31 replies to this topic

#1 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:08 AM

I figured I'd chime in on some of the ins and outs of The San Antonio Super Regional coming up this weekend. As a performer and a fan, this will be my 10th BOA San Antonio event that I have attended. In that time, I have acquired some intimate knowledge about the event. I hope this guide gives you a little perspective on what to expect off the field at the Super Regional.

Tickets:
Unless you plan on taking a huge group with you, I strongly recommend that you purchase your tickets at the gate rather than online via Ticketmaster. Here's why:

Friday Prelims Ticket Price (At The Gate): $17
Friday Prelims Ticket Price (Ticketmaster.com): $27.95

Don't you just love those extra online fees and convenience charges? You can save at least ten bucks by standing in line at the gate for five minutes to purchase tickets. Also, Music For All is offering all sorts of discounts for students, senior citizens, and Active Duty Military. http://www.musicfora...et.Discount.pdf

Super Ticket (Two Day Prelims Pass/Reserved Finals Ticket): $48
Everything Separate (Friday and Saturday Prelims/Reserved Finals Ticket): $64

Save yourself $16 by purchasing the Super Ticket, even if you don't plan on sitting in the Reserved Seat for Finals. A lot of the time, people will be so tired by Saturday night that they won't want to deal with standing in line for two hours before Finals. It's much easier to have the option of taking your time and knowing that you have a seat all to yourself in the upper deck. Besides, no one has been kicked out of General Admission seating in Finals just because they had a Reserved Ticket.

Parking:
Parking at the Alamodome is $10, with no in and out privileges. Unless you have a reserved space at a garage, good luck finding a lot with in and out parking in Downtown San Antonio. There are a few lots within a few blocks of the Alamodome that offer parking for $5.

- Consider a parking meter. There are some meters as you head straight out of the main entrance of the Alamodome. There are also some down Durango Blvd. on the west side of I-35. A quarter buys you about an hour on a 10-Hour Meter. Any meter is free after 6:00 P.M. so keep that in mind while you're shoving change down the slot.
- Stay away from parking across the street at a local business. Although some do offer paid parking, usually around $10, the "lots" tend to be horribly cramped, which leaves your car vulnerable to damages. Don't even think about parking at one of the houses across the street. You can be towed and fined.
- No matter where you park, be sure to read any and all signs carefully. Many parking lots are very stingy about their policies and won't think twice about having your car booted.

Food:
Aramark is the company who provides the concessions at The Alamodome. I hate their freakin' guts. Personal Pan Pizzas from Pizza Hut go for about six bucks. A bottle of water goes for about $3.25. The closest eatery is Bill Miller's BBQ, but be prepared to deal with an overcrowded restaurant and questionable food quality. Here are some tips to lessen the frustration of eating at the Alamodome:

- The Riverwalk is a huge tourist attraction. If you choose to have a sit down meal there, allocate a lot of time to do so.
- Avoid eating at Rivercenter Mall. The mall is packed on a normal weekend. Imagine how packed it will be this coming weekend.
- Try your best to have a big meal before entering the dome. Scientists at Oxford University have proven that viewing marching contests is the single most hunger-inducing activity a human can engage in. Combine that with astronomical prices and you have a recipe for some shocked faces when checking your account balance the following day.
- If you choose to eat at the dome, try the nachos. You'd be surprised how much those things fill you up. The drinks they offer are pretty large, too.
- I'm not going to sit here and tell you to sneak food in, since it is against Alamodome policy to allow outside food or drink. However, I will tell you that every year that I have taken my laptop bag, only one pocket has been checked.

Etiquette:

- Shut the Hell up during performances. Get off your cell phone. Avoid long conversations during performances.
- If you're going to say something bad about a show that's going on, keep in mind that there could be a parent from that program sitting right behind you.
- I understand that parents want to all sit together in one massive group. However, putting down 100 pieces of construction paper on each seat to call it "your" section is frowned upon.
- The Director's Viewing Area is roped off for a reason. You should see how many people's eyes light up when they see a block of twenty seats right on the 50, only to be disappointed by the yellow murder tape surrounding the area.
- Be respectful when standing in line to get into Finals. At that point in the day, everyone is tired and very irritable. A negative comment about a program can ignite a shouting match, which I have personally witnessed at many marching events at The Alamodome.
- Try to clap for everyone. Nothing pisses me off more than a person who will incessantly talk through every single show and then give you the Look of Death if you so much as breathe during the only show that they care about.

Danpod Valdres - Moderator at Txbands.com

#2 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:16 AM

Forgot to add this in:

The Txbands.com Staff will be in full effect at The San Antonio Super Regional. We usually sit right next to the Director's Viewing Area, which is located in Section 112 right up against the lower press box. We love talking to new people so don't be shy about coming up to us. Also, I've been known to give away gift cards from time to time in the stands. We always have a fun time at these events so if you're lucky enough to sit near us, you might hear some crazy stuff!

#3 longhornsax

longhornsax

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:02 AM

This will be my fourth straight year attending finals and I look forward to it more and more each year. This year is completely STACKED with great bands, and is shaping up to be just a great event to sit back and enjoy.

Parking is definitely best done near the Riverwalk. I usually make a day out of it. Eat at my favorite place, venture over to the Tower of Americas, then enjoy BOA finals. Great day.

Where do you recommend sitting Danpod? I've alternated between the lower deck and upper deck. The upper deck has a great view, but the sound really gets distorted and the music tends to echo a LOT. The lower deck doesn't quite offer the best view of the forms though. I'm guessing you're top of the lower deck is the best option?

#4 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

Where do you recommend sitting Danpod? I've alternated between the lower deck and upper deck. The upper deck has a great view, but the sound really gets distorted and the music tends to echo a LOT. The lower deck doesn't quite offer the best view of the forms though. I'm guessing you're top of the lower deck is the best option?

Personally, I like to sit on the lower deck as far back as possible. It's far away enough for me to enjoy some forms. It's close enough to the action to make me jump out of my seat and scream when necessary. I hate the upper deck at The Alamodome. Sounds get lost so easily up there. Besides, I'd rather be outside when the birds crap on my head =)

#5 longhornsax

longhornsax

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (Danpod @ Oct 19 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I like to sit on the lower deck as far back as possible. It's far away enough for me to enjoy some forms. It's close enough to the action to make me jump out of my seat and scream when necessary. I hate the upper deck at The Alamodome. Sounds get lost so easily up there. Besides, I'd rather be outside when the birds crap on my head =)

Sounds good to me. I'll aim for those. I'm guessing those seats go pretty fast then?

#6 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:17 AM

Sounds good to me. I'll aim for those. I'm guessing those seats go pretty fast then?

For those in the know, they do!

#7 rpd

rpd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

I personally love Bill Millers. One thing I miss about living in San Antonio for sure. However to fully experience San Antonio I recommend Casa Rio on the River Walk. They have the best green enchiladas I've ever had.

Is the price for the Friday prelims the same for Saturday? Some of my friends and family want to see the UTA show but I'm sure wont want to stay for finals.

#8 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

This is one of the best threads ever.

#9 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

I personally love Bill Millers. One thing I miss about living in San Antonio for sure. However to fully experience San Antonio I recommend Casa Rio on the River Walk. They have the best green enchiladas I've ever had.

Is the price for the Friday prelims the same for Saturday? Some of my friends and family want to see the UTA show but I'm sure wont want to stay for finals.

$17 for Friday Prelims
$19 for Saturday Prelims

I love Bill Miller's chicken strips. I just hate that particular location. The quality of the food goes way down when they have 200 band members to feed. Casa Rio is a great little Mexican restaurant. However, Lulu's Bakery and Cafe tops all of these places 100-Fold.

#10 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

However, Lulu's Bakery and Cafe tops all of these places 100-Fold.

Chicken Fried Chicken with Queso on top! Best food ever.

#11 award

award

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

I have three tickets to Friday Prelims that will get thrown away if not used. If you're interested they are at no cost.

I purchased the "Super Ticket" (the 2 days of prelims and finals) and I wont be getting to San Antonio until Saturday morning.

message me if you're interested. NO strings.. and i can probably get them in the mail as early as tomorrow

#12 award

award

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:04 AM

$17 for Friday Prelims
$19 for Saturday Prelims

I love Bill Miller's chicken strips. I just hate that particular location. The quality of the food goes way down when they have 200 band members to feed. Casa Rio is a great little Mexican restaurant. However, Lulu's Bakery and Cafe tops all of these places 100-Fold.

I had the pleasure of stumbling across LuLu's my first year attending BOA SA.. We were staying at the hotel right next door.

Now I make it a point to go there every year. Best Food EVER!

#13 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:22 AM

I had the pleasure of stumbling across LuLu's my first year attending BOA SA.. We were staying at the hotel right next door.

Now I make it a point to go there every year. Best Food EVER!

Were y'all the ones sitting by us right after BOA SA last year (or was it the year before)?

#14 award

award

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

Were y'all the ones sitting by us right after BOA SA last year (or was it the year before)?

wow, good memory. It was the year before.

#15 Salas

Salas

Drill Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:23 AM

wow, good memory. It was the year before.

Hey, I remember you too!

Too bad I won't be attending the Super Regional this year. :(

#16 ryan_albert52

ryan_albert52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:12 AM

I definitely have to agree. Last year at 5A state, we were referred to Casa Rio by a friend. I really, REALLY, enjoyed those enchiladas. Mmmm.... and the salsa. Delish!!

Plus, you can sit and watch in amazement how the boats on the river walk don't crash. lol :lol:

#17 radchad

radchad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

Mm. Casa Rio.

#18 hyfrogenCviolence

hyfrogenCviolence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

Woo hoo!! Can't wait for Saturday!! Good luck to all the high school bands!

Can't wait to eat at the yummiest restaurant in San Antonio too. >:~)

#19 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

Woo hoo!! Can't wait for Saturday!! Good luck to all the high school bands!

Can't wait to eat at the yummiest restaurant in San Antonio too. >:~)

What the heck? Your posts are all supposed to be in modern beatnik poetic form.

#20 hyfrogenCviolence

hyfrogenCviolence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:58 AM

What the heck? Your posts are all supposed to be in modern beatnik poetic form.

That was sooo 2002? Hyfro grew out of his 1337 beatnik stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users