2006 UIL State

It's called a joke people.

Yes, but it's true. At our Area contest, the top 5 bands at finals got VERY consistent rankings by judges. I believe that the bands that moved on to state from our area were the right guys for the job, it's just crazy that the 25 other bands had rankings all over the place by the judges. This wasn't a problem specific to our area either, apparently many other areas both 3A and 5A had this issue. Consistency by judges has been an issue with band directors for years. I don't know what the solution is, but I do think it's a problem. But this isn't just specific to UIL, I'm sure this is something that every state sees this.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just wish UIL would adopt a system like BOA and DCI... Their system is usually pretty accurate... And trust me, I know about inconsistent judging...

There is no way to tell whether or not those systems are accurate because, in general, they don't have multiple judges in the same caption.

The only caption that BOA has multiple judges in is Music GE. If you look at those two judges, they tend to be quite inconsistent with eachother.

This gets into such a gray area that has been debated for about 15+ years now. BOA vs UIL vs anything else.

BOA - What EXACTLY is GE? How do you measure GE anyway? Music GE vs Visual GE makes my head hurt.

UIL - Not accountable with a "point system" and switches out judges between Prelims and Finals. Therefore, what Judge A thought was fantastic, Judge B hates. Also....there always seems to be ONE judge who is out of whack with the others.

Personally, I'm always in favor of full contact marching band. Put two bands on the field at the same time and the band that does their show the best.....wins. I imagine that would not sit too well with parents, but oh well.

and it completely ruined the chances of others

i would totally say something else but what i`ll say is this...WE STEPPED iT UP --we came back with a vengeance + gave it everything we could. us meeting a goal for the first time in six years shouldn't be something negative. Don't seriously tell me we completely ruined the chances of others.

This looks like another awesome year for Texas Bands.

Bands qualifying from Area to State:

Area A:

Keller

Northwest

Americas

Area B:

Marcus

L.D. Bell

Richland

Haltom

Hebron

Area C:

Duncanville

Coppell

Berkner

Rowlett

Area D:

Akins

Cedar Park

Bowie

Reagan

Churchill

Area E:

Langham Creek

Clements

Stephen F. Austin

Area F:

Spring

Brazoswood

The Woodlands

Klien

Clear Brook

Area G:

Hanna

Harlingen

Donna

SA Taft

PSJA North

Harlingen South

omg, i can't wait to see l.d.bell!! ahh!!

agreed... i have to say that Bell has always had good taste in marching music and their shows are always usually great... they are going to be a force at state

HmM, its funny because their cymbal line dress they HAD is the same as the one we got our pattern from. i bet its weird to see another cymbal line with the dress you had. but they got new uniforms + i`m guessing no more cymbal dresses. oh, + we're [red] raiders + they're the BLUE raiders. HaHa, i really wanted a picture with them or something...lol, i`m such a dork!!