2010 UIL State

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the three predictions above, I see Hebron as 9th, 10th, and on the bubble. What gives? I know the Area B contest was weird (rain delays, no finals, etc.), but seeing as how they were above L.D. Bell, I'd think people would place them higher in predictions.

You would think that, but the state judges do some silly things.

You can't really make very accurate predictions for state using area rankings, especially in areas B & C where the finals round was completely eliminated. Most bands don't "give it their all" during prelims. They go home after performing and have a rehearsal then return with lots of energy for finals. I'm almost entirely certain that the rankings for B & C would be nothing like this if they had finals.

I was just thinking earlier today that UIL should do a webcast of state or something but shrugged it off as something they would never do...Thanks for news Xenon! Made my day as well!

It would probably be a better experience to be there live but my Tuesday schedule would not allow that xD

Edited by Mellophone77

i dont understand why coppell and duncanville are in the top ten but rowlett isnt, they beat both of them?

area C had finals cancelled because of rain. Duncanville especially had a rainy performance that day. In prelims, sometimes bands don't give it their all and they get energized for finals. I am completely sure that if there were finals that day, the same 4 would be going to state but the order would have been different. (Nothing against Rowlett or any other area C band)

Here's how I see State finals shaping up:

1. Marcus

2. Bell

3. Bowie, it's time they medaled. They won Area D, and while it's true Cedar Park isn't in there anymore, that's still quite an accomplishment.

4. Duncanville

5. Reagan

6. Coppell

7. The Woodlands

8. Johnson

And then a major toss-up. I see the bubble as:

Hebron

Rowlett

Berkner

Anderson

Keller

Langham Creek

Harlingen

My bet's on Hebron and Anderson from those two, but I'm not 100%.

Hebron beat Bell, which means something no matter what the circumstances.

Anderson, well, I'm biased :P. But I think there's a momentum now that just may get us through. We'll see.

Here's how I see State finals shaping up:

1. Marcus

2. Bell

3. Bowie, it's time they medaled. They won Area D, and while it's true Cedar Park isn't in there anymore, that's still quite an accomplishment.

4. Duncanville

5. Reagan

6. Coppell

7. The Woodlands

8. Johnson

Being 4A is no fun :(

I don't get to be involved in all the reindeer games T_T

area C had finals cancelled because of rain. Duncanville especially had a rainy performance that day. In prelims, sometimes bands don't give it their all and they get energized for finals. I am completely sure that if there were finals that day, the same 4 would be going to state but the order would have been different. (Nothing against Rowlett or any other area C band)

In 2008, Rowlett was 1st in Area C prelims and yet finished 4th in finals (which unfortunately meant that they were the 1st Alternate). So yes, rankings can and do change from prelims to finals. Sometimes dramatically.

But if your "sometimes bands don't give it their all" in prelims theory is valid (maybe, maybe not), then wouldn't that have to apply to Rowlett as well? Regardless, all 4 of those Area C bands are truly excellent.

One other thought... Area C had exactly 20 5A bands competing this year. Had their been one less, Coppell would not have advanced. Weird.

In 2008, Rowlett was 1st in Area C prelims and yet finished 4th in finals (which unfortunately meant that they were the 1st Alternate). So yes, rankings can and do change from prelims to finals. Sometimes dramatically.

But if your "sometimes bands don't give it their all" in prelims theory is valid (maybe, maybe not), then wouldn't that have to apply to Rowlett as well? Regardless, all 4 of those Area C bands are truly excellent.

One other thought... Area C had exactly 20 5A bands competing this year. Had their been one less, Coppell would not have advanced. Weird.

And who knows what would have happened in finals. We may have had X-mas in November <_< !!Or even Garland High who I'm sure nobody would believe was good coming into this year including me.

I don't know about you but I saw Haltom perform yesterday and they were quite spectacular. I think personally they are a very good possibility for state finals this year. Although, they haven't made state finals since 2004.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Haltom. They are one of my favorite bands in Texas.

I think they have some of the most musically talented students in the state.