Being quiet at football games

sousapwn

Has your band ever been so loud at a football game that the referees tell the coaches to tell the directors to stop playing or risk a penalty?

Haha, that's awesome! My program was never told to shut up, but as a Drum Major, I was yelled at many times to stop the band from playing during an injury. Our Principal actually told us to play more during the first half instead of saving the chops for Halftime.

I'm pretty sure that the Silent Count quarterbacks use in loud environments was created to overcome the loudness of the High School Marching Band. Think back to the mid-20th Century:

Quarterback: Coach!!!!!!!! Those kettledrums are too loud! I cannot even hear my cheerleader girlfriend tell me how swell she thinks I am!!!!!!

Coach: Shut that fife up!!!! My players cannot hear my racist comments about the minorities on the other team!

Referee: I'm going to have to ask the band to tone it down. Musical expression has no place in these hallowed grounds of the gridiron. Scratches Crotch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My program was never told to shut up, but as a Drum Major, I was yelled at many times to stop the band from playing during an injury.

Well, I'm a band nerd married to a high school football player, so here's the lowdown. Yes, the band should either not play or should stop playing when a football player is injured. That's just being respectful and only helps the player get help more quickly. Secondly, the band should definitely play when the other team has the ball, especially if they're right in front of the band. That's just part of the game. There's nothing wrong with being loud and "disrupting" the opposing team. The band should actually NOT play when their own team has the ball, especially if they're in front of the band. It's never a good idea to mess up your own team. The band should never assume that a touchdown has been made and start playing the fight song, until there's a signal that they scored and there's NO flag on the play. I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard bands start playing because they thought the team scored and have to stop in the middle because there was a flag on the play that caused the score to be negated. Can you say...awkward? Our football coach and players LOVE the support they get from our band. The band is, by far, the best "cheer leaders" in or out of the stands!!

On a non-football note: I think it's really disrespectful for a band to start playing when the other band is playing, except in the following cases: Your team has scored and you're playing the fight song, the other band has played one song after another and have not even given your band a chance to play anything, and/or the other band is just messing around with a drum cadence that's lasted forEVER. It's just my opinion, but I find it very rude when a band is playing and the other band just starts blasting away for no good reason. :P

• 2 years later...

At Westwood, it doesn't matter how loud or soft we play- The other team will score, and we will lose our game. Let's be honest. The real reason we're at football games is so we can walk around on the field and practice drill for the competition. We're there for ourselves, not the football team. There are times when we leave during the middle of a game to prepare for a competition the next day. Therefore, the priorities really are 1. Ourselves, 2. the football team. I'm sure it's different in other places especially Allen (I respect you guys), but this is how it is out here.

At Westwood, it doesn't matter how loud or soft we play- The other team will score, and we will lose our game. Let's be honest. The real reason we're at football games is so we can walk around on the field and practice drill for the competition. We're there for ourselves, not the football team. There are times when we leave during the middle of a game to prepare for a competition the next day. Therefore, the priorities really are 1. Ourselves, 2. the football team. I'm sure it's different in other places especially Allen (I respect you guys), but this is how it is out here.

Well, Haltom is playing Southlake Carroll, Euless Trinity, Coppell, LD Bell, and Colleyville Heritage...we certainly understand being on the losing side of things, but this year looks to be even more brutal than usual.

Yes, Haltom band has left in the second half of a game due to leaving for a contest later that evening or the next day. All that being said and regardless of the band's priorities, a band should NOT play when a football player is injured on the field. There are some basic things that, while the band is in the stands, they should and should not do and they are not hard to figure out. 

Now, if only we could figure out how to teach the football players and especially their coaches some basic rules to follow while the BAND is on the field!!! We had some real issues last year with some teams we played, including a "star" quarterback for the other team joking about knocking one of our drum majors off the rolling stand with his football. That is completely unacceptable and I would be embarrassed if our football team did the same!

• 4 weeks later...

Our Marching Band and Football Team respect each other and support each other plus it is kind of retarded to play during an injury since it impairs the responders ability to do what they need to do with that particular injury :3