Best Rising Bands in the State

A few bands I'd like to see make comebacks are Fossil Ridge and Berkner. I remember seeing both of these bands my freshman year and was floored by their performances. I remember thinking, "Man, when is our band gonna be that good?" It seems like they're both back on track to the high level of performance they used to put out.

Also, Fata1, you're correct about Centennial and Southwest. These are two relatively young schools, and (I might be wrong about this) they were both in the finalists of the 4A Honor Band competition, right? They could certainly stir up some stuff in a few years.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Fata1, you're correct about Centennial and Southwest. These are two relatively young schools, and (I might be wrong about this) they were both in the finalists of the 4A Honor Band competition, right? They could certainly stir up some stuff in a few years.

Yeah. Centennial and Southwest both placed really high in Honor Band also. Centennial took second and Southwest took third.

I honestly think Berkner is on a rise. They come from one of the best school districts for music. They have been honor band 3 times and been in the top 7 more than I can count. Since 1998 Berkner has advance to state every year.... 1998-7th, 2000-7th, 2002-3rd, 2004-14th, 2006-9th. In BOA 1995 2nd place to Spring, At BOA Arlington 3rd in 2002, 9th in 2003 and 10th in 2004. I could go on and on...

Berkner was a classical symphony on a marching field. Excellent music, ok marching..no visual.. crappy guard.. etc etc. Music alone cant get you into the best of the best. But it seemed to be just enough for UIL, but lacked at BOA some.

But, they are in a new direction I believe, and its not just cause I went there blah blah. I seriously think Mr. Troyka could totally change the band around. They are already musically shaped to succeed, but now he needs to work on the visuals and marching aspects. In a year or 2 the contracts on the uniforms will be up, and he can get his own image that he wants, and succeed from there. His way of teaching, and his knowledge will take any band up to be recognized. I just cant wait for him to pull it off!

Oh and some more bands I would like to see to get more noticed and I think will be someday are Rowlett, Allen, and Brazoswood.

i hadnt even opened this topic yet and the first band that i thought of when i read the title was hebron. man i cant even say anything else about them bc if i start it would take so long to type all of it. yes they still have their faults but they are coming up and im excited for them.

I'd count that as already at the top. Not a rise.

Making it to the state marching contest means that you're pretty dang good... i think at least.

um emily, hebron didnt do soulja boi.. that would be central.

haha nice try though. ps: quit being so cocky.. lol

um, Hebron does do Soulja Boy, dear. I have to watch it everyday in rehearsal. We're not the only ones, that's for sure, but I wouldn't make snappy comments if you don't really know...

Natalie, perhaps you should take into context when the post was made. Capncrunk made that post shortly after Birdville, BEFORE Hebron put soulja boy on the field.

You should not make snappy comments if you do not notice everything about the post.

thanks for defending me. i def. DID make that comment right after birdville.

In 4A....Saginaw. I just have to represent my home band. nothing is better than honoring the veterans. (our show is "A Purple Heart") We are new and no one knows where saginaw is. and no, its not boswell.

Don't get me wrong.. Saginaw is a good band but yall have got a ways to go. but props on your show this year. i def. enjoyed watching it last friday. :)

I realize no one has seen us yet, but in a couple years I feel like we(frisco wakeland) can be a major contender in 4A. This weekend in a difficult contest we were able to beat Wills Point, and was ahead of Centennial at prelims and gave Waxahachie and Canton a run for their money. I realize we have a long way to go before getting established in the marching band community, but we fell like we can get there

Well I think that Dickinson(4A) is doing extremly well this year. We arent a new band. Dickinson used to be one of the top bands in the state, but then we had a change of directors and havent really gotten back to the same level of excellence. I hope to see Dickinson do very well this year. It would be great for us to become " The Pride of Dickinson" again.

Hey, I know about y'all. Tell Billy, Summer, and JR that Zach says hi!

Natalie, perhaps you should take into context when the post was made. Capncrunk made that post shortly after Birdville, BEFORE Hebron put soulja boy on the field.

You should not make snappy comments if you do not notice everything about the post.

OH woah, sorry- hah that was def. my mistake! I just saw that and knew they'd been rehearsing that week, but I forgot it wasn't public yet. That other person definitely must've been like, PSYCHIC then :-P sorry if my comment sounded mean. I'm really not. :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Being from Fort Worth, I can't comment much about what's going on in the rest of the state, but...

My middle school band basically split in two; half the kids went into Paschal's band (me), the rest went into Southwest's. That said, what Mr. Dunn has done with the program is excellent. They got screwed over with an early placement at Region UIL, but they're good.

Western Hills is also improving. Dolkos (formerly of Arlington Martin, now at Weatherford) turned them around in one year, and they keep getting better. They'll be going to state in two years.

Crowley is also good. Sanchez has done some good work with the band...they keep moving up the ranks...expect them to go to state in the near future as well.

Finally, Paschal (my own school). Mr. Casanova has basically turned the band around totally since he came in 2003. Last year, we made UIL sweepstakes for the first time in 30-some-odd years, and have just kept going this year. While the graduating class this year is one of the best the school has ever seen (in all areas, not just band), we hope to be in contention with Marcus and Bell, etc., next year. Wish us luck!

I actually do know Clear Brook; not only do I live in the Clear Creek area (when I'm not in college haha. I'm actually new to that area..) but my friends & I caught their shows after our band performed in UIL when they were still in region 19. I've always thought they were great, so I couldn't really say they're a RISING band, but they're really really amazing.

Galena Park, in my opinion, is a rising band that not many people have heard of. My old high school (Channelview) band always competed against them in 4A, and they've really improved over the last few years. They even made alternate to state this year in Area F, which is AMAZING for a band who used to be in the bottom of area rankings. They. Even. Beat. Santa Fe (*insert triumphant music here*). I'm really amazed with these people and because I knew a lot of people there in high school, I guess I am a little biased. There really is no mistaking how they're a rising band though....and I believe it's all because of their motivation to succeed

I'm a 3A guy, and Canton has certainly dominated the past few years. However Argyle moving up to 3A has made things interesting for sure. Placing 5th in their first year at 3A SMC isn't bad at all. Their show was easily the most challenging, marching and playing, it just wasn't as clean as it could have been. They had an extremely good program this year when I saw them at Plano as well, beating many 4/5As. Crystal City is also a great program to watch in 3A. Their sound is phenomenal on the field.

Edited by kollormn

I would agree that Hebron has a little work to do, mostly I think in the music aspect of their shows. The tone is not quite there yet. There is much more to marching band than playing loud. With that many players on the field, you don't need to blast to have an impressive sound.

I am a HUGE fan of Hebron though. Your show last year, music in every direction, was just AMAZING! I loved the DDR steps! All your shows are extremely creative. Honestly, I think your GE should be right up there with Marcus'. The scoring this year at Birdville was absolute BS. Not trying to degrade Marcus here, they made a flawless show, but were they 10 full points better than Hebron? Absolutely not. I think at most 2 or 3 points. I felt that their was very clean, but not exciting.