4a houston area ranking

D-BAG

Based on overall performance (BOA, UIL, invitationals, Concert Band with more emphasis on Marching Band)

1. Stephen F. Austin

2. The Woodlands

3. Spring

4. Clements

5. Hmmm.....I can't pick. Either Langham Creek or Cy-Falls.

This is depressing only because it doesn't hold a candle to the DFW list.

1. The Woodlands

2. SFA

3. Spring

4. Brazoswood

5. Westfield

No offense to SFA, but The Woodlands is truly the better band program. Yes, SFA almost always wins the Houston Regional, but, since 2006, The Woodlands has come out ahead (sometimes FAR ahead) at the San Antonio Super Regional and at Grand Nationals. Also, their concert band program is much more solid. This past year, the SFA varsity ensemble earned a 3 at UIL C&SR. The Woodlands has performed at Midwest, National Concert Band Festival, etc. and almost always (if not always) earns UIL Sweepstakes for all bands. They have also earned both the Sudler Flag and Sudler Shield. I really think that The Woodlands, with the exception of early season, is hands down the best band in Houston right now.

Spring is working its way back up the ladder and has been making finals at State and Regionals, earning itself 3rd on my list. Also numerous Midwest Performance in the past 5 years.

Brazoswood is the big band that never quite makes it. They play and march with the best of them, but there's always that "something" missing that holds them back. A strong 4th.

Westfield's biggest disadvantage is its size. They are very small in comparison to years past. Add school splits, director changes, and all that stuff and this program has undergone quite a bit of restructuring. HOWEVER, they are making significant strides in the quality of their program that make me optimistic about their future and excited about their present performance level.

All of this is just my opinion, of course.

Edited by mellopwn1