UIL 4A State Marching Contest

I seen Poteet yet, but I agree that they will most likely win. Cedar Park also has a very good chance of winning, obviously. I think another big question is who the third medalist will be. Dripping Springs is a very strong contender, but I was also pretty impressed with Centennial in 2011. I think they also have a strong chance of winning another medal. It's going to be an insane State finals!

I think Poteet will have no problem getting out of area, but they are not as strong as they used to be. It'll be interesting to see where they end up. Frisco Centennial's 2011 show was amazing, but their last year and this year shows don't match up to that last state performance. I predict these 7 bands will be in state finals for sure. (Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Frisco Wakeland, Waxahachie, Dawson, Vista Ridge and Dripping Springs). I think Poteet, Frisco Centennial, Sherman and Forney will be battling for the other spots from what I've seen this year so far.

As an unbiased outsider, I'm thinking it'll be down to Dripping Springs, Cedar Park, Vandegrift, and Vista Ridge. After viewing all their shows and considering their are still weeks until state, I think it's safe to say the winner will be from Area D. All of these shows are very clean and well balanced especially for this time of season. In fact, I think this year is even stronger for Area D than 2011 was.

I personally love how under the radar dripping springs always tends to be. Seems like every year they avoid the big contests, quietly take their 3rd/4th place at Westlake, and then take care of business at area/state. Through all the mess 4A area D seems to go through each realignment, there's always been DS, holding down the 4A fort. In my opinion, DS might consistently be one of the cleanest bands in the state when it comes down to crunch time at the end of the season, maybe only second to Marcus. They're not gonna blow you away with volume, but the clarity of their show at the end of the season is amazing to watch. No idea how they do it. Wouldn't ever count them out.

That said, I do think it'll be hard to dethrone area D. Whether it's the cleanliness of DS or the power and technique of CP/Vandy, whoever Area D sends will be a tough combo to beat. I know the general population of this site tends to be from this region, which might cause a littl bias, but in this case I think it's pretty reasonable bias. Now which band will come out on top?? No freaking clue. But area D finals might be state prelims part 1.

Don't count out area C and area F. They have consistently sent at least two each to state finals in the last few runs. Friendswood, Dawson, Waxahachie, Poteet and Sherman have all been recent state finalists. Poteet, Friendswood, and Waxahachie have also recently been 4A honor bands with great sounds on and off the field. Don't count any of them out just yet. 

I think Poteet will have no problem getting out of area, but they are not as strong as they used to be. It'll be interesting to see where they end up. Frisco Centennial's 2011 show was amazing, but their last year and this year shows don't match up to that last state performance. I predict these 7 bands will be in state finals for sure. (Cedar Park, Vandegrift, Frisco Wakeland, Waxahachie, Dawson, Vista Ridge and Dripping Springs). I think Poteet, Frisco Centennial, Sherman and Forney will be battling for the other spots from what I've seen this year so far.

I agree with a lot of the thoughts you have on state, but I see very differently on Frisco Centennial if you watch their show as it progress from when they started back in early October to now, it has improved significantly! I believe that their show could do really well this year. It all depends on the band as a whole and how hard they work from here to Area. I have been paying attention to other bands like Poteet and Cedar Park and they are obvious choices to move to state, but I do not want to make assumptions of finals results at state until we are past the Area point.

Mellow I agree somewhat with jmatthews, I saw Leander's show and it is very, very cool. Also I learned that leander was only 0.4 away from Vandegrift at the Vista Ridge marching festival. Not a huge difference. I think they have more than just a shot considering those type of scores. (Did a little digging)

I'm sure we will get a bigger glimpse this weekend, as Region for the LISD bands is this Saturday.

In my opinion, I just can't see any other of the LISD schools topping Cedar Park and Vandegrift. Historically, Cedar Park has an unmatched drill velocity (on the UIL track), a HUGE sound and jaw-dropping visual cleanliness. Vandegrift has one of the coolest music books I've heard all season, a kick @*$ show design and, considering their staff, has the potential to have some unbelievable brass power. On top of that, both Vandegrift and Cedar Park placed in the top 3 at 4A honor band. What an unbelievable district for band artistry! 

However, like others have said, both could fall at the hands of Dripping Springs. I am intrigued for a side-by-side comparison of all 3 bands-- especially CP and Dripping, as they are playing some of the same music.

what an insane season for both BOA and UIL. Best of luck to all! 

2011 Dripping Springs and Vandegrift were playing the same music; it all depends on Your final 2 performances.

At State during prelims, DS played their best show of the year and CP made straight 1's; CP nailed it again in finals.

You never know until last note is played.