Winningest UIL HS marching band in texas

im fairly certain dickinson is up there (if not at the top) in the 4A league as far as appearances at state goes (theyre now 5A last i heard) and the only school i can think of that has more appearances is Duncanville. any Input? i was mostly wondering who has the most Wins at state really.

Duncanville first appeared at SMC in 1979; first placed in finals in 1984; has won three times (1986, 1990, 2002) and has been in the finals every time since 1988.

Duncanville first appeared at SMC in 1979; first placed in finals in 1984; has won three times (1986, 1990, 2002) and has been in the finals every time since 1988.

The State Marching Band Contest was first held in 1983. Congratulations to Duncanville for making their first appearance 4 years before the first SMC took place.

Poteet HS has been to state every eligble year since the school opened around 1990. They made the finals every time but one, and have three golds and several silver and bronze finishes.

Umm Poteet opened in 1988 and didn't make state for the first several years. I went there and we watched the history during the season. The first year they made finals they played The Last Star Fighter. They missed out a few time before than. But none the less still a solid program.

The State Marching Band Contest was first held in 1983. Congratulations to Duncanville for making their first appearance 4 years before the first SMC took place.

The Texas State Marching Band Contest started several years before 1983 but eventually fell under the complete auspices of the UIL in 1983.

I have results and score sheets from the 1981 Texas State Marching Contest which was coordinated by Glenn A. Richter. Included with these results is a memorandum that includes the following:

[...]The ticket limitation is a State U.I.L. rule, and we have no control over this policy. A list of rules and procedures for the State Marching Contest will be published in the Leaguer next fall. [...]

Note: "The Leaguer is the official publication of the University Interscholastic League. The Leaguer is designed for Texas public school administrators, contest directors, coaches and sponsors, the media and for other interested parties."

• 4 weeks later...
The Texas State Marching Band Contest started several years before 1983 but eventually fell under the complete auspices of the UIL in 1983.

I have results and score sheets from the 1981 Texas State Marching Contest which was coordinated by Glenn A. Richter. Included with these results is a memorandum that includes the following:

Note: "The Leaguer is the official publication of the University Interscholastic League. The Leaguer is designed for Texas public school administrators, contest directors, coaches and sponsors, the media and for other interested parties."

Just because records aren't posted on the UIL website does not mean that the contest did not exist. Roundrock HS won the first State Marching Contest in 1979. I was present at Memorial Stadium in Austin for this event. I personally directed a band at the SMC in the fall of 1980.

• 5 months later...

OK... the frist "official" state marching band contest was held in 82-83

also.. if you received a 1st division in your district you went to state. (about 30 bands)

they then marched and gave ratings at the state prelims - Yes, there were bands at state that received a 2 division and 3rd division..then the top 5 were announced and they preformed that evening.

82-83 finals placement.

1) Permian - Odessa

2) Nixion - Lorado

3) Westfield - Spring

4) Robert E. Lee - Midland

5) Crockett - Austin

81-82

1) Crockett - Austin

2) Permian - Odessa

(cant remeber after this)

also I know Austin Crockett placed first in

80-81

That Crockett band was Directed by Paula Crider - who went on to teach at University of Texas

She did NOT let her Sophomores march (she thought they were not good/diciplined enough) - Paula played trumpet and you should hear her trumpets play the William Tell Over... it was Great...

Crockett marched about 80-100 Kids

Permian Marched about 250

Permian was one of the Biggest bands back in the Early 80's.

Also Like D-Ville, Robert E. Lee was at every 5A State Marching band contest 1983-2006

Odessa Permian Band Received a 2nd Division at UIL Marching Contest this year (2011)after 51 years first division 2 in marching in the schools history (since the school opened)

Robert E. Lee - Midland just received their 42nd consecutive 1st Division in Marching

Plainveiw - Plainview Tx just received their 74th consecutive 1st Division in Marching (yes, NOBODY in the state of TEXAS can match that) - at that I am 100% sure of!!!

Edited by pbrotherton1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No, congratulations to you for making an incredibly sarcastic and uninformed post questioning the validity of these facts. If you look at the handle, you can quickly see that this person has 1ST HAND knowledge of the topic!

I guess some of us are just not "young" enough to know everything...

• 4 years later...

The first official UIL State Marching Band Contest was held in 1980. 

Westfield and Marcus are tied for the most 5-A/6-A state titles with five wins each. 

Crockett (Austin), MacArthur (San Antonio), Spring and LD Bell (Hurst) have each won the state championship twice.

Duncanville has won the state marching band contest three times.

Here are the 5-A winners through 2016:

• 1980 - Crockett High School (Austin)
  • 1981 - Crockett High School (Austin)
  • 1982 - Permian High School (Odessa)
  • 1983 - J.W. Nixon High School(Laredo)
  • 1984 - MacArthur High School (San Antonio)
  • 1985 - MacArthur High School (San Antonio)
  • 1986 - Duncanville High School
  • 1987 - Westfield High School (Houston)
  • 1988 - Westfield High School (Houston)
  • 1989 - Westfield High School (Houston)
  • 1990 - Duncanville High School
  • 1992 - Spring High School
  • 1994 - Spring High School
  • 1996 - Westfield High School (Houston)
  • 1998 - Westfield High School (Houston)
  • 2000 - L.D. Bell High School (Hurst)
  • 2002 - Duncanville High School
  • 2004 - L.D. Bell High School (Hurst)
  • 2006 - Marcus High School (Flower Mound)
  • 2008 - Marcus High School (Flower Mound)
  • 2010 - Marcus High School (Flower Mound)
  • 2012 - Marcus High School (Flower Mound)
  • 2014 - Marcus High School (Flower Mound)
  • 2016 - Flower Mound High School