2010 BOA The Woodlands

takigan

It was to your comment "just because they have the reputation doesn't mean they automatically deserve high scores"

If that isn't a stab at the bigger bands that have been doing this a lot longer with absolutely incredible shows that have props, and colorguard, then I completely read it out of context. I was there, and saw the shows, and as great as all of the shows were, even the ones that didn't make finals, I have to disagree with the final placements of the bands. That is in no way taking away from how Vandegrift performed, I am just saying that maybe the difficulty of the shows needed to be looked at also. Some of those bands out there had some incredibly difficult shows and maneuvers. Who should be higher? The band that has a much more difficult show that may not have marched quite as clean or the easy show that is very clean? Regardless, I think all the bands were great! :D

That isn't a stab at anyone. There just seems to be this idea that because a band that has had a reputation should have scored higher, but it's not true at all. There have been major changes in a lot of programs, which does explain why some bands scored lower than normally. Generally, the band should just be judged for the product they put forth for that specific performance.

What should be scored higher a difficult dirtier show or easier clean show? That's always th equestion. I think that bands with harder shows usually score higher when the execution of the shows are at the same level. If a band is a lot cleaner as a whole and has excellent individual execution, maybe they should score higher than a band who's shows is not as clean.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't a stab at anyone. There just seems to be this idea that because a band that has had a reputation should have scored higher, but it's not true at all. There have been major changes in a lot of programs, which does explain why some bands scored lower than normally. Generally, the band should just be judged for the product they put forth for that specific performance.

What should be scored higher a difficult dirtier show or easier clean show? That's always th equestion. I think that bands with harder shows usually score higher when the execution of the shows are at the same level. If a band is a lot cleaner as a whole and has excellent individual execution, maybe they should score higher than a band who's shows is not as clean.

Ok, so I am guessing that everyone is in love with Vandegrift, as with both of the above comments who quite clearly think that they have an all state show, I feel differently. I personally love the larger, louder bands with exciting shows. Vandegrifts show was pretty, but didn't razzle me up all that much. There is a lot of great talent coming to Super Regionals. And I have no great love for Reagan's show, and The Woodlands had a tear in their show in the finals in Houston so they need to clean things up and get their pit watching their dm's and fc's . But yes, I will be watching the Super Regional Finals.

Ok, I'm not in love with Vandegrift. I'm actually in love with Johnson, their show reminded a lot of the old Reagan and I loved the old Reagan, and Churchill because I thought that their show is an amazing arrangment. Those two shows were my favorite of that night.

Does that mean that I would have scored them above Vandegrift? Idk, but I do know that I'm not a professional in critiquing bands. Looking at the score disparity, I think Vandegrift probably deserved the win.

I cannot wait to watch BOA SA!!! I have to webcast it, but it's in real time so that's pretty cool.

Ok, I'm not in love with Vandegrift. I'm actually in love with Johnson, their show reminded a lot of the old Reagan and I loved the old Reagan, and Churchill because I thought that their show is an amazing arrangment. Those two shows were my favorite of that night.

Does that mean that I would have scored them above Vandegrift? Idk, but I do know that I'm not a professional in critiquing bands. Looking at the score disparity, I think Vandegrift probably deserved the win.

I cannot wait to watch BOA SA!!! I have to webcast it, but it's in real time so that's pretty cool.

I loved Johnson's show also, and I know they really enjoyed getting into the finals. I am sure they too will be working to improve that show. And the show should be a little reminiscent of the old Churchill shows because the director at Johnson used to be at Churchill and wrote or co-wrote many of those older shows. And you should go to the BOA SA. Minus the fact that there is an incredible amount of sound bouncing off of everything, the shows are so great.