[Major Event] UIL State Contest

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, the judging panel in 2004 was very BOA influenced for Prelims and almost the exact opposite for finals.

that makes sense because I heard that we, Churchill, were first for prelims in 2004. then dropped all the way to 5th at finals. Just goes to show how much our activity relies on subjectivity.

sry guys at bell and marcus all though i hv only seen a video of bells show and seen Marcus once i have also had the great pleasure of seeing CP develop through out the course of the season and i really am liking the underdog role there playing i for some reason see that CP will take first or 2nd and marcus will take third i dont see marcus beating CP for some reason.. thats just me though

Major geek warning ahead.

I scrapped the entries posted in the Predictions page for UIL 5A State as of Wednesday, fed it into Excel, gave a point value of 10 for 1st, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd, etc., and totaled the points. Based on those predictions the results look like the list below. Probably pretty close to what will actually happen.

Place School Points

1 LD Bell 1615

2 Marcus 1379

3 Cedar Park 1106

4 Duncanville 642

5 Churchill 464

6 Bowie 460

7 The Woodlands 450

8 Coppell 353

9 Richland 337

10 Brazoswood 310

11 Hebron 244

12 Berkner 147

13 Langham Creek 146

14 Haltom 143

15 Westfield 123

16 Spring 121

17 Westlake 114

18 Akins 61

19 Vista Ridge 45

20 Cy-Falls 44

21 Harlingen 34

22 Fossil Ridge 30

23 Keller 28

24 Hanks 24

25 PSJA North 19

26 Sandra Day 16

27 Clements 12

28 Donna 12

I scrapped the entries posted in the Predictions page for UIL 5A State as of Wednesday, fed it into Excel, gave a point value of 10 for 1st, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd, etc., and totaled the points. Based on those predictions the results look like the list below. Probably pretty close to what will actually happen.

Place School Points

1 LD Bell 1615

2 Marcus 1379

3 Cedar Park 1106

4 Duncanville 642

5 Churchill 464

6 Bowie 460

7 The Woodlands 450

8 Coppell 353

9 Richland 337

10 Brazoswood 310

11 Hebron 244

12 Berkner 147

13 Langham Creek 146

14 Haltom 143

15 Westfield 123

16 Spring 121

17 Westlake 114

18 Akins 61

19 Vista Ridge 45

20 Cy-Falls 44

21 Harlingen 34

22 Fossil Ridge 30

23 Keller 28

24 Hanks 24

25 PSJA North 19

26 Sandra Day 16

27 Clements 12

28 Donna 12

i think it would be better if you do the ranking by UIL Rank Points

who ever has the lowest rank score is first

this way one band wont have over 1500 points and another only 50(Ex:LD BELL - 1615; cy falls - 44)

and the scoring wont look jacked up

...nothing personal by the way...

but yeah, what a great way to pick out your line-up for state finals

i bet your prediction will come out really acurate

nice job

That wouldn't work. Say if Donna was only placed in the top 10 by 2 people. Donna couldn't have a score higher than 20, and LD Bell; who's ranked in the top 3 by virtually everybody, would still end up with a few hundred points and would thus be ranked lower than Donna.

I do kind of wonder how accurate this will be. The BOA SA chart that you made last year was pretty accurate, but a lot of the people who submitted rankings for State will have bias towards the bands that won the area contest that they're from. I think it's interesting how Cedar Park, Churchill and Bowie are all in the top 6 while Westlake, Vista Ridge and Akins are coasting above the 20-marker. I believe the community highly underestimates these 3 bands simply because they don't have established names due partially to the fact that they don't often do BOA and also because Ridge and Akins are quite new to the "big dawgs" gang. Not only did Akins and Westlake beat Churchill at Area but the numerical scores assigned to these top 6 bands in their performance categories (e.g.Music/Marching) were all extremely close. The rank points that are used to determine finals placement don't mean much in the grand scheme of things because they don't represent the element of relativity. Akins was a finalist in 2006. I believe they're a better band this year and will likely make finals again.

...I personally will be ranking all 6 Area D bands in the top 12.....because I think it's a very plausible scenario.

No offense to anyone at all...

...but I would LOVE to have Greg Bimm (and Alfred Watkins, for that matter) judge my show. They are two of the most highly respected band directors in the country. They both have won numerous GN titles, performed at BOA Concert Band Festival, Midwest, and tons of other things that surely "allows them" to judge in Texas.

Just my two cents.

YAY! Thanks for mentioning Alfred Watkins... I went to Lassiter for 2 years and know just how great he is.

sry guys at bell and marcus all though i hv only seen a video of bells show and seen Marcus once i have also had the great pleasure of seeing CP develop through out the course of the season and i really am liking the underdog role there playing i for some reason see that CP will take first or 2nd and marcus will take third i dont see marcus beating CP for some reason.. thats just me though

I love you

Place School Points

1 LD Bell 1615

2 Marcus 1379

3 Cedar Park 1106

4 Duncanville 642

5 Churchill 464

6 Bowie 460

7 The Woodlands 450

8 Coppell 353

9 Richland 337

10 Brazoswood 310

11 Hebron 244

12 Berkner 147

13 Langham Creek 146

14 Haltom 143

15 Westfield 123

16 Spring 121

17 Westlake 114

18 Akins 61

19 Vista Ridge 45

20 Cy-Falls 44

21 Harlingen 34

22 Fossil Ridge 30

23 Keller 28

24 Hanks 24

25 PSJA North 19

26 Sandra Day 16

27 Clements 12

28 Donna 12

If you are going to post something like this at least have an accurate list of bands competing.

You are missing at least three bands that I know for a fact made it.

Check your facts :huh:

Ok... so you inspired me to do this for all our prediction events, in an automated fashion. Check it out on the prediction page. You can see all completed event's analysis data from the main prediction page, and "open" events that you have predicted on by clicking on "view lists" for that event. It's done in real time with all the current prediction lists.

Overall, not too nice layout, but you get the point.

I do kind of wonder how accurate this will be. The BOA SA chart that you made last year was pretty accurate, but a lot of the people who submitted rankings for State will have bias towards the bands that won the area contest that they're from. I think it's interesting how Cedar Park, Churchill and Bowie are all in the top 6 while Westlake, Vista Ridge and Akins are coasting above the 20-marker. I believe the community highly underestimates these 3 bands simply because they don't have established names due partially to the fact that they don't often do BOA and also because Ridge and Akins are quite new to the "big dawgs" gang. Not only did Akins and Westlake beat Churchill at Area but the numerical scores assigned to these top 6 bands in their performance categories (e.g.Music/Marching) were all extremely close. The rank points that are used to determine finals placement don't mean much in the grand scheme of things because they don't represent the element of relativity. Akins was a finalist in 2006. I believe they're a better band this year and will likely make finals again.

...I personally will be ranking all 6 Area D bands in the top 12.....because I think it's a very plausible scenario.

Could not have said it better myself.

If you are going to post something like this at least have an accurate list of bands competing.

You are missing at least three bands that I know for a fact made it.

Check your facts :huh:

What he said.....I copied the list of bands that have been given a placement of 1 - 10 in the predictions. So if some bands haven't received any placement predictions then they wouldn't be on my list.

Ok... so you inspired me to do this for all our prediction events, in an automated fashion. Check it out on the prediction page. You can see all completed event's analysis data from the main prediction page, and "open" events that you have predicted on by clicking on "view lists" for that event. It's done in real time with all the current prediction lists.

Overall, not too nice layout, but you get the point.

Very cool! I was hoping you guys would do that. It provides a much better overview of how predictions are going. And I see you've added even the schools that haven't gotten any top 10 placement predictions which is good.

Regarding the accuracy of these "polls" they are obviously very subjective and heavily influenced by which bands people like.......hey, sounds kinding of like the judging system. :) Seriously though, its fun to see how the fans (and band members) think things will shape up. But I bet at least 8 of the top 10 in the State poll will actually make finals. There will be a couple of surprise bands making finals.

This will be the first time in about 6 years that Westfield has done UIL, and I'm elated that we made it this far.

I'm a fan of Bell, Brazos, and Marcus, but I'm yet to see a lot of other shows although I hear they're also good.

I can't wait for UIL State and good luck to all the competing bands! :)

p.s. the best part of State is that the School District pays for everything. ;)