Mansfield

Lewisville

* Marcus

Lamar

* Haltom

* Hebron

Plano West

Granbury

** Allen (Totally depends on the judges)

Arlington

Southlake Carroll

North Crowley

** Summit

Timberview

** Plano East

Bowie

Creekview

Newman Smith

Dang, there will be a lot of good bands that won't even make Finals at this competition.

It should be 10.  Every area with 21+ bands in it has a 10 band finals.  I think Xenon was just leaving the final two spots open for a couple of the bands he has in italics.

Ah, you're right. I didn't read all of the little tidbits about italics and bolds and stuff. And, Plano East was on the list but I just missed see their name. Well, there goes both of my questions.

Hmm... My picks for advancing go to Marcus, Hebron, Bell, Richland, and Haltom. Even so, Plano East, Martin, and Wylie could easily upset any of those bands. It's going to be crazy exciting seeing everyone's A game at the same competition. Really, though, I think the only bands that have a SURE shot at advancing are Marcus and Bell. The combinations for the next three bands could go 1000 ways and it would STILL represent Area B very well.

i figured they'd at least make finals, idk. but, like i said i haven't seen them in a while. that's not right... putting ALL those good bands together and only picking four. while in places like west texas... ah, i won't get into it, but you get my point.

that feels so weird hearing you say marcus is a garuntee. because when i went there, we were always the underdog that somehow miraculously made it, lol.

i figured they'd at least make finals, idk. but, like i said i haven't seen them in a while. that's not right... putting ALL those good bands together and only picking four. while in places like west texas... ah, i won't get into it, but you get my point.

that feels so weird hearing you say marcus is a garuntee. because when i went there, we were always the underdog that somehow miraculously made it, lol.

Well, maybe Marcus was an underdog three years ago, but starting last year, you guys are easily one of the best bands in the state. I foresee a battle to the death between Bell and Marcus for state champion this year.

Well, maybe Marcus was an underdog three years ago, but starting last year, you guys are easily one of the best bands in the state. I foresee a battle to the death between Bell and Marcus for state champion this year.

ehh no offense but im alil skeptical about that.

its anyones battle theres some band that really stepped up and you cant count them out. then theres thers the bands that made finals in 04 that are still very good.

Yes, UIL is a different contest than BOA. This still doesn't stop Bell from doing very well at UIL contests. 2004 State Champs, 2002 2nd place, 2000 State Champs. To say that Bell is a BOA band is false.

I never said that Bell was a BOA band. Take a look at the UIL State Marching Archives and that'll prove that. My point is that it's selling bands short to be skeptical about their possible UIL placements by just looking at BOA results alone. At this point, Bell has only competed in a majority of BOA contests when compared to those put on by the UIL. So logically, most people base their predictions off of past UIL performances and recent BOA results. While it's a nice indicator for looking at contenders, it doesn't count anyone out. But in the fast-paced world of 5A marching band, it's terribly hard to be skeptical about many of these bands.

Your thoughts don't flow very well, but I'll respond to what is stated well. True, people do base their ideas of contenders off past competitions, but only because it's a smart thing to do. I'm sure Band X over here sitting in last place at the past competition isn't going to become miraculously better overnight and suddenly unseat a perennial state finalist.

I also agree with the fact that any other high level band could come in and sweep the State competition. I'm well aware of that fact. I was simply stating that I believe Marcus and Bell will take 1st and 2nd this year, in any order, based on what I have seen.

And yes, I know Bell isn't strictly a BOA band. If you look at my other post, I referred to them as UIL state champs in 2004 and 2000, as well as being runner up in 2002.

I am surprised you don't even see Plano going to the finals. I agree that they won't make state, but they are just as good if not better than Allen or East

I haven't seen Plano this year and classically they have not been nearly as good as East, but I have been hearing things from some very respected sources saying that you may be right.