Euphs

euro_euph06

why is the only real major in a euphonium forum about having to hold up a piece of metal? i dont get that.

whatever happened to the artistic musical side of playing the instrument. our instrument has one of the most beautiful tones in the band and a pretty big range compared to other instruments. what about concert pieces that feature the euphoniums like

melody shop. Festive Overture has an awsome euph part also. and the solos? Pantomime? Morceau de Concert? Fantasia?

comon people this is also a concert band euph forum. and in my opinion Sterling makes the bests euphs for soloistic work. ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how High School Euphonium players these days are familiar with pieces that were actually written for Euphonium! Even when I graduated from HS in '04 there wasn't a single piece of music on the PML list that was written originally for Euphonium....they were all pieces originally written for Trombone, Tuba, Trumpet, Bassoon, Tenor Sax or Cello transcribed for the instrument.

It's not that that the instrument didn't have any pieces written for it, there's actually a very good sized list....it's just that nobody gave a flying f.uck enough about the Euphonium to add any of those works to the PML. Most people who play Euphonium in public high schools were moved over on to it from, again, Trombone, Tuba, Trumpet, Bassoon, Tenor Sax or Cello(lol) so I guess it made the most sense to those band directors to move the repertoire from those instruments on to the Euphonium as well.

'Pantomime'....heh, every Euphonium player worth their salt is familiar with that piece......5 years ago it was the opposite case. Same goes for "Rhapsody for Euphonium" by Curnow and "Yellow Rose of Texas Variations" by Buckley; both spectacular pieces prevailingly obscure outside of the professional Euphonium community ("professional community" being Euphonium College Professors and Professional Military/Symphonic Wind Band performers and their students) until they were added to the PML a year or 2 ago.

• 1 month later...
Actually it is still kinda like that just slightly better. All the solos i have played in HS and middle were pretty much written for Trombone. O.o and the Mouthpiece thing I'm playing on a Wick SM2 right now.

True. I'm just saying the list is now '95% Trombone/Trumpet/other transcriptions, 5% original Euphonium music' when it used to be '100% Trombone/Trumpet/other transcriptions, 0% original Euphonium music' lol.

If you play Euphonium, PLEASE play stuff on the PML from the original repertoire. If the title is "____ for Euphonium" it's probably an original work written specifically for the Euphonium.

In your oppinion whats the best mouthpiece and insturment brand?

wrong quote. quote the comment below this one on wilson euphs!

yes, but York and Miraphone are also BOSS!

im trying to decide on which one to get.

plus im getting a new mouthpiece, im using a SM4 right now and its the best MP ive ever used.

but i thinking on getting a Giddings and Webster Carbonaria, or a kadja.

Edited by MacBariphonium09

why is the only real major in a euphonium forum about having to hold up a piece of metal? i dont get that.

whatever happened to the artistic musical side of playing the instrument. our instrument has one of the most beautiful tones in the band and a pretty big range compared to other instruments. what about concert pieces that feature the euphoniums like

melody shop. Festive Overture has an awsome euph part also. and the solos? Pantomime? Morceau de Concert? Fantasia?

comon people this is also a concert band euph forum. and in my opinion Sterling makes the bests euphs for soloistic work. ;)

yea euph is a very under rated insrument. someone needs to do something to bring it out more to the public or something.

have it as a leading role in a movie...ahha

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So I finally have started to design the shirt for the Euphoniums. Here is my idea as of now:

1) On the front: A large Texas flag centered in the middle. Underneath it will say: EUPHS---BECAUSE WE ARE JUST BETTER IN TEXAS

2) On the back: Stock name list with school names included, grouped by last name, and at the top above the names it will say "THE ORIGINIAL, OFFICIAL TXBANDS.COM 2006 EUPH LINE"

3) On the right sleeve: Designed By: EURO_EUPH06

Color Choices) Gray, Blue, Black, or White

So???????

you need to throw in "Our bore is bigger than yours." as a sexual innuendo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In a pinch I've actually spit on my valves before to make them work when they were sticking and I didn't have immediate access to oil or anything else.

Really though, you can make them stop sticking just by dousing them in water. Once the water dries you'll be back to where you started but it can provide the necessary lubrication you need if you find your valves starting sticking right before an important playing moment and you don't have access to any oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...