Area B Marching Band Contest

The band was taken back to the school to allow them to change out of their uniforms and go back to the stadium.

Just because you did not see them as a group, in uniform, does not mean they were not there.

Actually, Bell had a long lunch break and then they had practice (I don't know for how long) at my stadium while we were performing since they could not practice at their own stadium.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna go with dfife knows more what he's taking about. I think you might be thinking of post prelims?

Actually, I was sitting next to some band parents who said that the reason they weren't there was because they were practicing.

I would think if they were there then the drum majors would of been out getting the participation plaque.

Actually, I was sitting next to some band parents who said that the reason they weren't there was because they were practicing.

I would think if they were there then the drum majors would of been out getting the participation plaque.

It just seems odd that they would be practicing that late at night. They performed at 9:15pm in finals, why would they go practice afterwards?

edit - I only question that because I know dfife is pretty much a part of the band staff at Bell. He is the webmaster for their band website, as well as dfife.com... assuming it's the same dfife.

Edited by pokerface

It just seems odd that they would be practicing that late at night. They performed at 9:15pm in finals, why would they go practice afterwards?

Huh? You're being silly! LOL...No, they didn't participate in the prelims award ceremony because they were practicing I assume in Grapevine. They did participate in the FINALS award ceremony.

Huh? You're being silly! LOL...No, they didn't participate in the prelims award ceremony because they were practicing I assume in Grapevine. They did participate in the FINALS award ceremony.

I'm not being silly. The original poster complained that they didn't show up for finals award placements. Dfife simply said they went back to the school and were allowed to change and come back. Like I said before, he was thinking about prelims, not finals, when he said they were practicing at Grapevines stadium.

I'm really sorry.... remember, you are talking to a freshman, yet a smart one at best!! :D

I found all the points for every Area but Area B. They had them up at one time then took them down and just put the order they won. Does anyone know where I can find out the actual points each school got in the finals for Area B?

I found all the points for every Area but Area B. They had them up at one time then took them down and just put the order they won. Does anyone know where I can find out the actual points each school got in the finals for Area B?

all i remember from when i saw the list is that we were ranked 5 9 9 6 6

and we listened to the tapes of one of the judges that gave us 9th and she only said positive stuff... we were hoping she'd tell us things we needed to fix since she had us 9th... i don't see how you can only say positive stuff and then score us so low... but whatever. i'll live. haha

and we listened to the tapes of one of the judges that gave us 9th and she only said positive stuff... we were hoping she'd tell us things we needed to fix since she had us 9th... i don't see how you can only say positive stuff and then score us so low... but whatever. i'll live. haha

Sounds like she probably thought you were executing your responsibilities really well. Other bands may have just had "more" responsibilites and did them well too. I think it's now up to your staff to push the limits of what yall can do as a group. I saw you perform at area, bravo on the best Mansfield i've seen to date- keep up the good culture!

Sounds like she probably thought you were executing your responsibilities really well. Other bands may have just had "more" responsibilites and did them well too. I think it's now up to your staff to push the limits of what yall can do as a group. I saw you perform at area, bravo on the best Mansfield i've seen to date- keep up the good culture!

you're forgetting that they judge based on execution. Not demand.

***edit***

actually there is a spot on the judge's sheet for demand/difficulty but it's only worth 100 points whereas execution is worth 400... if i remember correctly. the sheets in my locker at school. haha

Edited by marcomac29

you're forgetting that they judge based on execution. Not demand.

***edit***

actually there is a spot on the judge's sheet for demand/difficulty but it's only worth 100 points whereas execution is worth 400... if i remember correctly. the sheets in my locker at school. haha

Yeah. I believed the execution vs demand was revised around 2003 if i'm not mistaken. They basically rewrote the how and what portion of the adjudication. Point being you cant march box drills playing the star spangled banner with perfect form and musicality for 8 minutes and win- it just aint gonna happen that way.

To that end... There were probably so many positive comments due to the fact that Mansfield has come such a long way from what they were. UIL judges tend to give commentary in relative to how well the band has progressed throughout it's years.

Edited by pokerface

He makes a good point.

It's one of the reasons some bands do easier shows. They are easier to clean and in the end, will be judged better than harder shows that aren't as clean.

In the end, demand really isn't worth all that much. Definitely not enough to make a drastic change in scoring or placing.

Was this finals or prelims?

The band was taken back to the school to allow them to change out of their uniforms and go back to the stadium.

Just because you did not see them as a group, in uniform, does not mean they were not there.

I was talking about after prelims when their drum majors didnt show up to recieve their participation award. Sorry if my post was confuseing

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...