• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Poteet this year has more on their plate than they think.

First off, there's always those classics like Birdville and Sherman.

But now, The Colony High School is 4A, and since they have been 5A state Champions, I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset Poteet this upcoming year.

Area C is going to be some stiff competition to qualify for the three spots to state. Centennial, Birdville, The Colony, Sherman, Wylie and Mckinney are going to be at each others throats to be the top three bands in that area.

My bet is on Centennial, Birdville and The Colony to come out on top.

Top 5 in the state would be those three along with Poteet and... who knows

that wylie band moved up to 5A this year. Sherman is always good, but I really like Centennial's chances. Although I'm at Wakeland I have to admit you guys are better than Frisco last year, and considering you made finals at all your tournaments I think you have what it takes. Oh yeah what is your new show like

Area G will likely be Roma and another band from the Corpus/Kingsville area. If I had to pick another, it would be between H.M. King and Gregory Portland.

Among those choices, Roma will probably (although not guaranteed) make finals. I can never tell with them because they are not as competitive on non-state years, but during state years....watch out! BOA during 2005 testifies to that (missed finals by a spot with a UIL-ish show).

I see Poteet and Frisco Centennial making a run to finals @ 4A state.

Also look out for bands like Roma, Fossil Ridge, Birdville, and The Colony to make a run.

But dont forget upcoming bands like Midlothian and Waxahachie.

4A is also full of killer bands.

But, I don't see a clear defined winner yet.

wow, that's awesome to hear others say that CHS has a shot at getting after Poteet for state champs.

And, it's also a major relief to hear that Wylie has moved up to 5A! GOD!!! We struggled to beat them this year at the Desoto Marching Classic... so that makes the top 5 in Area C go down to a top 4 battle royale...

And I'm also very interested in finding out what area Fossil Ridge is in. I remember seeing them at Birdville, and (no offense to the band at all), but Centennial was actually rather surprised to be placed behind Fossil Ridge. Therefore, don't expect to get of easy with us this year. hahahaha.

This year our show is based off of Michael Daugherty's "Bells for Stokowski" and is basically unlike anything we've ever done before. The show title is simply called "Bells!", it'll be four mvmts. long. Our highlight of the show is easily Mvmt. 3, lots of mixed meter and time sig. changes. It's supposed to be like a jazz section where we're basically going to drown the show in G.E.

And, Like I said before, our closer is going anywhere from 180-210, so if that doesn't impress the judges, I'm not quite sure what will...

wow, that's awesome to hear others say that CHS has a shot at getting after Poteet for state champs.

And, Like I said before, our closer is going anywhere from 180-210, so if that doesn't impress the judges, I'm not quite sure what will...

Michael likes to talk a lot of smack so excuse him. We are very humble and excited to be placed in the same category as some of the great bands that we are placed with. Now, I've got be a little cocky too. I think that the only thing that has kept us from state was our small numbers. However, we are growing, and we have put so much time and effort already into this show that I think we will make state.

Centennial has worked hard to make a name for itself, and I'm proud to call myself a member.

Now, I've got to agree that our show this year is pretty difficult. We have lots of fast marching and mixed meter. It's going to be insane, and I'm excited. Who else is excited for 4A state year? Woot woot!

And I'm also very interested in finding out what area Fossil Ridge is in. I remember seeing them at Birdville, and (no offense to the band at all), but Centennial was actually rather surprised to be placed behind Fossil Ridge. Therefore, don't expect to get of easy with us this year. hahahaha.

well im sorry you feel that way, but that's just your school's opinion now isnt it? anyway. i believe we are in area a

well, there are no such things as gaurantees. while marijana was right, the thing that really hurt us this year was our size (Judges literally wrote "GREAT! Only thing missing is numbers..." on our sheets) I'm a little afraid that if we add in a bunch of freshmen, the quality might not be as good.

And sorry for offending you, whoever the girls is from Fossil Ridge. I didn't mean it like, overly negative, but it's no lie, our school was shocked to find out that we placed behind you.

And we are slighly revenge seeking in our program. I remember my freshmen year, Frisco High beat us at a competition in Denton (They were 3rd, we were 4th). Basically what we did from then out was mop the floor with them. We destroyed them at U.I.L. (straight 1's vs. straight 2's) and we beat them at our spring trip (2 1st place finishes vs. ... well idk what they placed). At area the next year, we made 6th and they made 14th... so yah, that's the only logic I have behind it...

And there's also the fact that they 5 bands that did beat us at area 2 years ago competed against us at some competitions last year, and we always made it a point to at least ATTEMPT to beat them, and that turned out ... ehh, slighly succesful.

lucky you guys, you are going up against bands out west which are not that good and you guys are way better them, so I think you guys are a lock to make state.

haha, i know, my cousins band is now in our area and they are rather... uhm, lacking in the talent department (granted, they are a 2A band and our school has more people in it than their town does...).

I'm also extremely curious to see what Poteet is going to be pulling out this year.

Hopefully they won't have the same opening set as last year, and the year before, and the year before. lol.

Does anybody have any info on how the 4A bands in South Tx are? I've never heard any big names from the 4A category come out from there, but I'm extremely curious to see who could appear from that area.

ok. another centennial person here.

what was said about our band being shocked that fossil ridge beat us-very true-but the shock was more from the fact that we beat you guys in two of the three major categories(i.e. music-centennial, marching-centennial, ge-fossil ridge) and then placed behind you. reasonable shock if you ask me. and its nothing personal. in fact, i know quite a few ppl in our band liked your show(video game songs wasnt it? i cant remember for sure). i just didnt want you guys to get the wrong impression about our band.

as far as state goes for 4a, well, im gonna say Area B is gonna be a bloodbath. with sherman, birdville(i believe), the colony, centennial, and maybe one or two others it is gonna be a tough area. im gonna have to bet on sherman makin it to state as well as birdville. cant say who the third may be(assuming 15 bands will make area). then in the state competition i see poteet and sherman gettin up into the finals. id also include fossil ridge, friendswood, and another band that makes it outta area b in finals

how are the 4a bands in south texas? i know there are some good 5a schools around san antonio, does the same go for 4a?

Yah David, birdville is in our Area, I think that we actually compete in their stadium, but I'm not quite sure. I have a feeling it may actually be in Abilene, just like Area auditions were.

And thanks for clearing up the whole fossil ridge issue.

Unfortunately, I've been looking at the bands in the regions of area B (which is what we are in now, sorry I got them mixed up earlier) and I don't think we will have 15 bands make area. Therefore, the competition in the top four (birdville, centennial, the colony and sherman) only gets harder, and the blood bath will only get bloodier.

uhm, basically it's us, the colony, sherman, birdville in the easy top four. Keller high could present a problem, but almost all the other bands are really really easy.

if you go to the uil website, you can pick out the area alignment and see all the regions in our area (I think its like... regions 5, 7, 24 and 25).

Maybe Frisco high will be able to pull something together with a new director...

QUOTE (ClaireAnnette07 @ Jun 12 2007, 04:30 PM)
My prediction for Area F state qualifiers are Friendswood and Dickinson, just like it's been for (at least) 2 4A State marching years

I, however, hope that Galena Park kicks the pants off Dickinson this year (if I can't root for my alma mater, who is 5A, then I go for GP!)

I hear ya. I graduated from an Area F 4A school myself (Angleton) and Dickinson, Friendswood & Santa Fe were always fighting for the top spots. The closest we ever got was at Area F in 2001 when we tied for Friendswood for the final spot for State. However, Friendswood ended up breaking the tiebreaker.

I don't see any changes from 4A Area F anytime soon. Friendswood & Dickinson are fantastic bands.

Where is Area F located? It sounds like it's out down in south west Tx...

I hope we can get 20 to go to area. But our region now only has about 6 or 7 4A bands, and assuming that every other region has the same numbers, we'd hafta hope that EVERY one of them made area... hmm, I really hope we have the 20, because last year we had 19...

Area F consists of the Houston/Galveston & Beaumont areas...basically southeast & east Texas :)

Yeah, I you're right mbui...Friendswood & Dickinson will probably be the Area F state advancers again. I have to admit that Friendswood is AMAZING, but so was Angleton when I saw them at Area when i was a freshman & Dickinson as well. I think it'll be close between those three.