BOA San Antonio - Finals Ordinal Breakdown

Awesome work! I love this kind of stuff.

CTJ got 4th and 14th (last???) from the MGE judges???

Round Rock 4th and 13th from the MGE judges??

LD Bell some very consistent judging all across the board.

If CTJ's 14th MGE judge would have had them in 10th, they would have ended up in 3rd place overall, ahead of Bell.

Music GE judge 1 definitely has me scratching my head. CTJ in last place? What? How is that possible? And The Woodlands in 6th place in music GE? Really? He definitely did his part to contribute to the ridiculous score gaps at the top we saw in finals. For what it's worth, here are the prelims results for the top 20, where the score gaps were more reasonable (note how Spring dropped a bit in finals):

1) 95.20 Marcus

2) 94.00 The Woodlands

3) 92.50 LD Bell

4) 92.20 Claudia Taylor Johnson

5) 89.95 Cedar Park

6) 89.15 Hebron

7) 88.55 Spring

8) 88.30 Ronald Reagan

9) 88.20 Round Rock

10) 86.85 Flower Mound

11) 86.75 Westlake

12) 86.60 Richland

13) 86.50 Leander

14) 86.45 Plano East Senior

15) 85.85 Vandegrift

16) 84.25 Winston Churchill

17) 84.10 Keller

18) 83.50 Berkner

19) 82.60 The Woodlands College Park

20) 82.10 Pflugerville

As I've said before, I could see how CTJ would be divisive. I'm frankly not surprised that they pulled in a 4th and a 14th in the same category. I think their ordinals will be all over the map on Tuesday.

At the same time, I think 6th for TW in Music GE is almost indefensible!

As I've said before, I could see how CTJ would be divisive. I'm frankly not surprised that they pulled in a 4th and a 14th in the same category. I think their ordinals will be all over the map on Tuesday.

At the same time, I think 6th for TW in Music GE is almost indefensible!

I honestly don't see how CTJ could be that divisive in music GE. Heck, both music GE judges in prelims had them 3rd, and they performed on the 1st day! It looks like a music GE placement in the top 5 was the consensus for them. It really wasn't all over the map. That's why John Phillips' placement of them seems extremely bizarre. Strangely enough, John Phillips happens to be DCI's chief judge administrator. Doesn't he help train a lot of the other judges?

I honestly don't see how CTJ could be that divisive in music GE. Heck, both music GE judges in prelims had them 3rd, and they performed on the 1st day! It looks like a music GE placement in the top 5 was the consensus for them. It really wasn't all over the map. That's why John Phillips' placement of them seems extremely bizarre. Strangely enough, John Phillips happens to be DCI's chief judge administrator. Doesn't he help train a lot of the other judges?

The reason I could see them getting nailed in Music GE is programming issues. They play so much different music, and one could argue that there isn't much of a thought line running through it. To an extent there is the "paradise" theme going on, but what does "School for Scandal" have to do with that? That is one moment in the show where I started to wonder where things were going, and I never got much of an answer. The musical book comes across as a bit of a hodgepodge. I didn't have a huge problem with it, but I can see how someone would.

Edited by Donezo

The reason I could see them getting nailed in Music GE is programming issues. They play so much different music, and one could argue that there isn't much of a thought line running through it. To an extent there is the "paradise" theme going on, but what does "School for Scandal" have to do with that? That is one moment in the show where I started to wonder where things were going, and I never got much of an answer. The musical book comes across as a bit of a hodgepodge. I didn't have a huge problem with it, but I can see how someone would.

Isn't this the idea that everyone hates about BOA? A band shouldn't get dead last because of their show theme (just like they shouldn't get first for having a show full of props and GE), rather they should be graded on how the show is played and how the students contribute to GE. Their show is so dynamic and engaging, not because of how it's written, but because the kids played it so well and emotionally. While music design is important, it shouldn't directly make or break a band.

Edited by whitewing09

Isn't this the idea that everyone hates about BOA? A band shouldn't get dead last because of their show theme (just like they shouldn't get first for having a show full of props and GE), rather they should be graded on how the show is played and how the students contribute to GE. Their show is so dynamic and engaging, not because of how it's written, but because the kids played it so well and emotionally. While music design is important, it shouldn't directly make or break a band.

It is indeed the idea that I dislike most about BOA! But it's also the only way that I can justify a 14th place Music GE ranking for CTJ. Or many he was just in a bad mood when they were out. Who knows!

Neither should a band be marked off for capes on their uniform because the judge couldn't see the marching clearly at UIL.... Just saying

Awesome work! I love this kind of stuff.

CTJ got 4th and 14th (last???) from the MGE judges???

Round Rock 4th and 13th from the MGE judges??

LD Bell some very consistent judging all across the board.

If CTJ's 14th MGE judge would have had them in 10th, they would have ended up in 3rd place overall, ahead of Bell.

CTJ was the most obvious for me and the other really odd separation was Hebron at 3rd for overall music and 13th in Music GE. I've obviously seen the Area B bands many times now but really? I thought they had one of the more effective musical presentations of the night. Anytime you see Hebron, Marcus, Bell, Woodlands, and maybe a couple others, you leave with one conclusion--they can play.

It's all irrelavant at this point--just look at the final GE rankings, which is the last column on the right. The final overall rankings (except for Reagan) almost mirror the GE results. For me, GE simply has too much weight and mutes the value of the performances.

CTJ was the most obvious for me and the other really odd separation was Hebron at 3rd for overall music and 13th in Music GE. I've obviously seen the Area B bands many times now but really? I thought they had one of the more effective musical presentations of the night. Anytime you see Hebron, Marcus, Bell, Woodlands, and maybe a couple others, you leave with one conclusion--they can play.

It's all irrelavant at this point--just look at the final GE rankings, which is the last column on the right. The final overall rankings (except for Reagan) almost mirror the GE results. For me, GE simply has too much weight and mutes the value of the performances.

Amen, I think it should be 60% on the performance captions/40% on the GE captions instead of the other way around, but what can you do?

Amen, I think it should be 60% on the performance captions/40% on the GE captions instead of the other way around, but what can you do?

Every contest has a different scoring system, and you just have to kind of go with the flow. I know we've had instances in the past where we actually took captions for music and visual and didn't place in the top three because of the GE score. It happens. In the end, you just have to be proud of the job you did and accept that the numbers didn't come out in your favor that time.

Hey, Dans, we couldn't make the trip down to SA this week, but we had the contest live streaming on our son's tv and your live blog going on another laptop. (What did we do before all this technology?! :D ) Thank you so much for providing this great website and blog for those of us who aren't there for the live action. Love it.

Watching all the bands was such a treat. What is so amazing is all these talented bands and hard-working kids converging in one place at one time! Amazing stuff.

Hey, Dans, we couldn't make the trip down to SA this week, but we had the contest live streaming on our son's tv and your live blog going on another laptop. (What did we do before all this technology?! :D ) Thank you so much for providing this great website and blog for those of us who aren't there for the live action. Love it.

Our pleasure! We're not done yet! Look for us Monday and Tuesday at State!

I think "School for Scandal" really fits in with the program -- think of the storyline of the show. You've got Eve in Paradise (the Coldplay and Polovtsian Dances in the opening movements) and then suddenly, everything goes wrong. You know the story of Adam and Eve. She accepts the apple from the snake and God finds out and kicks them out of Eden. It's a bit of a scandal when that happens -- hence the School for Scandal. Plus, it adds a lot of darkness to the show. At the end, when the music gets lighter, Eve's been forgiven (at least a little bit), and Polovtsian Dances and Paradise return.

I think "School for Scandal" really fits in with the program -- think of the storyline of the show. You've got Eve in Paradise (the Coldplay and Polovtsian Dances in the opening movements) and then suddenly, everything goes wrong. You know the story of Adam and Eve. She accepts the apple from the snake and God finds out and kicks them out of Eden. It's a bit of a scandal when that happens -- hence the School for Scandal. Plus, it adds a lot of darkness to the show. At the end, when the music gets lighter, Eve's been forgiven (at least a little bit), and Polovtsian Dances and Paradise return.

That was exactly my take on it too.

I was really surprised by the rankings of the bands I highlighted above. Did the judges not like something that was done? The execution seemed very high for all of them...

There were a lot of good bands, so getting a ranking of 30/62 is actually a pretty good spot. BOA SA is a gathering of many of the best bands in (and out) of Texas. So Hendrickson, Anderson and all the other bands around their spot are still very good bands, but the judges must have thought a few other bands did just a bit better.

There were a lot of good bands, so getting a ranking of 30/62 is actually a pretty good spot. BOA SA is a gathering of many of the best bands in (and out) of Texas. So Hendrickson, Anderson and all the other bands around their spot are still very good bands, but the judges must have thought a few other bands did just a bit better.

Yeah, but if I were a member of the Anderson band, I'd be scratching my head. I thought that after making 5th at BOA St. Louis, surely they'd be closer to making finals at San Antonio, even with a more competitive group of bands in SA and other variables at play (different judges, could have had an off run, etc.) I guess that shows that sometimes you really cannot base future results on past results.

Yeah, but if I were a member of the Anderson band, I'd be scratching my head. I thought that after making 5th at BOA St. Louis, surely they'd be closer to making finals at San Antonio, even with a more competitive group of bands in SA and other variables at play (different judges, could have had an off run, etc.) I guess that shows that sometimes you really cannot base future results on past results.

BOA results for bands also seem to grow positively and linearly throughout a season, so seeing them drop 5 points or so over two weeks was an unexpected result I'm sure. I agree that the competition at this regional was tougher, but I still expected a finals placement out of them.