2012 5A State Marching Contest

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to think through predictions, but it's HARD. If you had told me going into Saturday that Duncanville and LD Bell would both finish 4th at Area, I would probably have laughed at you. I think we're due for a fairly crazy State Marching Contest. Here is how I see the finals picture.

Locked barring catastrophe:

Marcus

Bowie

I think they're in?? But I don't know....

The Woodlands

Hebron

LD Bell

Duncanville

Coppell

Throw darts at a board and pick three of these:

Johnson

Reagan

Plano East

Berkner

Westlake

Spring

Rowlett

Richland

Pearland

Keller

Long shots, but stranger things have happened:

Harlingen

Lake Travis

Hendrickson

Langham Creek

Clear Lake

Brazoswood

Clements

I've been trying to think through predictions, but it's HARD. If you had told me going into Saturday that Duncanville and LD Bell would both finish 4th at Area, I would probably have laughed at you. I think we're due for a fairly crazy State Marching Contest. Here is how I see the finals picture.

Locked barring catastrophe:

Marcus

Bowie

I think they're in?? But I don't know....

The Woodlands

Hebron

LD Bell

Duncanville

Coppell

Throw darts at a board and pick three of these:

Johnson

Reagan

Plano East

Berkner

Westlake

Spring

Rowlett

Richland

Pearland

Keller

Long shots, but stranger things have happened:

Harlingen

Lake Travis

Hendrickson

Langham Creek

Clear Lake

Brazoswood

Clements

I would not hesitate to include The Woodlands, CTJ, Hebron, Duncanville, and LD Bell. TW has had an undoubtedly great season so far, barring catastrophe I have them in top 3 with a good chance at winning. LD Bell had a bad showing at area (considering it is LDB we are talking about) but I think they will be in finals, no idea how they are going to rank though. Duncanville hasn't missed top 3 in what? 8 years? They were first in prelims at their area so it may have just been a bad finals run. Will they medal? I don't know, but they'll be up there nonetheless. CTJ is good, no doubt, and they're only getting better. It would be HUGE if they missed. Hebron has had a great season so far, state finals worthy. I would be both surprised and disappointed if Reagan missed finals but this has been a weird UIL season so it could happen.

Finalists *In my opinion*

(Random order)

The Woodlands

Marcus

Bowie

LD Bell

Duncanville

Hebron

CTJ

Reagan (Hopefully)(Favorite Reagan show in years)

PESH

Spring/Berkner/Westlake/Richland (I think they could all be the 10th finalist, and yes the list is in random order)

The reason I didn't list TW as an absolute lock is that they tend to be a bit hit or miss at State (2006 comes to mind.) They're also a group that tends to split panels at State. Regardless, I think they're in and probably top 5. Bell and Duncanville are probably in too, but again, I hesitate to call many groups locks.

Johnson is an odd case to me. They're very good, but I think they're going to be divisive. I can see some more conservative types lowballing them big time in prelims.

Edited by Donezo

The reason I didn't list TW as an absolute lock is that they tend to be a bit hit or miss at State (2006 comes to mind.) They're also a group that tends to split panels at State. Regardless, I think they're in and probably top 5. Bell and Duncanville are probably in too, but again, I hesitate to call many groups locks.

Johnson is an odd case to me. They're very good, but I think they're going to be divisive. I can see some more conservative types lowballing them big time in prelims.

I can agree about Johnson, their show this year is a great BOA show, not quite about the precision marching and perfectionist music that UIL goes crazy about, nevertheless I see them in top 6. And 2006 TW certainly was... interesting as far as contest results from that season

I would not hesitate to include The Woodlands, CTJ, Hebron, Duncanville, and LD Bell. TW has had an undoubtedly great season so far, barring catastrophe I have them in top 3 with a good chance at winning. LD Bell had a bad showing at area (considering it is LDB we are talking about) but I think they will be in finals, no idea how they are going to rank though. Duncanville hasn't missed top 3 in what? 8 years? They were first in prelims at their area so it may have just been a bad finals run. Will they medal? I don't know, but they'll be up there nonetheless. CTJ is good, no doubt, and they're only getting better. It would be HUGE if they missed. Hebron has had a great season so far, state finals worthy. I would be both surprised and disappointed if Reagan missed finals but this has been a weird UIL season so it could happen.

Finalists *In my opinion*

(Random order)

The Woodlands

Marcus

Bowie

LD Bell

Duncanville

Hebron

CTJ

Reagan (Hopefully)(Favorite Reagan show in years)

PESH

Spring/Berkner/Westlake/Richland (I think they could all be the 10th finalist, and yes the list is in random order)

I'd give Westlake that last spot. Their music this year is not only difficult, but INCREDIBLY well performed. Additionally, they always seem to make their way into finals.

I can agree about Johnson, their show this year is a great BOA show, not quite about the precision marching and perfectionist music that UIL goes crazy about, nevertheless I see them in top 6. And 2006 TW certainly was... interesting as far as contest results from that season

Let me just say this: I saw them perform last Friday the night before area contest without any of the trees. Let's just say it was revealing.

Let me just say this: I saw them perform last Friday the night before area contest without any of the trees. Let's just say it was revealing.

Revealing in a good way or a bad way?

EDIT: Here is the list of participating bands

Keller

El Paso Coronado

Keller Central

Fossil Ridge

Marcus

Hebron

Plano East

LD Bell

Richland

Duncanville

Coppell

Berkner

Rowlett

Bowie

CT Johnson

Reagan

Westlake

Lake Travis

Hendrickson

Clements

Langham Creek

Seven Lakes

Cy Fair

Spring

Pearland

The Woodlands

Brazoswood

Clear Brook

Dickinson

Clear Lake

United

Hanna

Harlingen

Harlingen South

Donna

San Benito

Lopez

O'Connor

38 Bands for 10 finals spots

Edited by Nosagi

Bands in medal contention:

Marcus (likely winner)

James Bowie

The Woodlands

Duncanville

Other bands in finals:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Coppell

Hebron

Ronald Reagan

L.D. Bell

Spring

If I'm being honest with myself, there's a good chance L.D. Bell won't even make finals. Based on the music performance I heard through the St. Louis webcast, the sounds they produced simply weren't at the level of a typical UIL state finalist. Maybe things have changed. I'm really interested to see where they end up.

Bands in medal contention:

Marcus (likely winner)

James Bowie

The Woodlands

Duncanville

Other bands in finals:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Coppell

Hebron

Ronald Reagan

L.D. Bell

Spring

If I'm being honest with myself, there's a good chance L.D. Bell won't even make finals. Based on the music performance I heard through the St. Louis webcast, the sounds they produced simply weren't at the level of a typical UIL state finalist. Maybe things have changed. I'm really interested to see where they end up.

I think it is worth noting that Berkner beat Coppell in finals and prelims-- I feel that BOA Denton is a bad representation of Berkner after all. Although it was one competition. I think this will just be a very odd state year. Methinks that locks are: The Woodlands, Marcus, James Bowie, Duncanville

Top Bubble: J.V. Berkner, Hebron, Coppell, Claudia Taylor Johnson

Bottom Bubble: Westlake, Ronald Reagan, LD Bell, Plano East Senior, Rowlett, Spring

That is kind of the order I predict too...

Edited by T.Stechnij

Can anyone (maybe Sanchez) give us an honest opinion on Duncanville? They are absolutely phenomenal in State years, but in 2009 and 2011 they were a huge notch below what you see in even numbered years. I watched a video of their DMI exhibition from last year and they sounded a little ragged. Are they doing better this season? I haven't caught a video or a performance of them yet.

Rowlett, are we forgetting they beat Coppell in prelims and finals, beat Duncanville in finals, AND tied Berker in finals? (tie breaker went Berkner's way) I would count them in for finals contention.

Rowlett has always frustrated me because they are always up there with Berkner/Coppell/Duncanville at area, but they can never seem to keep the momentum going all the way to State. Let's not forget that they actually won Area C in 2010, but were the only advancing program to miss State Finals. Maybe the Alamodome just isn't kind to them. I would love for this year to be the year that changes that, but I'm skeptical.

Rowlett has always frustrated me because they are always up there with Berkner/Coppell/Duncanville at area, but they can never seem to keep the momentum going all the way to State. Let's not forget that they actually won Area C in 2010, but were the only advancing program to miss State Finals. Maybe the Alamodome just isn't kind to them. I would love for this year to be the year that changes that, but I'm skeptical.

I haven't seen their show this year, just speculation, but could they just be a band that peaks early?

i know that Rowlett has never made finals in the school history so it would be hard to pick a program that has never proven themselves in the Alamodome but im surprised that more predictors are not pick Berkner to make finals

There's always a first time. ;) Correct me if I am wrong, but did Marcus make even state finals before 2006? They won that year as well.

I think the reason for that with Berkner is the the only video out there is from BOA Denton which is nothing like where they are now I suppose.

i know that Rowlett has never made finals in the school history so it would be hard to pick a program that has never proven themselves in the Alamodome but im surprised that more predictors are not pick Berkner to make finals

There's always a first time. ;) Correct me if I am wrong, but did Marcus make even state finals before 2006? They won that year as well.

I think the reason for that with Berkner is the the only video out there is from BOA Denton which is nothing like where they are now I suppose.

that is correct Marcus didnt make state finals until 2006 when they won

here is Berkner most recent video on youtube they definitely changed some things between this and area but this give everyone an idea