Impress Judges or Impress Crowd

At the end of the day would you guys feel more successful if you got first place at a competition and marched a very pristine show with precise accurate marching, or would you feel better if you placed a little lower but absolutely played your heart out and put everything you had into the show and recieved a loud roar from the crowd? Would you rather be a crowd favorite, or a judges choice? For me, it'd be nice to get first place... but i'd much rather know that I had an electrifying show and i love hearing the crowd scream and stand as we exit the field...

I would love both. That would make my night last longer partying.

At the end of the day would you guys feel more successful if you got first place at a competition and marched a very pristine show with precise accurate marching, or would you feel better if you placed a little lower but absolutely played your heart out and put everything you had into the show and recieved a loud roar from the crowd? Would you rather be a crowd favorite, or a judges choice? For me, it'd be nice to get first place... but i'd much rather know that I had an electrifying show and i love hearing the crowd scream and stand as we exit the field...

Well, generally: A = (N + 5B) * L

A is applause loudness

L is how loud the band was

N is the number of people in the audience total

B is number of parents from that band in the audience

I know that's pretty cynical, but it is amazingly true sometimes.

Edited by TheDancingClarinetist

I agree with lyyiddd-2011, its all about how you feel with your own preformance, becuase every crowd is different and some wont pay attention to you or applaud you (football and Poteet parents) and some judges will put out controversial results. At Connally we have had many great examples of feeling proud of yourselves rather than base it off anything else. Last year at BOA Grand Nationals, when we walked off the field from semi-finals we were crying because we had THE preformance of our lives, and when the judges put us at 26th, we didnt care, we were so proud of our show, you would have thought we made finals, and we continue today to talk about that amazing preformance. This year when we walked off the State Finals Field we had an average crowd reaction, but once we got out of the dome, and on the steps by the entrance, we screamed our heads off, because we knew we preformed the show of the year, and we didnt care what placement we got, we won in our hearts, and when we got second, we kept the feeling that we had won, we ignored the crowd and the judges, and celebrated, becuase we knew we PREFORMED our show.

That gave me chills.. When Sherman walked off the field after state almost the whole band was crying..Even low brass. We had a good show and when we got 10th the ones who were crying didn't care.. We said.. That was a great show.. That was OUR show.. Thats what we've needed all year.. And now we've done it.. And thats what matters. Feeling good about giving it everything and feeling good that you just left your heart on the field, feeling good that you did YOUR best, that you tried your hardest, and that you came off that field in tears it was soo good.. Saying that was our best and we know it. I'm proud to be where I am.

Edited by lyyiddd-2011

So then what do you people think about the fact that UIL judging is set up for controlled perfect performances that are hardly entertaining when marching band is supposed to entertain people? It doesn't seem right to me... we are there to entertain not bore them, most of the audience doesn't know the way the music is suppose to sound or the way the form is suppose to look... they just want it to look/sound cool or good...

I'm absolutely not directing this towards any band... just over the years of me being in band i've noticed that UIL tends to be more perfect perfect and BOA seems more emotional/creative and general effect...ish. I just wish they could somehow integrate the two, and that would more accurately (in my opinion) assess how good a bands performance is...

i will have to agree with you there. UIL is teaching execution, which is extremely important, but it doesnt really give incentive to put entertaining drill out there. BOA on the other hand, they have a GE part in the score so it does encourage the mkore entertaining shows. BUT....i do think BOA rewards the bands that execute really well, so i think BOA is one of the better systems out there right now

I perform for the crowd, and I compete to win. If I can get 1st without a single person to clap, I would be happy that we won, knowing that we deserved it, but silently cursing the crowd for not agreeing. In saying this, I would state that I compete for the judges for the competition's win, but I perform for the crowd for the performance's emotion and soul.

For the love of competition, if I could render my section as militants, instead of the stereotypical trumpets they are, I would be more than proud, but in our current status, I would much rather be led by the Low Brass than trumpets. Now, don't take it the wrong way, I LOVE our trumpet section, we have the best of times together during practice and the parties are amazing. The problem is, there are those who will not "lock it down" before a performance; they lack soberness("marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness" http://webster.com/dictionary/sober entry 4).They act silly and goof off at immoderate times, provoking a casual feeling at a time which should be treated sacredly and sacrosanct.

If you see something that may hurt someone, let me know so I may reword it. I'm bad about saying things wrong.

Edited by king_kool360

I disagree about UIL birthing boring shows. Many shows may be boring compared to BOA stlye shows, but I found many of the bands at state intresting. Watching the video of Dickinson gets my blood pumping, not because its my band performing it, but because it is so exciting. I loved just about every band that I got to see at state.

Back to the topic, My individual performance is to impress no one. I dont care what any one thinks. The judges could think it was gold, but if I dont feel confident that it was my best performance, then I am not satisfied. The entire audience could give the band a standing ovation, but the band members know how we performed. Sure its great to hear the crowd go crazy after the last chord played at FFFF, its great to see fans standing and yelling for us. But it takes alot to satisfy the members of our band. After our finals performance at state, I marched off the field with tears rolling down my face. Not tears of joy, not tears of sadness, but tears of anger. We knew what we were capable of, and we knew that our performance was not our best. The crowd was great, the judges gave us 3rd place. But even medaling at state and hearing multiple people in the stands tell us that we were great does not change the way I feel about our performance. I am proud to be part of our band, I am happy that our results were good. But I will never be satisfied knowing that my last performance with my high school band was not our best.

[This may not be the opinion of everyone from Dickinson's band, but this is how I personally feel]

I dont know if this is really on subject, but once I started writing, I couldnt stop.

Edited by dtxtrmpt

So then what do you people think about the fact that UIL judging is set up for controlled perfect performances that are hardly entertaining when marching band is supposed to entertain people? It doesn't seem right to me... we are there to entertain not bore them, most of the audience doesn't know the way the music is suppose to sound or the way the form is suppose to look... they just want it to look/sound cool or good...

I'm absolutely not directing this towards any band... just over the years of me being in band i've noticed that UIL tends to be more perfect perfect and BOA seems more emotional/creative and general effect...ish. I just wish they could somehow integrate the two, and that would more accurately (in my opinion) assess how good a bands performance is...

Hm, I would agree with you but looking at the results from last year its looking like thats not so much the case. Looking at the results from state last year and the results from BOA San Antonio, they are pretty similar. Bell and Marcus in the top 2, reagan was 3rd in prelims at BOA and tied for 3rd in finals at UIL. Clean marching and clean playing equal effect, nobody wants to watch horribly skewed lines or listen to botched woodwind runs. I think the line between "UIL shows" and "BOA shows" is getting smaller and smaller.

The crowd any day of the week. That's who you're there for, you're putting on a show.

If I played a show that got perfect scores from the judges but none of the crowd dug it, then what's the point?

I'm going to expand on this a little bit. But I can't edit for some reason so here's another post:

The crowd any day of the week. That's who you're there for, you're putting on a show.

If I played a show that got perfect scores from the judges but none of the crowd dug it, then what's the point?

I'm there to share with people this gift of music, to hopefully touch people with the passion that I have, to experience WITH them this great thing. I want people to walk out of that place better somehow than when they came in.

And of course I'd be disappointed if I didn't achieve 100% percent of my potential, that means I cheated myself and someone else that I may never see again out of something better.

Of course I care what the audience thinks, if I didn't, I wouldn't be performing in front of them in the first place, and I might as well stay in a practice room my whole life.

At the same time, I am satisfied if I know I gave it my all and I do what I love doing.

And also at the same time, my happiness doesn't hinge completely on what other people think. My happiness comes from inside myself and not as a result of the world around me.

There are some people you just can't get to, and to them I say you go your separate way and I'll go mine.

This is kind of difficult to explain this mindset. At least for me at the current moment. lol

I think you should have both sides of the coin. It's a zen kinda thing.

~Ramos

Edited by BassoonPadwan

I have always found that you can do both

If you pour your heart into a preformance and into execution

you please the crowd and the judges

&& take it from the audience perspective

If I am in the stands

Im going to be watching them preform

not compete

But, if they are not executing well

it will draw away from the preformance

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the two are connected

very rarely will you throw down a show that the crowd absolutely loves

that the judges hate

or vice-versa

I gotta say, I don't really care about a judges opinion, but of course when you do well it is a great feeling. Take Velvet Knights 1988 for example. That was a great show, and the crowd LOVED it, but the judges gave them 11th in finals, which is great, but not the best. My friends and I still talk about that show, performed almost 20 years ago because it was a crowd pleaser. But, that's just my opinion