Favorite shows this year

So State is in full swing and pretty much everyone has taken the field in competition at some point or another now....What are some of your favorite shows that you've seen? Posting videos is encouraged

Posting your own school's show is tacky.

Hiding your school info in your profile and then posting your school's show is even more tacky -_-

I'll start:

Cedar Ridge -

Friendswood -

(not the best quality video...definitely going to want to watch in 720p. The bit from "Last of the Mohicans" is really cool!)

Clear Falls -

(I love the way they filmed and edited this video...I wish more videos had this)

The Woodlands -

Argyle - Mr. Lemish (Argyle director) posted a very good video of Argyle that someone linked to....but the video had originally been set to private so I don't think he meant for all of us who saw it to see it. He has since taken it down and there are currently no others on Youtube to link to. Hopefully there will be one soon. It's an awesome show! TxB thread discussing Argyle's show

Favorites would be:

CTJ: I was bit nervous when someone told me they opened with coldplay, cause I tend to not have high hopes for marching shows with an arrangement of a radio hit, but man, that show was impressive! They really nailed their drill and sound amazing!

Marcus: It may not be the most flashy show, but it just sounds pristine! The are so clean that I get shivers on my neck any time i watch them.

Westlake: Probably my favorite show this year. They have energy and beautiful playing. I've been following them throughout the season and they keep getting better, both musically and marching! Its entertaining, fun, and emotional. From tuba to piccolo trumpet, they sound amazing. I was surprised they weren't higher in musical general effect and music ensemble at BOA SA.

Woodlands: I love their theme and music. It just really tells a great, sad story. I do have to say though, their marching did make me cringe... I was quite disappointed with drill execution. If only that was as good as their playing, they could really wreck some shop.

Bowie: Everyone does the planets, but I've never seen someone do them like Bowie. Its amazing!

EDIT: Oh, and Cedar Ridge, mostly because of the bass drop

EDIT2: And sorry, I am a Westlake Alum... so yes, there is a bias.... :-)

Edited by Morcks

Bowie (I really think this can win tomorrow)

Hebron (If they nail it tomorrow, they'll be in the medal hunt)

The Woodlands (goose bumps. Tears. Etc. They sound magnificent.)

Flower Mound (I hate that they can't perform this tomorrow, but such is life with these area alignments. They definitely went out on a high note.)

Plano East (really pulling for them to make Finals tomorrow)

Coppell (Wagner is such a perfect fit for them that I'm shocked no one thought of it sooner)

Cedar Park (high octane awesomeness as always)

Friendswood (I wanted to see this in BOA SA Finals, but the competition was so intense. This could have medaled at 4A State if that had happened this year.)

North Mesquite (sentimental choice because it was nice to see a hometown band have such a great year. Still, the Evanescence/Barber mash-up was surprisingly awesome.)

Bowie (I really think this can win tomorrow)

Hebron (If they nail it tomorrow, they'll be in the medal hunt)

The Woodlands (goose bumps. Tears. Etc. They sound magnificent.)

Flower Mound (I hate that they can't perform this tomorrow, but such is life with these area alignments. They definitely went out on a high note.)

Plano East (really pulling for them to make Finals tomorrow)

Coppell (Wagner is such a perfect fit for them that I'm shocked no one thought of it sooner)

Cedar Park (high octane awesomeness as always)

Friendswood (I wanted to see this in BOA SA Finals, but the competition was so intense. This could have medaled at 4A State if that had happened this year.)

North Mesquite (sentimental choice because it was nice to see a hometown band have such a great year. Still, the Evanescence/Barber mash-up was surprisingly awesome.)

Friendswood's show from the Dickinson Marching Contest - not their best performance but was the best show I have ever heard come out of Friendswood. Very well designed and executed.

- I really loved Marcus -- those gates and the emulation of them throughout the band was SO EFFECTIVE. Amanda Drinkwater is the best kind of crazy, I'm telling you.

- I absolutely loved Johnson's show. Man oh man was that awesome to see live again.

- I loved every bit of bassoon that I heard this year, especially Round Rock's.

- Flower Mound! I didn't really think it was cute so much as just a lot of fun to watch.

- Plano East and their bells...I'd been thinking about how cool it would be to have handbells going on in a marching band show and then what does the Plano East guard do but break out the handbells.

My favorite moments from shows...when a line in Marcus's brass opens like a gate and the rest of the block starts marching through. Westlake's drunken trumpet solos. Leander's drums. All the bassoons. Flower Mound's BANG! flag and the random small ensemble band playing. Round Rock's gock blocks (Hey, that rhymed!) and then their first big hit.

Favorites would be:

Woodlands: I love their theme and music. It just really tells a great, sad story. I do have to say though, their marching did make me cringe... I was quite disappointed with drill execution. If only that was as good as their playing, they could really wreck some shop.

I loved TW's music. I was a little disappointed at first with their marching, but that's mostly because I was comparing them to Marcus. Then again, when I saw them in finals, I thought they were pretty clearly one of the two cleanest groups of the night. They were in fact first place in ensemble visual performance (i.e. drill execution) in finals with a very high score of 19.20. (And remember, they tied Marcus for the overall visual caption in finals). They were second place in ensemble visual performance in prelims. Apparently neither ensemble visual judge saw the dirt we saw (or perhaps imagined).

Anyway, my two favorite TX shows of the season are definitely Marcus and The Woodlands. I'm a big music guy, and I think of all the bands I heard at BOA SA, those two were clearly the best. I'd be shocked if Marcus doesn't 4-peat tomorrow (today?) at 5A UIL State, and The Woodlands should comfortably place in the top 5, with a strong shot at a medal. I'm also excited to see Bowie's final product. I haven't seen them in forever!

I really like Fredericksburg's Angels in the Architecture show in 3A.

haha, Dan, considering you've seen more shows this season than practically everyone here I figured you'd've posted a much bigger list....But I guess that must say a lot about Fredricksburg's show ^_^

My favorites have to be

Westlake

Berkner

Marcus

The Woodlands

Flower Mound

I am sure there is more I can't think of.

Westlake's performance from Areq D prelims is at

. Skip to 4:50 (there's a link in the description) to see the show and skip the entry and assembly of the grand staircase.

Back when I first saw Marcus' show, and mind you, they only had 6 minutes on the field, I knew it would be "the" show to beat...aka no one would beat it. lol After finishing 3rd at BOA SA last year, their show this year was their statement that they would not be finishing 3rd again this year...anywhere! While I'm not a "giant" props fan, I love their gates. I love the way they're used in the show. Mostly, though, it's the music. They capture your attention from the first note and captivate you with their sound for the rest. Their class-act behavior at competitions only adds to my admiration for them. Congrats to them for finishing first & for putting it all on the field every single time they performed. A-mazing!

Edited by TXMarchingMadness87654

Cedar Park - Celebracion - a perfect show in a non-state year for them to "celebrate" their state championship from last year. Still vintage CP moments, but with a bit lighter touch. You can never argue with La Fiesta Mexicana. Also those trumpets in Adios Nonino. Wow.

Plano East - real handbells on the field! Just lovely sounds all around. Great soloists.

Spring- the tents didn't bother me at all. I loved it! Great guard, too!!

Bowie- jaw droppingly great moments. Ridiculous hard drill, face melting chords, gorgeous opening statement on the Great Gate of Kiev! And, who puts Fetes by Debussy on the marching field? Bowie, because they have the WW's to pull it off. When they turned around at the end during Jupiter with those purple LEDs glowing, what a moment!

Reagan - so many lovely vintage Reagan moments!! They march so well! They create such beauty from negative space. The tradional vs. LED plume clarinet battle is very well done. Plus, the double tonguing trumpets near the end are great!

Westlake- The power!!! I've never heard Westlake play with such raw beautiful power before! The woodwinds are a technical marvel and make Festive Overture sound easy. It is one of my favorite pieces, so it's recapitulation as a waltz following the tradional had me grinning! Drunken trumpet player- you are my hero, sir! Those notes!!! Not to mention the drunken band marching was inspired!

Flower Mound- glad they had their moment at BOA San Antonio! The circus band was such a highlight. They play nearly as well as their fellow Lewisville ISD schools.

Hendrickson - Dr. Atomic - they handled Salvation is Created amazingly.

Leander- the Ritual - nice departure from their traditional method and it paid off!

Lastly, CTJ's Eve is now one of my favorite shows off all time! From the cool trees, stunning marching and body movement, beautiful oboe soloist, outstanding guard work, amazing wall of sounds, and of course, the mesmerizing control of Polovtsian Dances everything was just beautiful. I had the privilege of seeing it 4 times in person this season and every time I was left with goosebumps long after the end. Thank you CTJ for giving me a marching band memory I'll never forget.

Congrats to everyone on such amazing seasons!! Every year, I am astounded anew by the incredible talent here in the Lone Star State and I am so thankful we get to experience it each fall!

God Bless Texas!!

EDIT: Also, including Westwood. A combination of Scheherezade, Kashmir, and Uninvited = awesome!

Edited by jmj

And then I saw Broken Arrow. WOW. It's Bell 2006 + Tarpon 2010 on the creepiness and disturbing level. Gas masks, smoke machine, people dragging each other, dying, bomb sirens, creepy singing in the field entrance, and imagine LD Bell's guardians from this year gone evil and taken to a whole other level. This sounds really extreme and like it would be too much, but it's PERFECT. As Daniel said on the blog, it's got the GE level of a broadway show and they don't let you go from when they enter the field to when they exit. And they sound just as amazing as how amazing their show design is. They know how to sell a show.

Bowie- jaw droppingly great moments. Ridiculous hard drill, face melting chords, gorgeous opening statement on the Great Gate of Kiev! And, who puts Fetes by Debussy on the marching field? Bowie, because they have the WW's to pull it off. When they turned around at the end during Jupiter with those purple LEDs glowing, what a moment!

Dawson high school did Fetes as well this year in their show!