• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ginnyqoa

ginnyqoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

I've seen his name popping up over and over, especially in the middle school selections. And also in some arrangements of christmas pieces. Anyone know much about him?

#2 mbui

mbui

TXBands.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

Pretty big composer for wind band. His well known works include The Divine Comedy, Into the Storm, Africa: Ceremony, Song & Ritual, and Song of Sailor and Sea.

http://en.wikipedia....Robert_W._Smith

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

He has written for marching band and drum corps as well. I think he's the Director of Bands at Troy State University. One of my favorite drum corps shows is his all-original show "A Florida Suite", first put on the field by Suncoast Sound in 1985.

#4 talltexan9

talltexan9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

He also wrote El Espiritu De Valencea a nice easy middle school march thats fun to play at least brass wise.

#5 bluebellbrass07

bluebellbrass07

THE Remaining

• Administrators
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:08 AM

He was just inducted into the DCI hall of fame. His work with suncoast sound is legendary. He was also just named the madison scouts new brass arranger a few days ago.

#6 mellopwn1

mellopwn1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

It is impossible to go through a Texas Elementary and Middle School program and not play at least a handful of his pieces. Moving around the state like I have, and in the process attending 6 different elementary/middle schools back in the early 2000's, I think I've played...say...14? haha. It's ridiculous.

But he is good, as others have stated above.

Edited by mellopwn1, 26 October 2010 - 05:18 AM.

#7 Drummantx

Drummantx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

I like him. smile.gif

#8 KlarinetteRed_64

KlarinetteRed_64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

Pretty good compositions. In Texas, the music is played by at least two bands at each contest for middle schools. That's a TON of performances of his pieces. And it just so happens, that none of the bands that play his music get last place.

#9 dlwhitley2

dlwhitley2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

One of my favorite composers. Great guy he is very down to earth and love his music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users