Ok so after three weeks of competition its clear that Friendswood and Dripping Springs are going to be in State Finals (and medal if they dont make any major mess-ups) and the third medal will probably go to Poteet. (The color of the medal each school is up for debate) I put Dripping Springs and Friendswood as clear medalists, due to the video I saw of Dripping Springs which was ABSOLUTLY AMAZING! and that FHS has proved its intent through a strong showing at BOA Pearland against some very stiff 5A competitors. I hesitate to put Poteet as a clear medalist due to the second place finish to McKinney Boyd and a third place in music at the Plano East Competition, while they did good, I am just not convinced that they are a lock for a medal.

Wakeland might have something to say about your rankings...any band that can make BOA finals ahead of some strong, strong bands (and place in Finals ahead of Haltom, consistently one of the best 5A programs in the state) deserves some modicum of respect. I do agree, however, that those four (your three, plus Wakeland) are the top four.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the reason I did not choose Dawson and Wakeland as probable medalists is that yes they made BOA finals, which is a huge achievement, but both are BOA bands, and will not be rewarded in the UIL scorecard. Look at Wakeland, the only reason they made it into finals was because of GE, their execution scores were horridly low. Dawson will do well but not to the point where they will be a threat for a medal, but in two years it could be a totally different story.

Edited by titancoaster

ok i think u are being quite unfair. first of all unless u've actually seen them just looking at a number doesn't tell the whole story. 2nd of all its still early in the season and wakeland always improve dramatically the last couple weeks, and lastly i believe they did get 2nd in honor band over a lot of very good bands. finally they are just in their 4th year and to be already at the level their at is incredible

Edited by the terminator

ok i think u are being quite unfair. first of all unless u've actually seen them just looking at a number doesn't tell the whole story. 2nd of all its still early in the season and wakeland always improve dramatically the last couple weeks, and lastly i believe they did get 2nd in honor band over a lot of very good bands. finally they are just in their 4th year and to be already at the level their at is incredible

I wouldnt say that wakeland has it in the bag. I have seen their show and at this point, i would not say it's likely to be top 4, but could with 3 weeks of practice (assuming they make it to state) Most definitely not a lock though (imo)

^^ Im not trying to be mean or anything I am just saying my opinion, and actually of all the big players I have seen all except Poteet (I attended both BOAs and saw the video of Dripping Springs). I do agree that any band could pull their way onto the medal podium in three weeks, but I am just going off where they are now. I never said those three were "locks" for medals, just that they were locks for finals and very likely the medalitsts. Oh and with the Honor band thing, congrats to Wakeland for placing 2nd that is awesome, but one marching band is a different ball game, and two they are going against the two bands who have reigned as honor bands since the 2005-2006 school year (Friendswood and Poteet) and if I remember correctly Dripping Springs placed very well in the state competition. Again I am not trying to say the season is over except these three bands, I am just saying they have pulled away as being the three front runners in the race for state. Oh and yes it is awesome for Wakeland, Legacy, and Dawson to be making such a strong voice as such young schools, it really speaks volumes about the future of marching band.

I am not sure if two or three bands from Area C will be advancing to State this year. You will definitely see Mesquite Poteet advance. I also have a hunch that Forney will be going to state for the first time. I have been watching Forney the last few years and it's amazing how much this band has progressed in such a short time. I have also seen Poteet's show a few times this year and, as usual, they will be a force to reckoned with!

I agree with you Cgrad. Forney has a legit shot at advancing for the first time and I am very excited for them. They have a really great show this year. My one concern is that while they have an impressive volume, they play past their best sound often. The music judges could potentially nail them for that. The visual package, however, is very good.

I am very curious about Waxahachie this year after their impressive honor band placement. Rockwall Heath is also on the upswing and should be a contender. Pearce was kind of a mess at Plano East, but they have historically struggled throughout the season only to peak at area(though the 1-2-1 at region is a bit worrying.) Lindale is another question mark as they don't tend to compete with the other Area C folks until area day. They came out of virtually nowhere to take the alternate spot in 07. This will be an exciting area to watch once more!

I agree with you Cgrad. Forney has a legit shot at advancing for the first time and I am very excited for them. They have a really great show this year. My one concern is that while they have an impressive volume, they play past their best sound often. The music judges could potentially nail them for that. The visual package, however, is very good.

I am very curious about Waxahachie this year after their impressive honor band placement. Rockwall Heath is also on the upswing and should be a contender. Pearce was kind of a mess at Plano East, but they have historically struggled throughout the season only to peak at area(though the 1-2-1 at region is a bit worrying.) Lindale is another question mark as they don't tend to compete with the other Area C folks until area day. They came out of virtually nowhere to take the alternate spot in 07. This will be an exciting area to watch once more!

I am glad you mentioned Waxahachie. I had completely forgot about them! I am sure they will be able to make it into Area Finals, so I will look forward to seeing them perform next Saturday. I also agree with you in regards to Forney's sound quality. At regionals last night, there were a couple Trombones at the end of the 1st movement that got a little carried away. I am on the verge of saying that Forney may have been a tad bit louder than Poteet; however, Poteet seems to always manage hitting a high volume with such a full and controlled sound....you can tell these students are taught to listen to one another while performing. I saw JJ Pearce last night, as well. Honestly, I did not get any goosebumps at all and was disappointed, considering they placed so high in the State Prelims in '07.

It's almost as if history is repeating itself....Area C is getting interesting again. It looks like Poteet has a new rival (Forney). Coppell is the first one I remember and then came Sherman. I just hope this will evolve into a rivalry where there is mutual respect and friendly competition.

I am glad you mentioned Waxahachie. I had completely forgot about them! I am sure they will be able to make it into Area Finals, so I will look forward to seeing them perform next Saturday. I also agree with you in regards to Forney's sound quality. At regionals last night, there were a couple Trombones at the end of the 1st movement that got a little carried away. I am on the verge of saying that Forney may have been a tad bit louder than Poteet; however, Poteet seems to always manage hitting a high volume with such a full and controlled sound....you can tell these students are taught to listen to one another while performing. I saw JJ Pearce last night, as well. Honestly, I did not get any goosebumps at all and was disappointed, considering they placed so high in the State Prelims in '07.

It's almost as if history is repeating itself....Area C is getting interesting again. It looks like Poteet has a new rival (Forney). Coppell is the first one I remember and then came Sherman. I just hope this will evolve into a rivalry where there is mutual respect and friendly competition.

Did you stay for Heaths show?

wat? :huh:

Wow......Translation....

Hendrickson's show is called "Look Up" and is sort of based around believing in yourself. It has "Javelin" by Michael Torke, Parts of "For the Love of Three Oranges" by Sergei Prokofiev, and "Someday I'll Fly Away" from Moulin Rouge.

So here's Area B in my eyes:

You have 5 bands that have made state before: Birdville, Sherman, Aledo, Centennial and The Colony.

The runner up from last year: Joshua

Three AMAZING ex-5A bands: Timberview, Newman Smith and Legacy

And two top 3 finishers in honor band: Southwest and Wakeland.

My prediction from what I've seen and how UIL scores is:

State = Birdville, Sherman, Aledo and one of the ex-5A groups. I personally favor either Timberview or Newman Smith.

Alternates = Wakeland and whatever of the two ex-5A groups doesn't advance to state.

And also if you look at it this way, only 4 bands will be making it from Area B, and only 10 bands will be competing in Finals... there's 11 bands that I listed above as potential contenders.

With only four spots in Area B, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sherman didn't advance. I'm feeling Aledo/Birdville/Newman Smith/Wakeland at the moment. I can't believe area is already this Friday!

I think Area B might actually take 5 bands. With all four 4A bands in Region 5 making Division 1 ratings tonight, it brings the total number of bands competing in Area B to 29.

Ha, you're right dunno where I got those extra bands from.

Area B looks as follows:

Birdville

Timberview

Legacy

Seguin

Aledo

Cleburne

Crowley

Granbury

Joshua

Stephenville

Centennial

Frisco

Liberty

Little Elm

Newman Smith

R. L. Turner

The Colony

Wakeland

Southwest

Denison

McKinney

McKinney North

Sherman

Edited by thePIXELelement

Ha, you're right dunno where I got those extra bands from.

Area B looks as follows:

Birdville

Timberview

Legacy

Seguin

Aledo

Cleburne

Crowley

Granbury

Joshua

Stephenville

Centennial

Frisco

Liberty

Little Elm

Newman Smith

R. L. Turner

The Colony

Wakeland

Southwest

Where's Sherman on the list?

Looks like 2 bands will advance from Area F, 13 bands will perform at Area. Would be 3 advancing but 2 schools receiving 1's at Regions choose not to compete at area.

Scheduled preformance times at Galena Park ISD Stadium Saturday 10/24/09

WILLIS 12:15

LUMBERTON 12:30

CROSBY 12:45

GOOSE CREEK MEMORIAL - BAYTOWN 1:00

DAWSON 1:15

FRIENDSWOOD 1:30

LITTLE CYPRESS MAURICEVILLE 2:15

ANGLETON 2:30

MONTGOMERY 2:45

GALENA PARK 3:00

PORT NECHES-GROVES 3:15

VIDOR 3:30

HUNTSVILLE 3:45

Edited by gbtx1968

With only four spots in Area B, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sherman didn't advance. I'm feeling Aledo/Birdville/Newman Smith/Wakeland at the moment. I can't believe area is already this Friday!

Well, while Wakeland is a good band, you do have to consider the fact that the last time around at area they didn't even make finals. Sherman has a strong UIL based program. Yes, Wakeland beat Newman Smith at the BOA contest, but also take into account that the areas that UIL weights heaviest are the areas that Wakeland scored considerably lower than the previously mentioned band.

It's just going to be interesting no matter what happens in Area B. There's going to be a lot of drama and upsets there.

Edited by borchnork