• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Southwest might actually be able to make the breakthrough to State this year. Last year was the first year they've had a true solid marching program, and they're still one of the top musical bands in the state.

And they're doing Harmonic Journey this year. If they can pull it off, they deserve to go to State. I can't see them not achieving that show musically...and, at the very least, their visual can't be as bad as Phantom's was that year. :)

Well, I have heard that Dripping Springs is doing amazing this year and will be fighting for a first place medal and a definant leader in the stacked area d. Friendswood and Poteet will make strong showings as is typical of the schools. I just hope that someone will take Poteet down, two times in a row is enough, let someone else win. I think it will be a good contest with some new names in state finals (Legacy?) seeing as three finalists (two of them medalists) are now 5A. I am looking forward to a great season for 4A programs!

stacked area d

i beg to differ. area d was stacked in 07 when all 4 who advanced made state finals, but seeing as 3 of the top 5 are now 5A, 4A area d looks to be fairly average this season.

this post not intended to bash any band competing. it's my opinion. if you have an issue, message me and it will be dealt with privately.

what about wakeland i think any band that finished 2nd in honor band to friendswood has to be considered a threat to make state and possibly finals

Ha, in my freshman year, we got third at honor band. The very next year, we got a division II at UIL. Our marching program at that time, however, was completely underdeveloped. I fully expect Wakeland to do great this year.

Aledo and Sherman are in Area B, along with Legacy, Newman Smith, Birdville, The Colony, Wakeland, Centennial, Timberview and Southwest (among others). THAT would be my area to watch.

this year there better be 5 state spots in this area. I like Newman Smith, Wakeland, Aledo, Sherman, and Birdville in random order as my top 5

My predictions are, one medalist from Area D, one from area F, and the third from Poteet or if they are nocked off Area B. I think even though Area D lost talent, it still has two previous state finalists who will more then fill the empty shoes, and Area F has Friendswood a band that medaled in 03 and 05, and fourth in 07 so I think they will be able to grab a spot on the podium if you will (and if any Area F school manages to beat them they will definantly deserve a medal).

Ok so after three weeks of competition its clear that Friendswood and Dripping Springs are going to be in State Finals (and medal if they dont make any major mess-ups) and the third medal will probably go to Poteet. (The color of the medal each school is up for debate) I put Dripping Springs and Friendswood as clear medalists, due to the video I saw of Dripping Springs which was ABSOLUTLY AMAZING! and that FHS has proved its intent through a strong showing at BOA Pearland against some very stiff 5A competitors. I hesitate to put Poteet as a clear medalist due to the second place finish to McKinney Boyd and a third place in music at the Plano East Competition, while they did good, I am just not convinced that they are a lock for a medal.