Trombones

mindfulmusician

So, after reading about the Trumpets, Mellophones and Euphoniums, I figured it was time to start a post of our own here. To all fellow trombonists:

Greetings! I hope you have found plenty of happiness playing the loudest, best instrument on this planet. Personally, I play a Conn Bass Trombone (courtesy of my college - I usually play tenor trombone, but I had to play bass this year), and usually play on a Schilke 52, have a Bach 5G (but don't use it much) but am practicing on a Schilke 59 to hit some LOW notes. I have a range from about the pedal Bb (can usually get to pedal F, and have tried to get to pedal Bb BELOW that, but no success yet) to the High Bb (three lines above the bass clef). But I can best tune notes in between the pedal Bb and the high G. Oh yeah, I'm trying to work on my upper range, so that I can hit the high Bb's and above with more ease (usually I hit the high Ab a few times before finally hitting that Bb)...does anyone have any tips on how to increase range? Any special exercises?

So, I decided to make this post, because I've seen a few of y'all out there, but I figured I'd take it upon myself to gather us all together. So, feel free to talk about whatever you know about the instrument, experiences, your expertise, etc, etc. I hope to hear from some of you trombonists soon. Thanks for reading! :D

- mm

dude

the reason that we trombonists havent started any threads is that:

we are slackers!

:D aren't we awesome?

lol...very true...but I would have to say that the tubas, are, BY FAR, the most laziest section in the bunch...perhaps thats a reason why there is no tuba post yet. Anyway, I guess its good to meet some other lazy trombonists. :lol:

- mm

lol, im not a trombone player but i think there awesome. Have any one you ever lost your slide on the field?... lmao. I saw someone do that and it was freakin funny.

How could you lose your slide on the field? I think it would be pretty hard...but, I could see how it could happen. lol...there was this one occaision at a game when we were turning around from back field to front, and I hit this mello's plume, and almost knocked down his shako (when we had done this in practice, I was able to clear his head, but I forgot to compensate for the plume heighth. Yeah...he was a senior, and I was only a junior, and he was pretty pissed off after the fact; after that, he NEVER let me forget about the incident...lol.

i've lost my slide in band class before. my berp was falling off my horn and i reached up to get it and my slide fell off. it was COMPLETELY mortifying because our director stopped everyone and said "how do you DO that?!!'

this guy buddy has lost his slide on the field before, but he caught it. barely.

Actualgirltrombone, I have to admit, every time I see your avatar, I chuckle. That pic is SO hilarious.

Anyway, there was this ONE time where this stupid trombone player (he quit in 9th grade, thank god) was SPINNING his trombone (it was standing up on the slide, and he was twirling it around...all of a sudden, he lost his grip and it LOUDLY clattered and fell to the ground. Yeah...our director was not at all happy when that happened.

- mm

We had a kid drop his trombone off the top of the stands at an away game.... our director was pissed.

omg that kid is my hero

omg one year there was this kid who would balance his whole trombone on his hand and suprisingly never dropped it.

and then also my sister played the trombone and she went over for hey band and while she was gone her section filled her horn with water and when she got back she had to bring her horn up fast so she didnt notice the extra weight and when she tried to play water shot through her bell all over the people in front of her

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

iam another lazy trombone....i dont do much of the fancy traveling to far away places...i just sit a school....and play my horn...but i do get to march..thats fun...i really should pratice more often...you guys seem to be great ...i wish i put as much work into as you do.

But, my school's low brass section as a whole sounds amazing. we carry the band on our shoulders. B) we'er just that good. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have you all beat in Laziness

I'm in the 1st band at my school and i dont even own a horn... sure i have my old pea-shooter but i'm saving that for the trombone olympics this year :D

and it's not that i cant afford it, oh no, it's just because i havent taken the time to go get one...

so everyday i use the horn of a different person, it's quite a wonderful experience... i get to try out all these different trombones and mouthpieces!

so consider yourself beaten

• 1 month later...
Man I have a whole new respect for you trombones. I tried to learn one this weekend cus I want to do a low brass insturment... after like 30 minuts I was like "Skrew this im doin baritone" lol. Its sooo hard knowing where to stop the slide!

I switched in January... and it took me a month and a half until I was able to start playing with the rest of my section in the lowest band! >_< I thought the hardest part was going to be the positions but it was really just switching clefs and figuring out which position goes with what note.

I'm really glad I made the switch though, I'm so much more talented at trombone :-P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a trombonist!! I'm like a paradox, I'm a non-lazy trombonist, and I spend like all of my time trying to convince the rest of my section to not be lazy... Doesn't work too well though.

And as for slides falling off, it's like impossible for me. I haven't lubricated my marching horn's slide since the 6th grade (I'm in 11th now), and i have a dent in the slide right near the end of it that makes it stop right around 7th position, so I'm all set