Clarinets.

chickora

By far, the best widely available Bb Clarinet for almost all playing situations is the Buffet R13 (Regular, not Festival or any of the other variations).

Always play a number of clarinets (even of the same model) before you purchase one as they are hand made and so every one is slightly different.

The R11, E13, and E11 are made in the exact same manner and with the exact same materials as the R13 (they just didn't go through as rigorous of testing) so you can theoretically find an E11 that is just as good as an R13, but you will have to do a lot of searching around and you still may not find one.

By far, the best widely available Bb Clarinet for almost all playing situations is the Buffet R13 (Regular, not Festival or any of the other variations).

Always play a number of clarinets (even of the same model) before you purchase one as they are hand made and so every one is slightly different.

The R11, E13, and E11 are made in the exact same manner and with the exact same materials as the R13 (they just didn't go through as rigorous of testing) so you can theoretically find an E11 that is just as good as an R13, but you will have to do a lot of searching around and you still may not find one.

But what if I want to be a Jazz Clarinetist? Any suggestions on costumary stuff?

Definatly an R-13. I have had mine since 7th grade and the only repairs on it if you take great care is pad changes, plus a great sound. Also as far as mouthpeices go I recommend a Robert Scott Mouthpeice. Reeds: Vandoren Rue Lupics(sp?) they are such amazing reeds. They are the newest by Vandoren and sound great esp for Texas.

As far as jazz..Get as many great jazz books because you dont become a jazz player over night. The first chair clarinet at my school has been practicing jazz since her freshman year and finally as a Junior last year she was able to get all the solos from Benny Goodman's sing, sing, sing. And if you dont know who Benny Goodman is...then you should be one ashamed clarinet player!

Definatly an R-13. I have had mine since 7th grade and the only repairs on it if you take great care is pad changes, plus a great sound. Also as far as mouthpeices go I recommend a Robert Scott Mouthpeice. Reeds: Vandoren Rue Lupics(sp?) they are such amazing reeds. They are the newest by Vandoren and sound great esp for Texas.

As far as jazz..Get as many great jazz books because you dont become a jazz player over night. The first chair clarinet at my school has been practicing jazz since her freshman year and finally as a Junior last year she was able to get all the solos from Benny Goodman's sing, sing, sing. And if you dont know who Benny Goodman is...then you should be one ashamed clarinet player!

Oh jesus, I love Benny Goodmen!! :-D I have his greatest hits cd.

I also have several jazz books, but I don't quite have the right equipment to get the sound I love. I am really good at articulating. Also, love to go the the altissimo(sp?) register.

• 4 months later...

As far as jazz..Get as many great jazz books because you dont become a jazz player over night. The first chair clarinet at my school has been practicing jazz since her freshman year and finally as a Junior last year she was able to get all the solos from Benny Goodman's sing, sing, sing.  And if you dont know who Benny Goodman is...then you should be one ashamed clarinet player!

I agree with the R-13...I got mine at the end of 7th grade and it's still pretty good. Of course, it'd be better if I didn't use it for marching season too (I'll wait while you other clarinet players gasp in horror) but considering how much it's been through, it's awesome! I also reccommend using cork padding--it lasts longer from what I hear. I only got it because it prevents wear and tear from marching season. As for Benny Goodman, I think we're playing his collection of songs for the spring concert...at least, if my band director has enough faith in me to pull off all the solos because jazz stuff has always been my weak spot :ph34r: As for the rue lepics, I <33333 them!! I ran out and haven't ordered anymore and since Vandoren is like, short on reeds or something, I can't even get the silver box...I've been getting Mitchell Lurie's or something.Grr

PS---does anyone know where I could get a Benny Goodman CD?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmm for a clarinet...get an r-13..but if you really want like a top of the line horn you should try out the R-13 prestige model or RC Model with the modified bore on the second joint and bell. All three are great horns. Also try a Moening Barell..adds some projection and some PING to your sound lol but yea im starting clarinet again..having trouble reaching the altissimo notes (notes above staff C and beyond) any tips>?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
hmm for a clarinet...get an r-13..but if you really want like a top of the line horn you should try out the R-13 prestige model or RC Model with the modified bore on the second joint and bell. All three are great horns. Also try a Moening Barell..adds some projection and some PING to your sound lol but yea im starting clarinet again..having trouble reaching the altissimo notes (notes above staff C and beyond) any tips>?

hmmm...i suggest 3.5 str reeds for control, but i play on 4s out of the box. 5's have nice sounds, but take forever to break in - and really are unecessary.

keep a nice firm ombisher (sp?) and fast, cold air.. idk what else to say.. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...