GN Semis Announcements and Finalists

as far as the interpretation of Bell's show, I really like the idea that the girl is falling asleep and is watching her soul leave her. I wouldn't have thought of that at first, but once it was presented, and I watched it again, it actually makes perfect sense to me.

I think it's largely up to the interpretation of the audience, which is something I like.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to rewatch Bell's show today because I found out that after the girl in the yellow is done and girl in the white comes out, the singing isn't done by a mic'd soloist, it's the entire band singing. Knowing that and watching the video makes a huge difference. I can't imagine what it must've sounded like in person.

Also, I heard that the time limit each band at BOA gets is 11 minutes. If that 11 minutes starts as soon as the announcer finishes announcing your band and ends as soon as your band name is announced at the end of your show, then L.D. Bell used up exactly 11 minutes. The timing on their show was impeccable.

It wasn't even just the whole band singing, there were some parents in the crowd too!

It was creepy! There is already enough reverb in the RCA Dome to make something like that sound like it is coming from all directions, but this time it really was. It felt like the singing wasn't coming from the band, but instead from inside of you.

It felt like the singing wasn't coming from the band, but instead from inside of you.

Heh, and not just inside of you. But inside of each and every one of us. A little piece of LD Bell exists inside of all who believed in them to win Grand Nationals.....

Lol, sorry....your comment just sounds like something a spiritualist or someone would say ^_^ .

It wasn't even just the whole band singing, there were some parents in the crowd too!

It was creepy! There is already enough reverb in the RCA Dome to make something like that sound like it is coming from all directions, but this time it really was. It felt like the singing wasn't coming from the band, but instead from inside of you.

omg, that's amazing.

I would love parents to be involved in a show like that.

There was a band at the DMI last year where the guard had these GIGANTIC rainbow flags at the end (their closer was Nimrod), and the parents had miniature versions of the flag, and they were doing almost the exact same work with them in the stands. It was pretty awesome.

omg, that's amazing.

I would love parents to be involved in a show like that.

There was a band at the DMI last year where the guard had these GIGANTIC rainbow flags at the end (their closer was Nimrod), and the parents had miniature versions of the flag, and they were doing almost the exact same work with them in the stands. It was pretty awesome.

Yup that was Berkner. I loved that show!

Wait, so let me get this straight. L.D. Bell's Grand National Winning score (96.1) is lower than Marcus's Super-Regional Score (96.2).

2 Questions

How?

Why?

This comment is in no way meant to degrade any organizations. It is out of just one person's curiosity. I give the greatest Congratulations to the L.D. Bell band in bringing the Eagle back to Texas!!!!!

Wait, so let me get this straight. L.D. Bell's Grand National Winning score (96.1) is lower than Marcus's Super-Regional Score (96.2).

Two different judging panels on two different days with different bands to compete against. You just can't truly compare scores from two different competitions. It should also be noted that LD Bell got a 97.8 (97.7 with .1 penalty) in GN Semis and that almost every band's scores dropped around 1.5 points from Semis to Finals.

That being said, Marcus had an amazing show that I expect would have done extremely well at GN, but you also have to realize that Marcus' show was designed to peak at San Antonio while LD Bell's show was designed to peak two full weeks later.

could you program an ewi into sounding like multiple instruments at the same time? that'd be pretty awesome if you could!

Different instruments?? I'm not exactly sure. However, I've read that you can program it to play a certain chord structure when you play a note. Very neat stuff.

I remember on the trip up to Grand Nationals in 1999 (I know, I'm old). I sat next to one of my assistant band directors and he showed me a magazine article about the EWI. I never thought these things would be used in competition but here we are!

Didn't Bell also use one of those in their '05 show? I don't see the point in it if you can just press a button to get the same sound.

If I understood what I read somewhere one time, the instrument is able to change tone depending on how your playing. You can also crescendo and decrescendo while holding a note. Something that's a lot harder to do on something like a keyboard. It basically has the same perks as a woodwind instrument but plays many different voices.