euro_euph06

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey, how many girl euphs use this site??

It's funny, cause you can usually pick them out as the girls with the biggest biceps.

It's kinda makes you sad to beat a boy at arm wrestling, but not really.

Sorry to resurrect this almost dead thread, but I had to correct my fellow Westwood euphonium player.

Unless your arms are out of whack, you don't use your biceps to hold up a marching baritone/euphonium, you use your deltoids, your shoulders. Having bigger biceps will actually make it harder because it will add to the weight that your shoulders have to hold up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone asked about girl euphs. Well, here I am! I'm the only girl in my section (tuba/euph combined), and yet I somehow am section leader. I guess I have the boys beat. :o

Anyway, one of my best friends is the flute section leader, and he likes to say that holding my heavy instrument up is A LOT easier than holding his flute up.

He even ARGUES it.

What the HECK is that about?

It's funny cuz I got a call from one of my euphonium freshmen yesterday, and he was crying. I took him weightlifting the other day, and he said he tried to hold the horn up at attention for like five minutes and couldn't do it. Poor lad. I remember how it was when I was a freshmen.

I sympathized, but I was firm with him. I said "Evan, this year's a state year, and practices are two hours long. You've gotta be able to hold it up for the whole practice. It's gonna hurt like a mofo, but you've gotta do it. I mean, even halftime is 10 minutes long for us with the drill team music."

I love freshmen. They're so helpless.