oops. sorry, I meant varsity. Legacy was considered a non-varsity band their first year.

yeah

and no offense to them

im pretty sure they didn't deserve straight 1's.

i've heard you have to get straight 1's to be able to compete UIL varsity level the following year (state marching contest)

They ended up being 4A though, although I heard they had the option of going 5A but the football coach had the final say

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard you have to get straight 1's to be able to compete UIL varsity level the following year (state marching contest)

No. You move up to Varsity as soon as you have a full enrollment of all grades regardless of what you did at UIL the year before. You do have to get an overall 1 (1-4-1 will work) to advance from Region to Area.

Any school is allowed to move up a classification if desired, but you cannot move down unless your enrollment figures drop. Argyle, one of the smallest 3A bands could move up to 4A if they really wanted to. The Dallas ISD schools did this until just recently. Most of them had 4A numbers (some nearly 3A) but Dallas ISD decided to keep them all 5A so that they could compete with eachother.

No. You move up to Varsity as soon as you have a full enrollment of all grades regardless of what you did at UIL the year before. You do have to get an overall 1 (1-4-1 will work) to advance from Region to Area.

Any school is allowed to move up a classification if desired, but you cannot move down unless your enrollment figures drop. Argyle, one of the smallest 3A bands could move up to 4A if they really wanted to. The Dallas ISD schools did this until just recently. Most of them had 4A numbers (some nearly 3A) but Dallas ISD decided to keep them all 5A so that they could compete with eachother.

oh really?

dang i did not no that.

thanks for the info :]

assuming there are no new bands, here are my predictions

Div 4: Ranchview(an old rival of ours)

Div 3: Timberview

Div 2: Centennial(our crosstown foe)

Div. 1: Haltom

10. Timberview

9. Centennial

8. Martin

7. Mansfield

6. Sachse

5. Creekview

4. Hebron

3. Wylie

2. Berkner

1. Haltom

of course this is just what i believe will happen, and i'll probably be wrong

Edited by the terminator

Pretty similar to my prediction. Though I'd have Berkner in 1st and Haltom in 2nd. However I, like a few of you here (and unlike a couple of the staff members here [heh :P]) believe Wylie is perfectly capable of winning this contest.....they've beaten Hebron in the past back when they were both 4A, and I'd say Hebron, Haltom and Berkner are similar enough in ability now to where it could go any way between them. Wylie has simply been quiet on the contest front the past couple years (especially with their classification switch causing them to miss out on a few Area and State competitions)....it's hard to say but the prevailing winds favor either Berkner or Haltom winning this time....but I just want to say I don't rule Wylie out at all....

assuming there are no new bands, here are my predictions

Div 4: Ranchview(an old rival of ours)

Div 3: Timberview

Div 2: Centennial(our crosstown foe)

Div. 1: Haltom

10. Timberview

9. Centennial

8. Martin

7. Mansfield

6. Sachse

5. Creekview

4. Hebron

3. Wylie

2. Berkner

1. Haltom

of course this is just what i believe will happen, and i'll probably be wrong

no way

i'd edge timberview a little further up

grapevine is going...we go every year so I don't know why we aren't on the list but count us in...

our show is Inside the Labyrinth...it is a pretty sweet show...we'll have to see how it ends up!

Y'all played Marcus last night. Did they march a portion of their competition show or did they just do a crowd/spirit show?

Schedule for now..

Ranchview 11:00

Birdville 11:15

Frisco 11:30

Cedar Hill 11:45

Centennial 12:00

Lunch

Lamar 1:00

Thomas Jefferson 1:15

Guyer 1:30

R.L. Turner 1:45

Red Oak 2:00

Timberview 2:15

Break

Grapevine 2:45

Martin 3:00

Haltom 3:15

Sachse 3:30

Creekview 3:45

Berkner 4:00

Hebron 4:15

Mansfield 4:30

Wylie 4:45

Exhibition: Newman Smith 5:00

Edited by AzNtRoMbOnEcHiCk

I really enjoyed Creekview's show this past year.

I wouldn't count them out yet, either.

I think there are going to be some surprises this year.

From what I hear, Wylie lost a lot of good people. This could mean guard, it could mean players. I have no idea. It's just something I heard through the grapevine.

yeah

and no offense to them

im pretty sure they didn't deserve straight 1's.

They ended up being 4A though, although I heard they had the option of going 5A but the football coach had the final say

Lol.

I was a marching tech there and I definitely agree.

well yeah you also have to realize this past year they definitely got better with dixon taking over and writing their drill, and i'll tell you now he does not write simple stuff.....

No offense, but I don't see much originality in Dixon's drill.

It may be because I have never been a fan.

Don't get me wrong, the guy does what he does well. He's great at music.

But honestly I think that is what kept Summit from reaching their full potential each year. Musically they were ALWAYS pretty on spot. Visually not so much, and I think part of it was his drill.

Once again, I am not trying to bash him or anything.

I just don't think he did too much with Wylie visually.

That could just be me.

No offense, but I don't see much originality in Dixon's drill.

It may be because I have never been a fan.

Don't get me wrong, the guy does what he does well. He's great at music.

But honestly I think that is what kept Summit from reaching their full potential each year. Musically they were ALWAYS pretty on spot. Visually not so much, and I think part of it was his drill.

Once again, I am not trying to bash him or anything.

I just don't think he did too much with Wylie visually.

That could just be me.

yeah i definitely agree with you on that.

I wouldn't say it was his drill though it was usually seemed pretty good to me.

His own style.

But as to other types of visuals and crowd pleasers he was always very relunctant to add stuff like that, also explains why he would never let summit do BOA I suppose.

yeah i definitely agree with you on that.

I wouldn't say it was his drill though it was usually seemed pretty good to me.

His own style.

But as to other types of visuals and crowd pleasers he was always very relunctant to add stuff like that, also explains why he would never let summit do BOA I suppose.

I feel bad for Summit for never getting to do BOA.

It is a really great experience.

I don't know if you have ever gone to watch a BOA contest, but I thouroughly enjoy them more than normal UIL-based contests.

Mmm, but especially in spotlights there wasn't a whole lot of crowd pleasers. Or at least that is what I though. Maybe I am really spoiled from Drum Corp and BOA, so the stuff Summit did every year was good, just now AMAZING.

Lol, but whatever. I guess you're right. He does have his own style. xD And I can definitely TELL when it is Dixon drill.

If it's that distinct it has to be good.

I feel bad for Summit for never getting to do BOA.

It is a really great experience.

I don't know if you have ever gone to watch a BOA contest, but I thouroughly enjoy them more than normal UIL-based contests.

Mmm, but especially in spotlights there wasn't a whole lot of crowd pleasers. Or at least that is what I though. Maybe I am really spoiled from Drum Corp and BOA, so the stuff Summit did every year was good, just now AMAZING.

Lol, but whatever. I guess you're right. He does have his own style. xD And I can definitely TELL when it is Dixon drill.

If it's that distinct it has to be good.

yeah it is what it is.

like they say there are marching bands that happen to play

and

playing bands that happen to march

i tihnk we are more of the playing band, we just happen to march well too

so they've never really felt the need to add all the "crowd-pleasers."

Although if you see our show this year when it is done I think you may be a little suprised.

Bonebrake and Shadman are definitely pushing summit in a new direction.

Schedule for now..

Ranchview 11:00

Birdville 11:15

Frisco 11:30

Cedar Hill 11:45

Centennial 12:00

Lunch

Lamar 1:00

Thomas Jefferson 1:15

Guyer 1:30

R.L. Turner 1:45

Red Oak 2:00

Timberview 2:15

Break

Grapevine 2:45

Martin 3:00

Haltom 3:15

Sachse 3:30

Creekview 3:45

Berkner 4:00

Hebron 4:15

Mansfield 4:30

Wylie 4:45

Exhibition: Newman Smith 5:00

its been confirmed that this is the offical schedule for the contest.

can't wait!

yeah it is what it is.

like they say there are marching bands that happen to play

and

playing bands that happen to march

i tihnk we are more of the playing band, we just happen to march well too

so they've never really felt the need to add all the "crowd-pleasers."

Although if you see our show this year when it is done I think you may be a little suprised.

Bonebrake and Shadman are definitely pushing summit in a new direction.

GOOD!

I can't wait.

Not being in High School anymore, I can openly say if I enjoy a Summit show or not. Before if I did, I would get pummled. Lol.