Band Problems: Let's Talk

since it's getting slow...i thought we might all have a 1 on 1x with everybody.

If you are having any problems in band with people or with music or anything of that assortment...then bring your problems to this topic so that we can talk about it and try to fix it...i'm sure that somebody will have some good advice and might have gone thru some of the same things that you might have. So let's TALK!!!

anything...anybody??? :blink:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a good rule of thumb for any brass player is to open your jaw and throat as much as possible to get a nice, open sound. Try to maintain the same embochure for notes in all octaves...it takes a lot of discipline to do so, but it really helps your sound for those registers you are not comfortable with.

And most importantly...air. Air, air, air, air, and more air. And incase you aren't sure, more air. Try to ALWAYS keep your airstream fast and constant. I could probaby be here forever talking about how important air is and how it has an impact on your sound, but for the most part, just remember that a fast air stream is vital to a good sound.

You do nothing unless it's positive. As a director, I'd be more upset if you as a so-called leader were to tell someone that they COULDN'T do something instead of trying to help them be a better leader.

Now don't take my quote out of context. I'm not condescending on you. Just saying that as a leader you job is to lead and help those around you become better. If someone else wants to be a leader but aren't very good at it, don't tell them that they are bad, but give tips on how they could possibly be a better leader.

I never tell a kid they can't succede because there is possibility. The fact that people didn't believe I can make region band none the less make a higher chair than last chair in Wind Ensemble considering the fact that I was in the last band for my freshmen and sophomore years. Guess what.. I'm 4th chair and surprised a lot of people. I made region band.

I'm glad to know that I am a role model to some of the clarinets, and I plan to stay that way. So who are you to judge who can't be a leader? It's the effort. I'm a dillegent worker.

QUOTE (MartinHorn @ Feb 25 2007, 11:47 AM)
So do band kids. When Directors have a problem what do they do? Consult other directors. I know none of us have music degrees, but we can still give each other advice.

Yeah, I'd much rather take the advice of a band director than half the kids on here, but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, I'd much rather take the advice of a band director than half the kids on here, but whatever floats your boat.

I agree with this comment for the most part, but I also agree with MartinHorn; asking the director can be intimidating at times. I personally am not in that type of a situation, but I know a lot of people are.

Many people also get their knowledge and information from directors, so just because a student said it doesn't mean it should quickly be dismissed.

In regards to advising people how to be leaders, while we may not all be leaders here, leadership really is a two-way thing; you have the leader and the follower. Without the followers, you have no leader, so I think any advice is valuable, especially from followers since they are the ones that are being instructed by the supposed leader.

I think the leader in question should look at it from the other person in question's shoes. that usually helps but I might just be incredibly stupid, you tell me. :mellow:

No, you have a point. I know you're talking about something else, but I remember as a freshman, I had a hard time marching, and remembering how I felt and knowing the new freshmen felt helped me get through to them when I became section leader my junior & senior years.

and btw...it was just a scenario...i would never be like "you can't do it" because I don't believe that people aren't capable of doing things. If we all have a determination to do something then we can succeed in whatever we want to do.

let's just say Barisaxy08 was just trying to give a heads up for someone else... ;)

NEW SCENARIO!!!

there's a person in band who wants to act like a rebel during marching season...and everytime you try to help them become a better marcher, they want to act like they are too "hard" to take discipline...what would you do about the situation?

Kill them. Honestly, hand them over to your band directors, if they still won't cooperate, the directors can decide to kick them out.