Synesthesia

Nancy08

So it was recently brought to my attention that not everyone has this gift. I didn't even know it had a name really, but in my composition class our instructor asked us how many of us saw colors in music and to my surprise I was one of only three kids that did. So is it really that rare? Any other musicians out there have this or any other form of synesthesia?

My old theory teacher has it. It often accompanies what many people call "perfect pitch" (though perfect pitch isn't as easy to define as you'd think). I can at least comprehend how/why this mental anomaly/gift is possible though sadly I don't have it....wish I did though.

My old theory teacher has it. It often accompanies what many people call "perfect pitch" (though perfect pitch isn't as easy to define as you'd think). I can at least comprehend how/why this mental anomaly/gift is possible though sadly I don't have it....wish I did though.

I listened to a couple David Burge Masterclasses. He emphasizes associating notes with color. Not Bb = Blue, but what the not 'feels' like. Like F# kind of had a twangy sound to it, or something along those lines. I think this is really what this guy had, and just tried to get people to do this even though they didn't have the natural ability to. I didn't learn anything through it. I found it ironic though that for a guy trying to develop perfect pitch in his customers, he speaks in such a monotone voice.

I personally don't have this but it sounds really cool to have.