14. 84.45 Colleyville Heritage

Music: Marcus

General Effect: Marcus

Visual: Marcus

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I don't offend anyone, I'm going to keep this short and sweet, well, at least short. Tonight had some great performances throughout...judging...not so much. I don't agree with the caption sweep, and I dont agree with the scoring, but again, I'll stop there. I just want some things to change, or else this could turn into UIL... I'm sorry if this is going to far, but I think one band had the performance that should have gotten that record breaking score, but we'll just leave it at that. Am I the only one who thinks this way? I don't think so, but oh well...what can you do? Oh thats right...change your judges.

I just got back from the competition and I too have no affiliation with the bands tonight, but I too believe that the scores were a bit off. Just an opinion. I think the placements were ok, I think there could have been some flip flopping here and there...I also think the top 5 all marched better in Prelims than in Finals...but I guess we will have to see what the judges say about that. I think we (Texas) are very fortunate that we have a handful of strong groups going to GN. From what I saw tonight....The Woodlands, Bell and Reagan, all have a shot at the top five if they EXECUTE. I think Reagan was the most improved from Houston to SA, so you have to wonder if they are climbing the mountain and are striving to peak in two weeks.

Thehell? A 96.2 pre-nationals score? WTF? You're approaching Spring '93 Grand Nationals territory at a Super Regional. I haven't seen this show yet but I DOUBT it's Spring '93 or Lassiter '02 good--those bands are clean as heck, and they're marching incredibly hard drill, and their maintaining awesome sounds while they're at it.....I question any show that can approach these legends....Precision and dedication are the only means of attaining those record breaking scores and with how kids in Texas bands these days are sloppier and care less than back in the old days, I don't see how they could even be capable of creating something clean enough to break the old record--even a band as clean as Marcus...especially under the 8-hour rule (which I can't recall whether or not it existed yet in 1993).

Giving a score that high this early is an insult to the legends of old that put forth miracles to earn those legendary scores.

Thehell? A 96.2 pre-nationals score? WTF? You're approaching Spring '93 Grand Nationals territory at a Super Regional. I haven't seen this show yet but I DOUBT it's Spring '93 or Lassiter '02 good--those bands are clean as heck, and they're marching incredibly hard drill, and their maintaining awesome sounds while they're at it.....I question any show that can approach these legends....Precision and dedication are the only means of attaining those record breaking scores and with how kids in Texas bands these days are sloppier and care less than back in the old days, I don't see how they could even be capable of creating something clean enough to break the old record--even a band as clean as Marcus...especially under the 8-hour rule (which I can't recall whether or not it existed yet in 1993).

Giving a score that high this early is an insult to the legends of old that put forth miracles to earn those legendary scores.

While I agree with you for the most part, I wouldnt really consider this part of the season "early." This was most everyones last performance of the year

Marcus was absolutely phenomenal during the prelims. I feel their performance slipped a little during the finals, as did Bell's.

I can see why Marcus beat Bell, and it was simply execution. Marcus also had a more difficult book in terms of music and drill. I will say that I feel Bell deserved GE, but I am not sure how many people REALLY understood the show....it was WAAAAAAY out there....like, hanging off the edge of a cliff out there. Bell performed extremely well too, but I feel today belonged to Marcus.

Recaps are Monday at noon. We'll talk scores then.

Where is the two point difference between Marcus and Bell? I'd bet my money that most of that two points came from Music.

I would agree with that. I feel Bell hardly played at all, but they were playing quite a bit...most of it just happened to be chords. I learned Bell has one fairly good pit, though...

Recaps are Monday at noon. We'll talk scores then.

Where is the two point difference between Marcus and Bell? I'd bet my money that most of that two points came from Music.

I would agree. Musically, I think Marcus did better than Bell. The music caption was actually the only one I fully agreed with. GE? Should've been Bell's in my opinion. The little girl and the walking corpse thing gave me chills throughout the entire show. The ending sealed the whole show. It was great.

dear, dearest Winston Churchill.

I would love so much if you would play like a whole TON in your shows. because yall sounded amazing. like amazing grace? OHYEAH. sounded GREAT. please? please? i want to hear more of that sound! it was SO GOOD.

also.

brazoswood.

yall are awesome. getting to talk with yall on the way into retreat was great!

Marcus was absolutely phenomenal during the prelims. I feel their performance slipped a little during the finals, as did Bell's.

I can see why Marcus beat Bell, and it was simply execution. Marcus also had a more difficult book in terms of music and drill. I will say that I feel Bell deserved GE, but I am not sure how many people REALLY understood the show....it was WAAAAAAY out there....like, hanging off the edge of a cliff out there. Bell performed extremely well too, but I feel today belonged to Marcus.

Are you sure about the harder book comment? (Just wondering.)

I have seen both Bell and Marcus many times this season, and I have to say Bell's seems way more complex.

Which is why I think Marcus outshines Bell at each of these contests.

Don't get me wrong. Both bands are awesome. I'm in no way dissing either of them. ^_^

I don't know if any of you will know.. but.

Is there a reason the tubas in Bell's band sit on the sidelines for half the show?

Haha. Just one of my curiosities.

It's hard to speculate without the recaps in front of you. Marcus deserved the win. Two point gap? I'll have to wait for the recaps but I'm willing to bet that the gap was widened in the General Effect category.

We must realize that Marcus is doing things musically that cannot be touched. A full band rubato in the ballad is extremely difficult to pull off on the field. Having your trumpets double tongue in the beginning and end of the show is extremely difficult, period.

You could feel a slight "distain" about the two point gap in the Alamodome. I would have expected a louder crowd response but instead, I felt like people were rolling their eyes more than they were clapping. I know the Txbands.com Staff and I jumped up and nearly crapped our pants after hearing the 96.2 announcement. We may have been only 10 people in the audience that knew that Marcus broke the Highest Regional Score in the history of Bands of America.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone at the San Antonio Super Regional for some fantastic performances. I'll hit you guys up when I have time to digest the recaps. Mmmmmmmmmmmm recaps....