2012 5A State Marching Contest

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here are your judges that have to make this call.....

I don't like the idea of out of state judges coming in for a UIL event, but if this is good enough for the UIL than it's good enough for me

Keath Bearden, Professor Emeritus - Texas Tech University

Caroline Beatty, Director of Bands - Texas State University

Thomas Caneva, Director of Bands - Ball State University, Muncie, IN

David Clemmer, Doctoral Candidate - University of Missouri-Kansas City

Andre Feagin, Director of Athletic Bands - University of Texas-El Paso

James Hudson, Director of Athletic Bands - Arizona State University

James Keene, Professor Emeritus - University of Illinois-Champaign

Monte Mast, Director of Fine Arts - Klein ISD

Tom Shine, Director of Bands, Retired - Duncanville High School

Steve Wessels, Director of Bands - Cedar Park High School

Edited by TxRaider13

It's interesting to note that in the past, some unpredicted finalists typically come from the last block of prelims: Bowie and Clements in 2004, Akins in 2006, Westlake in 2008, Westlake again in 2010.

Great point and very fortuitous for LD Bell this year. That 5:15 pm prelim time may be their ticket to the finals where otherwise it was going to be close. Very strange to see Marcus play so early at 9:30 am.

Very strange to see Marcus play so early at 9:30 am.

I remember watching Marcus' Fowl Play show at BOA San Antonio at like 7am being the first ones on the field on Saturday. The birds that were living in the stadium thought that the chirping samples during the pit setup were some of their friends.

What's the word on Langham Creek? I usually have them in finals for state but haven't heard anything about them this year. 8am time slot doesn't help either

Still a solid program, but they haven't been top tier since Scott McAdow left. They've been in the mix for the past couple of State cycles, but they haven't made State Finals since 2006. There's still a lot of talent there, so who knows. The early performance time doesn't help.

Still a solid program, but they haven't been top tier since Scott McAdow left. They've been in the mix for the past couple of State cycles, but they haven't made State Finals since 2006. There's still a lot of talent there, so who knows. The early performance time doesn't help.

with that being said I now have 14 bands to finals and need to trim it down some more

LED Boards and Fog Machine.....holy crap that is SO freaking cool. They definitely broke the mold on the whole "weather" show concept.

But their visual still could use some love, and the muddy drill design is going to hurt them at BOA especially. I doubt top 5 at either (since the competition is so stiff), but definitely likely finalist.

Don't let their literal smoke and mirrors (however awesome :D) distract you from the performance aspects of the show

Berkner has cleaned a TON since then. That was two weeks ago; multiple changes to drill design and to music parts have been changed.

Regarding the recent drill changes, there is a video of Berkner marching at Area C Finals, though it's split into two parts and is at a bad angle. Worst of all, it doesn't even start at the actual beginning; I suggest watching the previously posted video (Link:

up until 1:23, then switching over to part one of the Area C finals (
) and then going to part 2 (
).

Regarding their entrance to the field, it's got to be a bit difficult for those on the front sideline to get to their first sets with all the setup going on. Regardless, that isn't a judgeable part of the show.

I have seen a lot of shows so I am going to dare to say neither has ever been done. Their lows scores at Denton must have PUSHED them. I bet this will be a top 5 at state and the Super Regional.

Actually, the reason why we didn't decide to use these at Denton was due to heavy rain, and we didn't want the electronics to malfunction. Granted they did malfunction during prelims and the end of finals at Area. Our director actually decided to shut them off when they started to malfunction, but you're right though, placing 11th at Denton was a huge push for us, and you can bet we'll be alive and kicking come BOA: SA and State.

If it helps to my credibility, I'm in the band.

And here are your judges that have to make this call.....

I don't like the idea of out of state judges coming in for a UIL event, but if this is good enough for the UIL than it's good enough for me

Keath Bearden, Professor Emeritus - Texas Tech University

Caroline Beatty, Director of Bands - Texas State University

Thomas Caneva, Director of Bands - Ball State University, Muncie, IN

David Clemmer, Doctoral Candidate - University of Missouri-Kansas City

Andre Feagin, Director of Athletic Bands - University of Texas-El Paso

James Hudson, Director of Athletic Bands - Arizona State University

James Keene, Professor Emeritus - University of Illinois-Champaign

Monte Mast, Director of Fine Arts - Klein ISD

Tom Shine, Director of Bands, Retired - Duncanville High School

Steve Wessels, Director of Bands - Cedar Park High School

Wow, what a great judging panel! As for some of the out of state judges, I can personally vouch for Mr. James Keene. Although I am now an alum, graduating high school earlier this year, I can still remember clearly all the great times I had when Mr. Keene would come to clinic our band, especially before we went to the national concert band festival. Mr. Keene is a highly intelligent man, and I 100% respect and trust his expertise in music (I'm just guessing he will be a music judge, but whatever the case, you can trust this man's word).

What's the word on Langham Creek? I usually have them in finals for state but haven't heard anything about them this year. 8am time slot doesn't help either

Yeah. They would be an awesome band to see make a return to finals. It's been a while. I wonder how many people still realize how good they actually are. Such a high quality program. I do hope to see them back in finals someday. They're good enough for sure, but BOA San Antonio and State are just so much more packed nowadays (which is of course a good thing and a bad thing at the same time).

In my opinion, we sould all consider Berkner a darkhorse, or a reallllllllly large contender for a top five spot at BOA SA, and State. From what i saw at Area, they have changed their show, making the drill much cleaner, and easier to read.

They changed that, so who knows what they have in store next week. But, they definitely are a conteneder for a top five spot at both events.

In addition to their drill being cleaner, their General Effects and music are spectacular.

In my opinion, we sould all consider Berkner a darkhorse, or a reallllllllly large contender for a top five spot at BOA SA, and State. From what i saw at Area, they have changed their show, making the drill much cleaner, and easier to read.

They changed that, so who knows what they have in store next week. But, they definitely are a conteneder for a top five spot at both events.

In addition to their drill being cleaner, their General Effects and music are spectacular.

of course you would think that you a current member of the Berkner band, it is great to hear that the band is confident

Edited by rtrezza

of course you would think that you a current member of the Berkner band, it is great to hear that the band is confident

I can't see what makes you think Sousapwn is a member of the Berkner Band. He or she may very well be, but I just can't fin anything that indicates it.

But we are confident; our 1st place at Area gave us a lot of confidence, although the leaders (myself included) are trying to prevent underclassmen from "resting on our laurels," so to speak. We are confident, but we have a lot of work to do this week.

I dont go to Berkner, but i saw their show on Saturday. With a little cleaning, that show could be 100% completely mind blowing. More than it already is. You would have to experience it in person to get the real effect of it.

I dont go to Berkner, but i saw their show on Saturday. With a little cleaning, that show could be 100% completely mind blowing. More than it already is. You would have to experience it in person to get the real effect of it.

i also saw Berkners show in both prelims and finals, i guess im just not as amazed with it, i thought it was really cool but i dont think they will be in the top 5 I think 6-10

just a question what did you think of the other 3 state band from Area C

Well, for starters, Area C is very top heavy.

That being said, Coppell managed to stay the same, very good in both shows.

Rowlett stepped it up in finals, tying berkner for first, but losing in the tiebreaker. I was REALLY impressed.

Duncanville had a spectacular show in prelims, but in my opinion, flopped in finals.

All four Area C bands are strong, but of the four, the one id choose for top five contention at BOA, and State again is Berkner. For a spot in the 6-10 range, Rowlett, or even Duncanville, if they become a little more consistent witht their execution.

Well, for starters, Area C is very top heavy.

That being said, Coppell managed to stay the same, very good in both shows.

Rowlett stepped it up in finals, tying berkner for first, but losing in the tiebreaker. I was REALLY impressed.

Duncanville had a spectacular show in prelims, but in my opinion, flopped in finals.

All four Area C bands are strong, but of the four, the one id choose for top five contention at BOA, and State again is Berkner. For a spot in the 6-10 range, Rowlett, or even Duncanville, if they become a little more consistent witht their execution.

i agree with with everything you said as a Rowlett Alumi i hope that they will make state finals for the first time in the schools short history