2013 BOA San Antonio Super Regional

Cedar Park embodies general effect before numerous, intricate props and theatrical story lines became mixed into what GE is today. They take a hard visual book and a hard music book, and play and march the snot out of them, which maximizes their show's potential. Interestingly enough, the "worst" Cedar Park has done since 2008 in BOA San Antonio finals is when they attempted a considerably more "BOA friendly" show for Grand Nationals. If Cedar Park fills any specific niche for marching band, it's certainly as the band who still sticks to strong marching and powerful playing, which I think shows great effect on its own.

Cedar Park's show is definitely not flashy, but I think their music is still pretty cool. Though, when I watch their show I definitely think of it more as UIL champion status than BOA champ. I definitely think they'll make finals because they execute their show well and it's written good enough to receive props for GE, but I'm not sure if I would put them in the top 5. 

I just watched Bell's show and it is written very well, but I just feels like it's missing dynamics. I miss the Bell that would blow us away with their volume. I remember pre 2009 their shows were very dynamic, but especially for the past two years it seems like they've toned it down. I don't see them taking gold or silver at BOA SA and I think they'll really have to fight with CTJ and Hebron for bronze. Their show didn't quite leave me feeling satisfied I felt like I wanted more. I think they will have more to add by the end of the season.

I just watched the videos from BOA Allen. I actually think LD Bell is a lot better this year than they were last year. They have a lot more power in their sound, and visually, it really does have some nice moments. I would have scored them higher than Marcus, to be honest. I'm just really underwhelmed by where Marcus is right now. The show is just so painfully obviously not up to the extremely high standard they've set for themselves. Only during the big hit of the ballad did I think, "Oh, this is the Marcus I love." I hope they're able to add some more interesting and difficult elements to their show before SA and Nationals. They need to grow, grow, grow.

Hebron's win was well-deserved. I would have placed them first as well. They're just really outstanding this year. I'm not sure I saw such a big difference between the Conroe and the Allen finals performances, though. Actually, the main thing I noticed was how much better the audio recording at Allen was than it was at Conroe. That's not to say there wasn't improvement. Hebron seemed to play more energetically; the articulations throughout the opener were certainly more vigorous. Then they also had the new guard outfits and the additional closer material. In any case, I think they'll do quite well at San Antonio. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put them. I think they have a strong shot at the top 3. Really, at this point, I think it's an all-out brawl for second and third place between Bowie, CTJ, Hebron, Bell, and Marcus. Barring strange judging (which is always a possibility), The Woodlands will win. I feel pretty confident about that. Then again, there are a couple duds on the judging panel this year, including the guy that placed CTJ dead-last in music GE last year during finals. I just really hope they aren't judging in categories where they could really wreak some havoc (*cough*GE*cough).

I just watched the videos from BOA Allen. I actually think LD Bell is a lot better this year than they were last year. They have a lot more power in their sound, and visually, it really does have some nice moments. I would have scored them higher than Marcus, to be honest. I'm just really underwhelmed by where Marcus is right now. The show is just so painfully obviously not up to the extremely high standard they've set for themselves. Only during the big hit of the ballad did I think, "Oh, this is the Marcus I love." I hope they're able to add some more interesting and difficult elements to their show before SA and Nationals. They need to grow, grow, grow.

Hebron's win was well-deserved. I would have placed them first as well. They're just really outstanding this year. I'm not sure I saw such a big difference between the Conroe and the Allen finals performances, though. Actually, the main thing I noticed was how much better the audio recording at Allen was than it was at Conroe. That's not to say there wasn't improvement. Hebron seemed to play more energetically; the articulations throughout the opener were certainly more vigorous. Then they also had the new guard outfits and the additional closer material. In any case, I think they'll do quite well at San Antonio. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put them. I think they have a strong shot at the top 3. Really, at this point, I think it's an all-out brawl for second and third place between Bowie, CTJ, Hebron, Bell, and Marcus. Barring strange judging (which is always a possibility), The Woodlands will win. I feel pretty confident about that. Then again, there are a couple duds on the judging panel this year, including the guy that placed CTJ dead-last in music GE last year during finals. I just really hope they aren't judging in categories where they could really wreak some havoc (*cough*GE*cough).

The only problem I see with Hebron is that they are remarkably DONE. The drill looks finished and the body movement is all put in. It's the direct opposite of Marcus, Bell, The Woodlands who have yet to finish their drill, let alone clean or put in movement. While there is certainly a lot of points to be head in cleaning the visual and music, there is still the possibility that Hebron's trajectory to success may flatline come BOASA.

Also, I am confused with Cedar Park and Stephen F. Austin.  What happened to the directors from Stephen F. Austin, why did the Cedar Park head director switch over to Stephen F. Austin, and what is going on with Cedar Park now?  Also, is it true that L. D. Bell fired all their visual/drill people from last year and hired a bunch of guys from the Blue Devils?

Don't forget James Bowie! I'd say those bands will take the top six spots most likely.

But another thing, can somebody please explain to me why bands like Marcus, LD Bell, TWHS, and Bowie all keep video recordings of their shows off of the internet? You search any of those bands on youtube and you can't even find a single football game performance, and I'm 99% sure it's done on purpose. I honestly can't make a good judgment call for predictions until I've seen the performances but there are none available.

I have heard that the reason is so that there is an extraordinarily low chance of a judge seeing their show before a competition.  I think Reagan does that too, even though they may not be on the same level as those bands.  most of them release their shows on youtube after their last competition, which wouldn't make sense if they were trying to avoid breaking copyright laws.

The only problem I see with Hebron is that they are remarkably DONE. The drill looks finished and the body movement is all put in. It's the direct opposite of Marcus, Bell, The Woodlands who have yet to finish their drill, let alone clean or put in movement. While there is certainly a lot of points to be head in cleaning the visual and music, there is still the possibility that Hebron's trajectory to success may flatline come BOASA.

I totally agree with you. I mean of course, there's always the small possibility they could still add some unexpected things like some changes or a post-show movement as I'm sure you know, but I totally agree it definitely seems like they have peaked from a show-design standpoint. And like you said, there is a lot of points to be earned in cleaning up the show. If there's one advantage they have over the other top contenders, it's that they now have WAY more time than the others do to clean their show before SA. If this were a 5A UIL State year, Hebron would be my favorite to win that contest by far (as a matter of fact, I'm already interested to see how state goes for them next year if they do have a year similar to this year). BUT this is BOA, and The Woodlands is going to be a flat out GE monster by the time SA rolls around, and the same goes for CTJ. AND Marcus and Bell's shows very well could be WAY better once finished, which would also make them serious top 3 contenders. As for Bowie, music hindering them from competing with the other 5 bands is a possibility, but that also may not be the case when SA rolls around. AND they do have the GE to compete with the other 5, so I don't know what to predict. But yeah, Hebron's success at SA may very well depend on how much the other 5 bands add to their shows and improve. Going to be one heck of a showdown! 

How about the other bands that are expected to fill out the top ten, such as Reagan, Round Rock, Cedar Park, and (potentially) Cedar Ridge?  Does anyone think one of them might come in for an upset and take 6th or 5th place?  Reagan tends to peak later in the season, and they made 3rd in state prelims and 5th in grand nationals prelims last year, so they have lots of potential.  Round Rock is ok at UIL, but their shows are pretty good for BOA stuff, and they had some pretty awesome moments last year.  I think either of these could make an upset, but don't know enough about the projected top 6 bands.  What do you guys think?

How about the other bands that are expected to fill out the top ten, such as Reagan, Round Rock, Cedar Park, and (potentially) Cedar Ridge?  Does anyone think one of them might come in for an upset and take 6th or 5th place?  Reagan tends to peak later in the season, and they made 3rd in state prelims and 5th in grand nationals prelims last year, so they have lots of potential.  Round Rock is ok at UIL, but their shows are pretty good for BOA stuff, and they had some pretty awesome moments last year.  I think either of these could make an upset, but don't know enough about the projected top 6 bands.  What do you guys think?

I have a feeling there won't be an upset in the top 6 and the bands listed earlier (marcus, ld bell, twhs, bowie, ctj, hebron) will take those spots. If anyone is to fall, I think it will be Hebron - but I don't see that happening honestly.

For the 7-10 grouping, I would probably put Round Rock, Cedar Park, Coppell (they did have a very good showing at BOA Allen), and reagan, though I think Reagan will be at the tail end of this group.

And then the most competitive area will be for spots 11-14 which could be any of the following in my opinion: Flower Mound, Richland (they seem to be a peak late usually), Cedar Ridge, Plano East, Blue Springs MO, Vandegrift, Westlake, Keller Central, Keller, Leander, Spring, and maybe a few others.

This contest is ridiculous honestly and I feel like it's not all about the -Marcus, LD Bell, TWHS- trifecta anymore. Any of those top six could potentially take the top three spots. This just shows the depth of talent in this competition and even the 20th place band is probably pretty darn good.

I have heard that the reason is so that there is an extraordinarily low chance of a judge seeing their show before a competition.  I think Reagan does that too, even though they may not be on the same level as those bands.  most of them release their shows on youtube after their last competition, which wouldn't make sense if they were trying to avoid breaking copyright laws.

Bingo.

First impressions carry extra impact.  If a judge has seen the show before, they lose that edge.

I totally agree with this comment. I'm a bit of Lewisville ISD homer (Marcus, Hebron, Flower Mound) because we've had many friends and family go through those programs, but the two shows that I have seen with the most upside potential are LD Bell and Cedar Ridge and I'll make an early prediction that LDB will beat TW at BOASA. Give me LDB, TW, and then some mix of Hebron, Marcus, Cedar Ridge, and CTJ for the top 6.

BTW--Several big bands playing at the Duncanville contest next week. That should be a good barometer.

I really want to see how Cedar Ridge and Vandegrift fare this year. Is it finally time for them to break into BOA SA finals?

My Finals Prediction (no particular order):

Locks:

Woodlands 

Marcus

Bell

CTJ

Hebron

Cedar Park

Bowie

Bubble:

Spring

Reagan

Cedar Ridge

Round Rock

Vandegrift

Anderson

Flower Mound

Leander 

Westlake

Keller Central

Coppell

I think I'd put Round Rock in the "locks" category. Vandegrift, from what I saw at BOA Austin (very impressive), is headed for a BOASA FINALS breakthrough. I also think that unlike last year's early season, Cedar Ridge hasn't shown all their cards yet. Fingers crossed for a breakthrough for them as well.

I think I'd put Round Rock in the "locks" category. Vandegrift, from what I saw at BOA Austin (very impressive), is headed for a BOASA FINALS breakthrough. I also think that unlike last year's early season, Cedar Ridge hasn't shown all their cards yet. Fingers crossed for a breakthrough for them as well.

I think a lot of bands don't show all their cards until BOA SA finals. I know RR doesn't. It would be nice to see TWO bands from RRISD in finals.

All I want to say is, don't discount Richland from the top 7. Those Allen finals were promising.

I feel like once they add the closer, and the rest of the props, and start cleaning more, they will do much better. I was afraid they wouldn't make SA Finals last year because of their placement at Denton and St. Louis, but they blossomed at the perfect time, jumping up 7 or so points in only 2 weeks.

BOA Denton: 75.9 --Sep. 29

BOA STL: 79.05 (+3.15) --Oct. 19, 3 weeks later

BOA SA: 86.2 (+7.15) -- Nov. 2, 2 weeks later

I'm not sure if they'll break into the top 10 again. We'll have to see how they do at Duncanville. I do think they will get a lot of credit for their drill if they can march it well. That's a lot of rotating boxes and lines to be had.

I hate to be the guy that just responds to every little thing but I'm sorry, I couldn't help it with this one... I had written a huge rant in response to this special little post about how disrespectful I think it is to say you will shake your head if a band makes finals and how rude it is to openly say you hope a band doesn't earn a finals spot, but you know what, let's just try to keep this forum positive from here on out.

I'm sorry, but I never said I hope they do not earn a finals spot. I said "I hope they are not guaranteed a spot". That is completely different. I supported my case using examples from other marching shows this year and my own feelings upon hearing their performance live. BOA is an organization riddled with politics. If there is a category titled GE, then it should be assessed accurately across the board. I am an extremely positive person, but I am also a frustrated one as well. Cedar Park's show this year is a musical triumph, no doubt. But I wouldn't call it spectacular, and honestly, their color guard is weak. In the end, though, my frustration is not with the program, it is with the judging. Cedar Park is a wonderful band (I mean, they just won honor band...duh) that is free to make its own artistic choices. But come time of the performance, it deserves to be judged fairly for those choices. I get that there are people that love watching them march so precisely and play great music. There is no question they excel at what they do. But is that what BOA is about? I sat somewhat close to a judge at BOA Conroe, and overheard him talking so heatedly about the specific choice of arm movement during one visual of Hebron's show. My point is that I do not see much creative or visual energy about Cedar Park's show, yet they will still beat a ton of other bands at BOA San Antonio. Yes, I could have said it in my first post a little nicer, but I was not untruthful. 

And by the way, there are much more disrespectful things I could have said than "I will shake my head".  

I'm sorry, but I never said I hope they do not earn a finals spot. I said "I hope they are not guaranteed a spot". That is completely different. I supported my case using examples from other marching shows this year and my own feelings upon hearing their performance live. BOA is an organization riddled with politics. If there is a category titled GE, then it should be assessed accurately across the board. I am an extremely positive person, but I am also a frustrated one as well. Cedar Park's show this year is a musical triumph, no doubt. But I wouldn't call it spectacular, and honestly, their color guard is weak. In the end, though, my frustration is not with the program, it is with the judging. Cedar Park is a wonderful band (I mean, they just won honor band...duh) that is free to make its own artistic choices. But come time of the performance, it deserves to be judged fairly for those choices. I get that there are people that love watching them march so precisely and play great music. There is no question they excel at what they do. But is that what BOA is about? I sat somewhat close to a judge at BOA Conroe, and overheard him talking so heatedly about the specific choice of arm movement during one visual of Hebron's show. My point is that I do not see much creative or visual energy about Cedar Park's show, yet they will still beat a ton of other bands at BOA San Antonio. Yes, I could have said it in my first post a little nicer, but I was not untruthful. 

And by the way, there are much more disrespectful things I could have said than "I will shake my head".  

I wouldn't say their color guard is weak, just small. It's hard to make a big impact with a small guard. I've seen them perform at winterguard competitions. They are in the open class which is quite high, and they are very good.

I saw both Bowie and CTJ at BOA Austin and they were both amazing. And this was weeks ago. I can only imagine how their shows have cleaned up. Bowie didn't sound weak at all, as mentioned in an earlier post. On the contrary they were as strong as last year with a more difficult marching show. I've heard they have an even larger band this year so that might be adding to their sound. Westlake Marching Festival was last weekend and apparently the rain held off through the day until Bowie played their finals performance. Apparently they nailed it, even in the rain. This might be their year, although Marcus' Charmed show is spectacular! BOASA is going to be fun!

I honestly think Duncanville will be a HUGE prediction of SA. Hebron and Marcus will battle it out once again, Richland will be there along with Flo Mo, Plano East, Richland, and so many more. I would say it'll have at least half the finalists. I just wish the 3 state medalists from last year could battle it out more than once before SA this year but Bell just had different contest choices. It'll make the dome so much more of a contest.