2013 Duncanville Marching Invitational

And by the way the schedule has been altered Hebron performs at 5:15. I'm not sure how many other bands' prelims times got changed. Anyone know the revised schedule?

That is the only change to the schedule. Clear Falls pulled out and Hebron moved to Clear Falls' performance time.

While I understand your passion for your academics and the desire to do well beyond the scope of high school, you are using tunnel vision in your summary. My father was a counselor for 30 years and recently retired and I can tell you without a doubt your assesment of what colleges want and need is off. Colleges and universities have their criteria to earn acceptance sure, but beyond that the admissions want to be able to see that you can balance multilple activities at once.... Why? Because even those in the top ten or top ten percent will likely not earn full scholarships which is not common anymore. So to compensate I happen to know for a fact that major universities want to see more than just grades. If you can't function in college while holding a job, work well with others, or function in a high stress environment you're not going to impress. It's band and the other extra curricular activities that give that important piece of the puzzle. Ultimately your career depends not upon what you know in a specific class, but how well you can think and assess situations and work within a team environement.Those from your school attending UT Austin are not just accepted to UT, but are likely saving housing monies by being close. That is the reality in many big cities. 

I am a band director that like your band will be taking our students to Duncanville on Saturday and must travel a great distance. That said, I know your directors are commited to excellence needed in the academic classroom and support you. For such a long trip homework/study is a must for our and any students. It's not because I tell them too, but because the individual students have a high priority to show the same pride in their academics as the field. To refute your point..... Our band in the 15 years in existance has had the Valedictorian or Salutatorian 13 times. The only two that did not occur we had the 3rd and 4th ranked students respectively. Each year we have multiple people in the top 10 as well. The past two Valedictorians we have are now at MIT and thriving. Trust me, band was huge in their life and they were far more involved than just our program. Times change, courses do as well, but what is expected in the work force does not. In the end us old folk are not any less educated than today's youth, it was just different but with the same goal. As a band director I hold very little value to getting a trophy as to making an impact on our youth and help prepare them for the real world. Enjoy your time with your amazing band program as it will be gone before you know it. Make everlasting memories and manage your stress, just remember you control your academics and the balancing act that it requires. Have a great show this weekend, best wishes:)

W P   

Preach it, Mr. P :)

Finals cancelled due to weather.

Prelims Results:

Outstanding Winds - Marcus

Outstanding Marching - Marcus

Outstanding General Effect - Marcus

Outstanding Percussion - Hebron

Outstanding Colorguard - Flower Mound

1) Marcus

2) Hebron

3) Plano East

4) Haltom

5) Flower Mound

6) Richland

7) Stephen F Austin

8) Westwood

9) McKinney Boyd

10) Trinity

Finals cancelled due to weather.

Prelims Results:

Outstanding Winds - Marcus

Outstanding Marching - Marcus

Outstanding General Effect - Marcus

Outstanding Percussion - Hebron

Outstanding Colorguard - Flower Mound

1) Marcus

2) Hebron

3) Plano East

4) Haltom

5) Flower Mound

6) Richland

7) Stephen F Austin

8) Westwood

9) McKinney Boyd

10) Trinity

So proud of my Haltom kids today! It was quite a competition with lots of fun shows. A great way to spend a day. Thankful that we made it through all the prelims before the rain came down. :) Congrats to all the bands!!!

I'm not a Band director/band mom, but just a student that marches at Colleyville Heritage

I'm surprised Westwood didn't get 1rst  and i'm not trying to start a argument, but I just would like to hear from band directors/other people point of view about why Westwood didn't win.

There Brass sounded beautiful, and there marching technique was flawless. Also, the general effect was amazing. That was probably one of the best marching bands i've ever seen.

Also, i'm  very proud of the place we got, and the directors agree that was our best show :)

And I loved your props Haltom! Must have been a lot of money haha

Anyways, I loved all the bands and congrats to all of you!

I'm not a Band director/band mom, but just a student that marches at Colleyville Heritage

I'm surprised Westwood didn't get 1rst  and i'm not trying to start a argument, but I just would like to hear from band directors/other people point of view about why Westwood didn't win.

There Brass sounded beautiful, and there marching technique was flawless. Also, the general effect was amazing. That was probably one of the best marching bands i've ever seen.

Also, i'm  very proud of the place we got, and the directors agree that was our best show :)

And I loved your props Haltom! Must have been a lot of money haha

Anyways, I loved all the bands and congrats to all of you!

I thought Westwood's show was great. We were sitting with a group of Westwood parents/fans and we cheered for each other. It was fun, since we're both orange! I'm probably not a great judge of which band shows are best, though. First, I'm a tad biased. ;) Second, I don't watch their feet to see how their technique shows. Third, I'm a terrible guess at which show has the most "effect." I simply love to go and watch the shows. It's actually a relief for me when it's not Haltom, because I'm so nervous when my kids are on the field! I do love to watch Haltom, of course. :) I'm just very nervous, as I think a lot of parents are when it's their kiddos. So all I can say to you about your question on why Westwood didn't win is that they didn't get the highest scores....in other words, it's the judges' perceptions and it's subjective. Also, I looked at the list of judges. Simply INCREDIBLE! I'm in awe at the judges DMI was able to acquire. Really top-notch people who know what they're talking about. You may not understand or like the results, and that's okay, but in the end, we look at the judges and what they know about marching bands and trust their judgment.

As far as the Haltom prop comment, well, sarcasm doesn't relate well online, so I'm going to choose to believe you actually liked our "creatures." They're not props, though They're band kids who worked very, very hard to learn how to walk on those stilts and crutches and make it look easy. One of our moms helped design the costumes and they're made of paper mache. Not a lot of money, at all. Lots of hard work, yes. I think if you ask any parent of any band, from Marcus to Hebron to Richland to The Woodlands and on, they'll tell you that money comes from fundraising and lots of it. We did fundraisers this summer to afford those stilts and the paint, etc. Then, any props or costumes come along with hours and hours of work designing and building.

We didn't get there early enough to see Colleyville's show. I'm glad you all had your best show. That always feels good and you should be proud of it. Good luck to you.

This depresses me.  This site was originally created by high school kids for high school kids....there used to be lots of banter and rivalry between kids and rival schools. I think one year there was even a Txbands relationship and the guy actually went with the girl to her prom...I think there was even a thread about it.

As our original users got older, 7-8 years laters the site slowly got replaced by die-hard bandos (and directors) in their 20s and 30s (and more recently, band moms--which I think is super-cool).  But you should never feel reluctant to post here if you're a student (unless your director tells you not to).  The site was originally meant for you.

EDIT: yup, found it.

http://www.txbands.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2259-hot-date-what/

I'm surprised Westwood didn't get 1st

Their Brass sounded beautiful, and their marching technique was flawless.

I agree.  It's ridiculous that Westwood didn't win.  Hebron did better than Marcus too.  (Loved the props as well, TXMarchingMadness87654)

All of us Westwood folks are PROUD PROUD PROUD of how well we did!    We're having fun watching the directors take us in a new direction.   I can't wait for next year....we've been building the program on complex drills and weird arrangements.  Heck last year we combined Alanis Morissete, Kashmir(Zeppelin) and Scheherazade, this year Muse and Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich.    Too much fun.

I LOVED sitting with the Haltom group.   They have the right color!    In fact, that's what I'm remembering the most....the fact that Haltom, Plano East, Marcus, Flower Mound and Westwood fans were all cheering for each other's bands.   I thought all the bands were outstanding.      

I'm passing on your comments to our Facebook page.....I think they're going to LOVE that you wanted them to win 1st!

All of us Westwood folks are PROUD PROUD PROUD of how well we did!    We're having fun watching the directors take us in a new direction.   I can't wait for next year....we've been building the program on complex drills and weird arrangements.  Heck last year we combined Alanis Morissete, Kashmir(Zeppelin) and Scheherazade, this year Muse and Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich.    Too much fun.

I LOVED sitting with the Haltom group.   They have the right color!    In fact, that's what I'm remembering the most....the fact that Haltom, Plano East, Marcus, Flower Mound and Westwood fans were all cheering for each other's bands.   I thought all the bands were outstanding.      

I'm passing on your comments to our Facebook page.....I think they're going to LOVE that you wanted them to win 1st!

This might be too much to ask, but do you possibly have a video recording of the whole show? Half of our band left right before you guys performed, and honestly I think a LOT of people would LOVE to see your show again. I tried finding it on YouTube, but it's only a video of y'all's rehearsal. I don't know if your band allows you to post your show online (some bands don't do it) but I think it would be awesome if the full show was posted to YouTube or somewhere else.

Prelims Results:

Rank) Band--music 1, music 2, music 2, marching 1, marching 2, (composite)

1) Marcus--2, 1, 1, 1, 2 (7)

2) Hebron--1, 2, 3, 2, 1 (9)

3) Plano East--8, 3, 2, 4, 4 (21)

4) Haltom--3, 6, 4, 3, 7 (23)

5) Flower Mound--7, 4, 5, 7, 3 (26)

6) Richland--4, 7, 6, 5, 6 (27)

7) Stephen F. Austin--9, 5, 10, 6, 8 (38)

8) Westwood--5, 11, 13, 11, 5 (45)

9) McKinney Boyd--6, 8, 12, 8, 18 (52)*

10) Trinity--11, 9, 7, 14, 11 (52)*

*Tie broken by higher music score

Interesting things to note:

Hebron and Marcus were really close.

Plano East, Haltom, Flower Mound, and Richland probably could have changed order entirely if there was a finals.

There is a huge drop-off after 6th place (Richland).

Trinity and McKinney Boyd tied--largely because of the inconsistency between the two marching judges.

Judges:

Music 1: McAdow

Music 2: Chambers

Music 3: Watkins

Marching 1: Brashear

Marching 2: Harloff

Prelims Results:

Rank) Band--music 1, music 2, music 2, marching 1, marching 2, (composite)

1) Marcus--2, 1, 1, 1, 2 (7)

2) Hebron--1, 2, 3, 2, 1 (9)

3) Plano East--8, 2, 3, 4, 4 (21)

4) Haltom--3, 6, 4, 3, 7 (23)

5) Flower Mound--7, 4, 5, 7, 3 (26)

6) Richland--4, 7, 6, 5, 6 (27)

7) Stephen F. Austin--9, 5, 10, 6, 8 (38)

8) Westwood--5, 11, 13, 11, 5 (45)

9) McKinney Boyd--6, 8, 12, 8, 18 (52)*

10) Trinity--11, 9, 7, 14, 11 (52)*

*Tie broken by higher music score

Interesting things to note:

Hebron and Marcus were really close.

Plano East, Haltom, Flower Mound, and Richland probably could have changed order entirely if there was a finals.

There is a huge drop-off after 6th place (Richland).

Trinity and McKinney Boyd tied--largely because of the inconsistency between the two marching judges.

Judges:

Music 1: McAdow

Music 2: Chambers

Music 3: Watkins

Marching 1: Brashear

Marching 2: Harloff

Did music judges 2 and 3 give hebron and plano east the same rankings?