The Chat Room

Why am I no longer a music major?

Two words:

Aural Skills.

Let's just say, we have grad students who come in from other music programs across the nation that struggle through this class. And I'm just a freshman! hahaha. It's sooooooooo hard, and I don't have the time to deal with it.

God.....Aural <_ .>

That's the class where the teacher plays a stream of eight to ten 4-part block chords on a piano at quarter note = 45 and after finishing gets up from the piano and says, "Ok class, now write down every single note I just played...-1 for every wrong note".....well, it only got that extreme for me a couple of times, but most of the time they'd still make you write down the bass note and the top note of each chord.

Edited by takigan

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

uhh, ear stuff is going to kill me in college. I have a damaged ear from ear infections as a child, far from tone deaf, but I notice it is weaker now that im trying to train it. I do amazing in the written part of music theory, but when it comes to dictation, I'm not great at all.

• 3 months later...

Taking composition classes really doesn't teach you how to compose. And you can't really take a "composition class" without at least some basic knowledge of music theory. You learn how to compose by composing, and learning from your mistakes as you go. You can take Music Theory classes or read books on music theory, which will give you a better understanding as to how music functions which can help you be a better composer, but a lot of the great music out there (Classical or not) was composed by people with little or no formal training at all.

That being said, many community colleges with viable music programs offer courses in Music Theory at low costs (a few hundred dollars a semester). Anything is possible if you're committed enough.

• 4 weeks later...