bands if they can really push through.

Hendrickson: I absolutely love their show. However, since they skipped from 4A to 6A this year it's going to be a whole different competition.

Westlake: Now this band surprised me... They made finals at BOA SA and BOA Austin in 2013 but didn't make it at Austin this year. In fact, they were 4 spots away. I'm not sure if they had a bad show, but if they want to make Area, they need to start pulling into some finals.

Pflugerville: Another band who I was surprised that didn't make finals at BOA Austin. I'm not really sure about them.

Westwood: Last year I wasn't real impressed with them, however this year they missed finals at Austin by 1. They beat Westlake, Anderson, Vista Ridge, and Pflugerville. Maybe they got a better show this year.

Anderson: They got 7th at BOA Austin last year but this year got 18th. This was so surprising. It's another Westlake case. However, at the Westlake marching festival they got 5th, improving their score by over 16 points (Got around an 85). They really need to put it in high gear if they want to advance.

Round Rock: They won Westlake Marching Festival and got 2nd at BOA Austin. They will definitely be moving on. No questions asked. Their music is phenomenal.

(Here are some that I also think have a chance).

Lake Travis: They got 10th at Westlake Festival and 5th at Vista Ridge Competition. I think their visuals are good but I feel like they could be louder for their size. Still an idea.

Akins: Not many talk about Akins... They got 8th at the Vista Ridge Competition and just missed finals at the Texas Marching Classic. Their visuals are really cool but towards the end it kind of gets off.

This is such a hard area. I think all these bands are phenomenal.

Here are my list of the 7 that will be moving on.

1) Round Rock

2) Bowie

3) CTJ

4) Regan

5) Cedar Ridge

6) Hendrikson

7) ( A tie between Westlake and Anderson, could go either way).

Actually, I believe Round Rock placed 3rd at BOA Austin.

Based on what I've seen so far, here are the bands that I believe have the best chance of moving on:

1) Bowie

2) CTJ

3) Round Rock

4) Hendrickson

5) Reagan

6) Cedar Ridge

7) Westlake

Yea. Those are good. But I saw Westlake at BOA Austin, and I just wasn't that impressed. I believe Lake Travis, Phlugerville and Anderson are much better this year.

As someone from Westlake, we've made so much progress since BOA Austin. For the first week after that we were still reeling, but we've kicked it in gear. Our last show went great, completely different from BOA Austin.

Here's that show (from our last football game):

There are about 7 locks

Bowie

CTJ

Round Rock

Hendrickson

Reagan

Cedar Ridge

Westlake

However there are about 9 bubble schools for 3 spots

Anderson

Pflugerville

Westwood

Chruchill

Hays

Lake Travis

O'Connor

Wagner

New Braunfels

O'Connor is in Area G... Not area D. That said, Judson was an area D finalist in 2012, they'll be a strong contender.

My guess for finals would be:

1) CTJ

2) Bowie

3) Round Rock

4) Reagan

5) Cedar Ridge

6) Hendrickson

7) Westlake

8) Westwood

9) Pflugerville

10) Anderson

I'm going to try to see all the bands and expect a wonderful competition!  UIL placements don't usually mirror BOA scoring, so it's very hard to guess who will make the top 10 or the eventual top 6, though there are obviously four or five bands that pretty much everyone is expecting to go to state (CTJ, Bowie, RR, Reagan, maybe CR).  Most of the lists seem to be Austin heavy, and that's probably accurate, but don't count out Churchill.  I hear they've been cleaning things up and have a very entertaining show.  One that most likely won't make the cut, but has a fun show to watch, is Lee.  In region 12, Johnson and Reagan remain the powerhouses, but Churchill can play the spoiler.  Judson and Wagner could be dark horses also vying for a finals slot.

All the Regions that have had their contests advanced 24 Bands to the Area D contest. Only Area 18 left (tonight) and they have 10 potential schools in the the contest. So if all 10 get superior marks, still is only 34, less than the 35 needed for 7 bands to advance to State from Area D. At least that's my reading of the situation, so no possibility of 7 now. Bummer.

Here is the contest schedule for this Saturday!

1. Smithson Valley HS - 9:00

2. Bowie HS - 9:15

3. Churchill HS - 9:30

4. Cedar Ridge HS - 9:45

5. Lehman HS - 10:00

6. Madison HS - 10:15

7. Reagan HS - 10:30

8. Rouse HS - 10:45

9. Pflugerville HS - 11:00

JUDGES' BREAK - 11:15

10. Judson HS - 11:30

11. Belton HS - 11:45

12. Clemens HS - 12:00

13. Anderson HS - 12:15

14. McNeil HS - 12:30

15. Canyon HS - 12:45

16. Hendrickson HS - 1:00

17. C.T. Johnson HS - 1:15

JUDGES' LUNCH BREAK - 1:30-2:30

18. Ellison HS - 2:30

19. Round Rock HS - 2:45

20. East Central HS - 3:00

21. Jack C. Hays HS - 3:15

22. New Braunfels HS - 3:30

23. Lake Travis HS - 3:45

24. S.F. Austin HS - 4:00

25. MacArthur HS - 4:15

26. Midway HS - 4:30

JUDGES' BREAK - 4:45

27. Wagner HS - 5:00

28. Westlake HS - 5:15

29. Westwood HS - 5:30

30. Copperas Cove HS - 5:45

31. Akins HS - 6:00

32. Lee HS - 6:15

33. Steele HS - 6:30

34. Del Valle HS - 6:45

DRUM MAJOR

RETREAT/ANNOUNCEMENT

7:30

FINALS begin at

9:00 PM

This contest is absolutley stacked! Also, we are shy just one band of being able to send 7 to state (correct me if I'm wrong), which is so unfortunate! That top 6 is going to be so competitive!