LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

Hmmmm. We should totally revive this thread. 😂

Do all of Daniel’s tips from 9 years ago still apply?
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#22 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:37 PM

Very worthy necro.

#23 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

Very worthy necro.

:D

I thought so! And I definitely think most of his tips still apply. It’s definitely still cheaper to wait and buy your tickets at the Dome itself, and the 112 section up by the box is definitely the best place to sit. Of course, now the TXB staff has moved up in the world, and they get to actually sit inside the box! I would too, but don’t want to buy 3 super passes.

I’m just curious if the rest of his advice still applies. And would folks still recommend the same restaurants.

My personal plan is to stay nearby in a townhouse I rented thru AirBNB and walk over to the dome. My only issue with that is wondering if it would be a dangerous walk late on Saturday night after finals....maybe I’ll pay to park just on Saturday. Or I’ll wait until I get there on Friday and see what I think of the area and the walk. I won’t be walking alone, but still....

#24 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

:D

I thought so! And I definitely think most of his tips still apply. It’s definitely still cheaper to wait and buy your tickets at the Dome itself, and the 112 section up by the box is definitely the best place to sit. Of course, now the TXB staff has moved up in the world, and they get to actually sit inside the box! I would too, but don’t want to buy 3 super passes.

I’m just curious if the rest of his advice still applies. And would folks still recommend the same restaurants.

My personal plan is to stay nearby in a townhouse I rented thru AirBNB and walk over to the dome. My only issue with that is wondering if it would be a dangerous walk late on Saturday night after finals....maybe I’ll pay to park just on Saturday. Or I’ll wait until I get there on Friday and see what I think of the area and the walk. I won’t be walking alone, but still....

So that means we mere mortals don't get to say hi. I've actually not met most of them (I did meet Whitewing09 at Indy last year - if you notice in one of Montoya's videos he's wearing our show shirt...).

Since my wife is a volunteer with the band, we'll be staying with the band at their hotel which is fairly close as those things go (I think it is one of the Marriott's).

I am very interested in restaurant recommendations. It seems to be a barren wasteland in the nearby vicinity for food. TWHS likes to hang out at Sunset Station, and it looks like there used to be a few restaurants around there, but they were all dead last year.

#25 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

So that means we mere mortals don't get to say hi. I've actually not met most of them (I did meet Whitewing09 at Indy last year - if you notice in one of Montoya's videos he's wearing our show shirt...).

Since my wife is a volunteer with the band, we'll be staying with the band at their hotel which is fairly close as those things go (I think it is one of the Marriott's).

I am very interested in restaurant recommendations. It seems to be a barren wasteland in the nearby vicinity for food. TWHS likes to hang out at Sunset Station, and it looks like there used to be a few restaurants around there, but they were all dead last year.

Haha!!  I do come down for a bit during the contest to mingle with our "Friends Of TxBands" that sit in the stands and say hello to anyone else.  I'll put something up on the blog when we are out and about in the stadium!

Restaurants are hard to come by around The Alamodome and that is totally done on purpose.  Sunset Station has really dried up and turned in to a private function area on the weekends.  It really depends on how much time you have on your hands to walk in to Downtown San Antonio.

Danpod Valdres - Moderator at Txbands.com

#26 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:52 PM

Hmmmm. We should totally revive this thread.

Do all of Daniel’s tips from 9 years ago still apply?

I may put something together soon :)

#27 FloMoParent

FloMoParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

I may put something together soon :)

Just update the first post here. :)  I've shared it with many band parents

We ARE Flower Mound!
#FloMoBringTheMoJo

#28 BanderThanYou

BanderThanYou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

I figured I'd chime in on some of the ins and outs of The San Antonio Super Regional coming up this weekend. As a performer and a fan, this will be my 10th BOA San Antonio event that I have attended. In that time, I have acquired some intimate knowledge about the event. I hope this guide gives you a little perspective on what to expect off the field at the Super Regional.

Tickets:
Unless you plan on taking a huge group with you, I strongly recommend that you purchase your tickets at the gate rather than online via Ticketmaster. Here's why:

Friday Prelims Ticket Price (At The Gate): $17
Friday Prelims Ticket Price (Ticketmaster.com): $27.95

Don't you just love those extra online fees and convenience charges? You can save at least ten bucks by standing in line at the gate for five minutes to purchase tickets. Also, Music For All is offering all sorts of discounts for students, senior citizens, and Active Duty Military. http://www.musicfora...et.Discount.pdf

Super Ticket (Two Day Prelims Pass/Reserved Finals Ticket): $48
Everything Separate (Friday and Saturday Prelims/Reserved Finals Ticket): $64

Save yourself $16 by purchasing the Super Ticket, even if you don't plan on sitting in the Reserved Seat for Finals. A lot of the time, people will be so tired by Saturday night that they won't want to deal with standing in line for two hours before Finals. It's much easier to have the option of taking your time and knowing that you have a seat all to yourself in the upper deck. Besides, no one has been kicked out of General Admission seating in Finals just because they had a Reserved Ticket.

Parking:
Parking at the Alamodome is $10, with no in and out privileges. Unless you have a reserved space at a garage, good luck finding a lot with in and out parking in Downtown San Antonio. There are a few lots within a few blocks of the Alamodome that offer parking for $5.

- Consider a parking meter. There are some meters as you head straight out of the main entrance of the Alamodome. There are also some down Durango Blvd. on the west side of I-35. A quarter buys you about an hour on a 10-Hour Meter. Any meter is free after 6:00 P.M. so keep that in mind while you're shoving change down the slot.
- Stay away from parking across the street at a local business. Although some do offer paid parking, usually around $10, the "lots" tend to be horribly cramped, which leaves your car vulnerable to damages. Don't even think about parking at one of the houses across the street. You can be towed and fined.
- No matter where you park, be sure to read any and all signs carefully. Many parking lots are very stingy about their policies and won't think twice about having your car booted.

Food:
Aramark is the company who provides the concessions at The Alamodome. I hate their freakin' guts. Personal Pan Pizzas from Pizza Hut go for about six bucks. A bottle of water goes for about $3.25. The closest eatery is Bill Miller's BBQ, but be prepared to deal with an overcrowded restaurant and questionable food quality. Here are some tips to lessen the frustration of eating at the Alamodome:

- The Riverwalk is a huge tourist attraction. If you choose to have a sit down meal there, allocate a lot of time to do so.
- Avoid eating at Rivercenter Mall. The mall is packed on a normal weekend. Imagine how packed it will be this coming weekend.
- Try your best to have a big meal before entering the dome. Scientists at Oxford University have proven that viewing marching contests is the single most hunger-inducing activity a human can engage in. Combine that with astronomical prices and you have a recipe for some shocked faces when checking your account balance the following day.
- If you choose to eat at the dome, try the nachos. You'd be surprised how much those things fill you up. The drinks they offer are pretty large, too.
- I'm not going to sit here and tell you to sneak food in, since it is against Alamodome policy to allow outside food or drink. However, I will tell you that every year that I have taken my laptop bag, only one pocket has been checked.

Etiquette:

- Shut the Hell up during performances. Get off your cell phone. Avoid long conversations during performances.
- If you're going to say something bad about a show that's going on, keep in mind that there could be a parent from that program sitting right behind you.
- I understand that parents want to all sit together in one massive group. However, putting down 100 pieces of construction paper on each seat to call it "your" section is frowned upon.
- The Director's Viewing Area is roped off for a reason. You should see how many people's eyes light up when they see a block of twenty seats right on the 50, only to be disappointed by the yellow murder tape surrounding the area.
- Be respectful when standing in line to get into Finals. At that point in the day, everyone is tired and very irritable. A negative comment about a program can ignite a shouting match, which I have personally witnessed at many marching events at The Alamodome.
- Try to clap for everyone. Nothing pisses me off more than a person who will incessantly talk through every single show and then give you the Look of Death if you so much as breathe during the only show that they care about.

Wait, can someone link this study done by the Oxford University, I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not. But if not, could Dan link this study???

#29 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Wait, can someone link this study done by the Oxford University, I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not. But if not, could Dan link this study???

Sarcasm :)

#30 BanderThanYou

BanderThanYou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

Sarcasm :)

Ah, of course, but I completely agree that watching marching bands is especially hunger-inducing. Especially at Kelly Reeves with the smell of kettlecorn wafting all around the stadium.

#31 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

I think a good addition would be about the clear bag policy that was not in effect in 2009. Makes the unsanctioned food sneaking a little tougher.

#32 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

I think a good addition would be about the clear bag policy that was not in effect in 2009. Makes the unsanctioned food sneaking a little tougher.

True!

I have noticed that they never say anything about the granola bars I put in mine, though. Maybe it’s just fast food they don’t want you bringing in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users